Thread: Help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Help!!!

I happened to look at the little 12gal nano that has nothing but a little LR, 3 hermit crabs and 1 lawnmower blenny in it and I have a TON of fry of some sort swimming around! I tried to take pics but I dont hava a good enough camera... I have no clue what they could be! here are the crappy pics that I can get.

they all pretty much seem to be darting around.

Post Thanks / Like
    also I bought this tank about 2 weeks ago used and it had everything that I listed in it at the time of purchase

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome man! Congratulations. As far as id, I'm guessing they are blennies...
    -Jay

"It's necessary to be slightly underemployed if you are to do something significant." - James D. Watson

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet, congrats

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Happy Reefing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would bet theJRC would have a fry net to help you get some segregated......

Post Thanks / Like
    well whatever they are, mortality rate was pretty high overnight.... I figured it would be due to this being completely unexpected and not being set up for fry. (nothing for them to eat and such) I am figuring that the rest will probably meet thier destiny today while I am at work. there are actually still what appears to be about a hundred or so darting around... which from a rough guess is about 10 percent of what was in there lastnight... from looking at them, some appear to be more clear and others look more red. they seem to be darting backwards instead of forward. I toold the lawnmower out and put it in my 29 lastnight so he/she would leave them alone. thats where I am at as of now. Really wish I would have been ready for this.. would have loved to try to get some to grow and see exactly what they are...

Blue Diamond Aquatics honoreetamore's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    I had peppermint shrimp do that to my tank... they babies swam tail up like that and everything! IDK what crab larvae look like to much, but that would be my guess. Talked to JRC about the larval stages, I was told they were more likely to be fish and coral food :/ I guess there is certain foods everystage needs. If those foods are not availible, they will die. Tho with saying that, Joseph HAS had peppermint shrimp babies actually grown to juvies in his tank! He said they always seem to get to abotu 1" and then disappear (of which I have the sneaky suspiction his yellow diamond goby was thinking they were the perfect snack at the size).

I actually have a video and pics around here somewhere if you look in the breeding forum that I got some good pics and video with my camera of the peppermint shrimp babies.

I can tell you one thing - if they are lawnmower babies... Joe will definantly be interested!!!! He has been trying to breed lawnmowers for a while now. Tho i truely do not know how that would work - it really depends on how long the people before you had the blenny to see if there is any change it could have been pregnant at all since he/she is alone in your tank now and you don't know sex of the blenny. (tho if you take a pic, joe could tell you by the fins most likely lol)

U sure you don't got a stow away in there somewhere? lol

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Blue Diamond Aquatics honoreetamore's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh! and throw some phyto or oyster feast etc (really itty bitty foods) in there... they prob don't have much to eat!

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    all I have until I get home from work this afternoon is some prime flake that I have ground up to a dust and thrown a little bit in there... I have no clue what else to do for them until I can get some food. I will probably stop by and pick some up on my way home... we'll see how it goes.. I will update then

Post Thanks / Like
    well the majority of the ones that were left this monring are still there... starting to turn a reddish color. dont know if that is because they are munching on the ground up flake that is red or what.... I have turned off the pump/fitler... should I run an airline into there? not counting on any of these mysterious critters to make it but....

Post Thanks / Like
    fingers crossed for ya man!

Post Thanks / Like
    *Update* well the ones that have made it this far appear to look like little shrimp... the funny thing is I have no shrimp in there... that I know of anyways.... there may have been some before I got the tank but that was 2 weeks ago so who knows....

Post Thanks / Like
    well day 2 and still just feeding ground up prime flake... still have about a hundred or so swimming... going to do a 10% today

Post Thanks / Like
    well day 3 has began and still have alot swimming.. dont seem to be getting any bigger yet but they seem to be feeding on the algea growth that I have on the glass now. want to clean it off but if they are surviving off of it I guess I will leave it. here are a couple pics from this morning