View Poll Results: Did you attend the Conference & Swap in Highlands Ranch?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I attended for the speakers, workshops, frag swap & raffle.

2 18.18%
  • I attended for the workshops, frag swap & raffle.

0 0%
  • I attended for the speakers, frag swap & raffle.

3 27.27%
  • I attended for the frag swap & raffle.

3 27.27%
  • I attended just for the frag swap.

2 18.18%
  • I didn't attend.

1 9.09%

Thread: Feedback Wanted - Did you attend the Conference & Frag Swap in Highlands Ranch?

Post Thanks / Like

Feedback Wanted - Did you attend the Conference & Frag Swap in Highlands Ranch?

Greetings,

Thanks to everyone that attended the event on Saturday, particularly those that donated to the raffles. Your efforts helped fund the event and raise money for the High School. A big thanks to our vendors who also donated frags to the raffle and money to help fund the speakers.

Most raffle items came from our vendors, manufacturers or LFS. Please let them know how much you appreciated their donation.

Looking for feedback about the event. What did you like? What programs did you enjoy? What could have been improved upon? What just flat out didn't work for you? Apologies to those that didn't get their tickets pulled.

If you didn't attend, please let us know why!

If you are a MASC or DARC member, please answer these question in your club forums (reefcentral for DARC, marinecolorado.org for MASC).

Thanks!

-Rob
    DARC Board Member

If at first you don't succeed.... you didn't quarantine long enough!

Blue Diamond Aquatics honoreetamore's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the I attended bc I was a vendor! button? lol I had a blast meeting people and seeing their faces when they saw what critters I had for sale LOL

I wish we had a lil bigger turnout tho... Maybe better advertising next year? I even told the petco down here by me about it so they could hopefully tell their customers... of which I know one manager at the north petco did! She was excited to hear about the event and was sad she had to work herself. lol I looked on Craigslist event section and saw nothing abotu it... maybe next year we can use places like that to advertise more (bc its FREE!).

Also, from a vendor or presentors standpoint... 8 hrs was a loonng day! (even from someone whom arrived late lol) I feel for the guys that set up that morning at 8 and stayed all the way threw LOL

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by honoreetamore View Post
    Where's the I attended bc I was a vendor! button? lol I had a blast meeting people and seeing their faces when they saw what critters I had for sale LOL

I wish we had a lil bigger turnout tho... Maybe better advertising next year? I even told the petco down here by me about it so they could hopefully tell their customers... of which I know one manager at the north petco did! She was excited to hear about the event and was sad she had to work herself. lol I looked on Craigslist event section and saw nothing abotu it... maybe next year we can use places like that to advertise more (bc its FREE!).

Also, from a vendor or presentors standpoint... 8 hrs was a loonng day! (even from someone whom arrived late lol) I feel for the guys that set up that morning at 8 and stayed all the way threw LOL
    I know I'm not supposed to answer here since I'm a MASC member lol but I just wanted answer your questions Honoree. I'm not exactly sure which city it was advertised in, Denver I'm guessing, but it was put up on Craigslist. We did hand fliers out to pretty much every store in Denver and Fort collins, we got an article on Reefbuilders, and we were on various calanders (MASNA, Reefaddicts). I asked the Petco's down here but was either told I'd have to go through corporate or that the only thing I could do was hang 1 flier on their cork board. There should have been fliers pretty much everywhere though lol.

For the record though I was happy with the turnout from the SCMAS guys. We had plenty of the Springers and it was sweet!! Personally I didn't get home until midnight, it was awesome!
    Its' better to be respected than feared

I am the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be

The excellence of execution

Post Thanks / Like
    You can post here Juan! Just want to record poll results by club if possible.

We were on several websites, as Juan indicated above and did have posts on Craigslist. We were also on the HRHS homepage, e-mail announcements went to all Douglas County parents. We were on Facebook, reefcentral, MASC and SCMAS websites, several vendors posted the event on their websites as well. We were on Refbuilders, WetWebMedia, Nanotuners and a few others. We distributed fliers to all the stores in Denver, Boulder and Ft. Collins. Fliers were given to the SCMAS board, but I don't know which stores they went to.

I think your idea of using free advertising is a great one. Let us know where else you think we could have hit.

As a vendor, I'd think you'd be under the last option... you just came to sell rather than buy.

It was a very long day for many of us, especially so for those of us that started setup the day before. Attempting to get all the events in without overlap is difficult.

Please keep the thoughts coming... I know more than one SCMAS member made the drive up.... I saw you there!!
    DARC Board Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the marketing was done very well but the problems lied in timing. Kudos to Rob and Juan for putting this all together so quickly!! This was not exactly planned a year in advance though as most things are.

Recommendations for next year from me:

Have the conf in early may instead of late april -- this pushes it a bit further from reefstock which lets people rebuild time and funds to buy stuffs... it also pushes it past tax season which tends to kill people time and mental wise!! as an added bonus it schedules around all the fun easter activities a lot of people do. Win for everyone!!! April showers bring may flowers!

Have two speakers, two talks, and two workshops -- the schedule was tight and fitting everything in stressed everyone out! If you were to cut one of the talks you could gain an hour of "flex time" to play with!!

other than that.... everything was awesome!!
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a hard time balancing the maximum number of vendors with the availability of the facility. We learned last year not to schedule on Easter weekend (who knew?), and that was the end of this month. May 7th is Mother's Day weekend, another bad choice. May 14th conflicted with travel schedules.... May 21st was Graduation week and May 28th was Memorial Day weekend... the kids are gone and school is closed. Hmph...... but I agree.... I would have preferred later in the month of April or May 14th.. just wasn't in the cards this year.

Interesting point about scheduling. Bringing Scott in from NY, we attempted to get the best bang for our buck by having him involved all day with the club. Hence two talks by him. We also scheduled all of the events so that they didn't overlap, but there wasn't a lot of wiggle room. 30 minutes here, 45 there.... it's hard to balance the schedule... maybe we should have co-scheduled speakers and events. Besides Joe... your talk was supposed to be way cool! How could we deprive the folks of your expertise?

It's helpful when folks answer the poll... it helps us understand why they came and what they were looking for. If we do another one, we can use that as lessons learned.
    DARC Board Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a great time there. Rob and Juan did a great job in my opinion. Great to meet everyone and do something out of the norm.