View Poll Results: What would the members like to do?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go a few more months without a Board of Directors to try it out?

30 57.69%
  • Start looking for and putting together a replacement Board of Directors right away?

22 42.31%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VOTE info regarding the SCMAS club and it's future

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

VOTE info regarding the SCMAS club and it's future

For those who don't already know, the Board of Directors for the SCMAS has been dissolved. I have quoted the initial post below that notified the members with access to the members only area. Being as there is no longer a board of directors, the club is now in the hands of it's own members. That being said, some members feel the club would be better run with a new board, while other members feel that the club has taken a positive direction since the board stepped down. For that reason, I have created this thread offering all the option to vote on the manner. The vote will be open for 30 days to allow the less frequent visitors opportunity to chime in as well.

Let's try to keep the thread civil and discuss pros and cons to both sides. Share information and ask questions. Hopefully some good will come of this either way.

This is the original post by the previous president of the club on August 8th:
    "Dissolution of the Board
    This is to inform the club membership that the BOD, in counsel with previous BOD members, has decided to dissolve the BOD at this time. The club will go on. The website will stay up and things will still go on as they always do here on the forum. The only real difference will be that since there is no BOD there will be no meetings or events planned by them. Our greatest desire here is for the club to rise from the ashes like a phoenix. This decision has not been taken lightly. With all the drama, conspiracy theories, slander etc that has happened over the last couple of years, we feel that it is the only way to move forward. This allows members to step up and move the club forward with no questions of biased loyalties, sponsor control etc. Eric aka calvin415 and Paul Murfman will act as a disciplinary committee to handle anyone who gets out of line in the meantime. Others will stay on as website admin as well. So please look at this as the dawn of a new day and new direction. Not as an end but as a new beginning. If you have questions, please feel free to ask and be the change you wish to see."
    ✞Never let insincere sincerity be your response. And don't engage in selfish acts of selflessness.✞
    - Joseph
    My 180g mixed reef: http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...e-s-180-build.
    DBTC Received- Orange Delight zoas, purple digi (died), sour apple bird's nest
    DBTC Given- 5xs Eagle Eyes, 3xs orange digi, 20xs L.A. Lakers Monti, reverse space monster, 2xs clover polyps, 2xs neon green birds nest.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I'll go first. In reading some of what's going on I initially agreed completely with the decisions the old board made. I think it may be a good chance for the club to just share their enjoyment of the hobby without all the red tape, back stabbing, blame, etc. However, I also see the point another reefer made that perhaps different board members would have handled situations differently. However, none of those others stepped up at the last election and I remember it seeming like pulling teeth just to get people to volunteer. I wonder if it will be different this time round?
    I know for sure that it seems to be getting better already since the decisions was made. I personally think we should give it some time and fully try out this new club in the hands of it's members idea. I say give it a shot and if it doesn't work out that well, nothing is lost. We can simply vote for a new BOD down the road a bit. I know that's a simplified view. But that's the goal right now. The details can get worked out either direction the decisions goes.
    ✞Never let insincere sincerity be your response. And don't engage in selfish acts of selflessness.✞
    - Joseph
    DBTC Given- 5xs Eagle Eyes, 3xs orange digi, 20xs L.A. Lakers Monti, reverse space monster, 2xs clover polyps, 2xs neon green birds nest.

Website Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree 100% with what Joseph said. I mean the previous BOD didn't just quit and I think it would be unfair if it was painted that way. In fact, I think all of them said they are willing to do what ever it takes to help the club, disbanding the BOD being one of them. Like Joseph said in a few months the club is not going to fall apart without a BOD. Especially with Paul and Eric running mod/disipline to keep the site clean. I know they are both pretty well respected by everyone so it isn't like we are submitting to anarchy or chaos. The website is paid out through 2015 so there is no need to fund raise in the immediate future. Additionally, their is like ~$1500+ in the club account with the current leading idea being to put it in an account under three trusted names with two needed to withdraw, while posting, publicly, who those people are and what the amount is. So at any time the club will be able to say "now is the time to reinstate the BOD and move forward". For that path I see minimal downsides. For the path of the "BOD now," I see the same thing that has happened in the past. People with good intentions not realizing the amount of effort that it takes to meet the expectations of the members, and even if a few do have the effort realizing that it takes the whole BOD and then realizing the whole BOD isn't as committed. Then that BOD dealing with the members who aren't pleased that everything wasn't just fixed. Just seems to me one way is an experiment with no prep, where the other way is some down time to prep for the same experiment.
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh crap! Its neck and neck. What a nail biter!
    -Jay

"It's necessary to be slightly underemployed if you are to do something significant." - James D. Watson

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wet paycheck View Post
    oh crap! Its neck and neck. What a nail biter!
    lmbo!
    - Joseph

Post Thanks / Like
    David, how would you prep? There is no current BOD to learn anything from and maybe that's for the better anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    And isn't running the poll for a month the same thing as going without a BOD for a while?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRuby View Post
    And isn't running the poll for a month the same thing as going without a BOD for a while?
    One of the major changes that comes with not having a board is that we will no longer have sanctioned meetings every month. So I suggest several months (say 3-6?) to see how the members step up. Marty and Rita stepped up and already had a great BBQ in place of a sanctioned meeting and we already have a volunteer offering a meeting next month as well (Murfman I think). Previous to the recent changes we had a member offering a Frag Swap free of charge at his house. If these types of things keep occurring over several months time, we may find the need for 5 persons to regulate and guide us is really unneeded. This is our opportunity to put on our big boy panties and schedule what needs scheduling, offer what needs offering, put up notifications when notifications are available, answer each other's questions, buy and sell, and trade, and converse, and enjoy the hobby. I think that that can be done without a board. I could be wrong, but I do believe it will take longer than a months time to find out.
    - Joseph

Website Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRuby View Post
    David, how would you prep? There is no current BOD to learn anything from and maybe that's for the better anyway.
    I think the prep comes with people throwing meetings without the pressure of them being on the BOD and being able to learn the ropes of what you need to do and what makes a successful event. It also lets groups of friends build that can collectively help each other pull these off.

In anycase, if a new BOD is to be successful given our current state. I think to meet member expectations you all must attend every single meeting. The prez and vice prez need to be very vocal at each meeting, introducing yourself to everyone and basically being a very good steward of the party. They need to brief the club at each meeting of the new happenings and ideas the BOD has been thinking of. They all need to be on the forum all the time. If there is a thread advertising an event, they all need to constantly show there enthusiam for that event. None of the BOD can ever let their emotions come through on the forum(my major downfall). I'm sure there are a few more things, but am running out of time. Anyway, while these seem like they would be easy I think the only way that these will happen is if the entire BOD takes an active hand. This can mean an hour or two a day, for all BOD members. I just hope that if we do go with the BOD route, that those that step up really give a good thought about it and are truely dedicated to put in equal effort for all the BOD does. If they do, I'm sure they will be successful.
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with all of that David. I was very disappointed at the meeting at Lance's house when the only board member there was Dustin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I know I'm new here, and technically not even a member yet, but just to throw my 2 cents in:
    The club I was in in Florida was a pretty easy going one, and we all basically voiced that we did not want a BOD or even officers for that matter. We had one guy that was a treasurer, one guy that was the webmaster, and a couple of forum moderators (myself being one). That said, it was probably the best club I have ever been in. We posted right after a meeting to see if anyone wanted to host the next one, and we almost always had a meeting every month at someone's house. They were really very informal and involved admiring the host's tank(s), and socializing with the other members. Frags were always traded, and if there was interest, we did a raffle of some sort with schwag we got from sponsors.
    I personally don't think social clubs really need a BOD and can function quite well without them as long as everyone just relaxes and enjoys the hobby and their fellow members.

Website Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Well, I know I'm new here, and technically not even a member yet, but just to throw my 2 cents in:
    The club I was in in Florida was a pretty easy going one, and we all basically voiced that we did not want a BOD or even officers for that matter. We had one guy that was a treasurer, one guy that was the webmaster, and a couple of forum moderators (myself being one). That said, it was probably the best club I have ever been in. We posted right after a meeting to see if anyone wanted to host the next one, and we almost always had a meeting every month at someone's house. They were really very informal and involved admiring the host's tank(s), and socializing with the other members. Frags were always traded, and if there was interest, we did a raffle of some sort with schwag we got from sponsors.
    I personally don't think social clubs really need a BOD and can function quite well without them as long as everyone just relaxes and enjoys the hobby and their fellow members.
    Well put! I don't understand where this "can't go without a BOD" mentality comes from.
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly! People can exist without someone with a title telling the man how it is gonna be!
    Jason Davis
    'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'
    - Ronald Reagan

Pimped out 40g breeder mixed reef, 20g sump, with ASM Mini G

dv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomojoe View Post
    Well put! I don't understand where this "can't go without a BOD" mentality comes from.
    well ...
    who will recruit new sponsors?
    who will answer to current sponsors?
    where will money come from without sponsors or paid memberships?
    who will solicit raffle items?
    who represents the club?
    who will move the club into the future?
    who regulates meetings? maybe 2 people want to have meetings on the same day? maybe someone wants to smoke weed at their meeting? what does the club support in theses cases?
    ....basically who will take the responsibilities nessecary to keep the club alive?
    Quote Originally Posted by torquehound View Post
    Exactly! People can exist without someone with a title telling the man how it is gonna be!
    every organization needs a leader/organizer even if the people are in control ...know of any examples where this isnt true?

Website Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dv3 View Post
    well ...
    who will recruit new sponsors? Don't currently need sponsors
    who will answer to current sponsors?No reason current sponsors can't continue to posts in their forums, all ads should be removed though
    where will money come from without sponsors or paid memberships?The website is paid out through 2015 and their is enough money in reserve that is going to be secured in an account that we could probably pay for the site through 2020
    who will solicit raffle items?There recently was a meeting at Marty's house and from what I hear it was one of the most charitable events we have had in a long time
    who represents the club?The members
    who will move the club into the future?Who ever stands up and says it is the right time, this happened before I'm sure it can happen again only this time the club has a head start with the site and money
    who regulates meetings?Who regulates a BBQ at your house? maybe 2 people want to have meetings on the same day?No Problem, attend both or neither or work with you fellow reefer to deconflict maybe someone wants to smoke weed at their meeting?Didn't know drug enforcement was a BOD task what does the club support in theses cases?Again, if you invite friends to your house do you have someone take on these tasks for you?
    ....basically who will take the responsibilities nessecary to keep the club alive?Paul Murphy (Murfman) and Eric(Calvin415) have agreed to take on the moderation/discipline tasks...if anyone feels that someone is out of line they will decide what to do. A few other people are available to do non-negative moderation like moving threads, etc...Then I am available to do site admin(backend stuff) and non-negative admin.
    Think I covered it all. Again, the prior board and those in the secret secret president's club meeting didn't just say F the club lets throw in the towel. Also those that agreed in the Secret club member forum didn't say yeah lets screw the club. The fact that the club can afford to take a break without throwing in the towel and without chaos is why there is a lot of support for this. Plus, Marty's meeting sounded like one of the best we have had in a while and most involved with that knew of the dissolution of the BOD.
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be a pretty awesome president. just saying. I have the name for it... Harrison F. James
    125 Show In Wall

The money that used to get poured into my tank, now gets poured into my car.

smokey has a really good example. Sounds like it works great! maybe the north club should consider it I mean with the issues you've guys have had in the past you just never know when it could flare up again.
    My .02 lol

Post Thanks / Like
    And that is what I meant by we can handle it on our own here in soco. Without another dime we can cover costs for a decade. That should allow the ants of hastiness to be let out of people's pants. There is no rush to do something right away. Sometimes there is wisdom in knowing when to not move in haste and to just be at peace.
    Jason Davis
    'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'
    - Ronald Reagan

Pimped out 40g breeder mixed reef, 20g sump, with ASM Mini G

dv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomojoe View Post
    Think I covered it all.
    i assumed you would have answer ...i just thought it was something for the members to consider

Website Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dv3 View Post
    i assumed you would have answer ...i just thought it was something for the members to consider
    Good Assumption! I care and know the answer to a few of the questions that you asked that the general membership doesn't, like how far out the site is covered.
    -David!