Thread: May Madness Club Meet

Post Thanks / Like

May Madness Club Meet

HEY ALL!

WE ARE GOING TO HAVE OUR NEXT MEET. IT WILL BE A LOT OF FUN AND COMPLETELY FREE!

DATE: Saturday May 14th
    WHERE: DOWNTOWN FRUITA at Mirth, 201 East Aspen, Fruita, CO 81521
    TIME: 2PM - 7PM
    COST: COMPLETELY FREE
    TYPE: POTLUCK + CORAL TRADING + PRESENTATIONS + RAFFLE

RAFFLE TICKETS WILL BE $2.00 EACH AND A LIST OF PRIZES BEYOND CORAL WILL BE FORTH COMING. PLEASE CALL ME WITH ANY QUESTIONS BETWEEN NOW AN THE EVENT OR EVEN THE DAY OF THE EVENT IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE PLACE! 951-265-0073 PLEASE PM ME TOO IF YOU WANT TO SIGN UP TO HELP.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS: Everyone can setup meet each other and have some snacks between 2 and 3. Presentations will be between 3 and 4:30 with an intermission. Then we will have coral trading and discussions between 4:30 and 5:15. Dinner will run from 5:15-6:15 and desert will be served for the keynote (main) speaker presentation from 6:15-7:00.

I have decided to give a talk on my open source controller and monitor. I will have quite a bit to show by then. Also, after I chat with reefman we will probably unveil our plans for our culture system. I think I may even also do a small presentation on what it takes to build your own LED fixture. I want anyone else that wants to give a talk to please contact me so we can create a venue list. This is going to be different than the last meet. It is NOT about making money at all. Instead the goal is to share our projects and ideas. I also want to create interest in reef tanks outside the club. I know I will be able to get at least 15-20 people outside our club to come. Heck, we may even attract a few people into the hobby. Thoughts and suggestions would be great. Also, DON'T MISS THIS ONE, IT WILL BE A TON OF FUN AND A VERY COOL MEET. Please save the date and/or clear your schedule. There will be a baby sitter and a kids area on site for those that want reprieve. This is family and knowledge oriented. Kids are completely welcome. I want to even have an area where kids can "pet" snails and crabs.

I want to setup 3 frag tanks. The one from Marine Tech that will have everyone's corals and Marine Tech's coral. One from Western Slope and I am sure partsguy will set up his own. The only thing I ask is that if ANYONE plans on SELLING coral that you donate a nice piece to the club so we can use it in the raffle. If anyone has ideas for door prizes, please let me know. Also, as always any donations to the club for the cause of raffle would be awesome.

REMEMBER THIS WILL BE A POT LUCK AND THERE WILL BE QUITE FEW PEOPLE THERE WHO DO NOT OWN REEF TANKS! So, please bring a dish if you come. Nothing fancy is expected just something for everyone to grab a bite of. If you bring too much, you can always take some back home

This will be a great opportunity to turn some people on to the hobby. Also, I am hoping that David will give a talk on his planted tank which is something I am sure a lot of people are interested in. There will be a raffle and I hope to get actual prizes this time instead of just coral frags. Admission will be ENTIRELY FREE!!! -- The only cost will be if you want to purchase raffle tickets. I hope that you invite friends and family.

The venue will be in Fruita and there will be plenty of room, fun and food. THE GOAL IS TO TRADE CORAL, LEARN ABOUT NEW THINGS AND PROJECTS, CREATE AWARENESS AND JUST PLAIN HAVE FUN. Drinking is allowed, but please be responsible and byob. I am going to bring some awesome home made tamales.

Let me know what you all think. I have not decided who the keynote speaker will be just yet. If someone has a suggestion let me know. It would be nice if they would speak for 30-45 minutes.

If you plan to come, please visit our thread and let us know on the poll. If not, hope to see you at some time or another at one of our meets or one of yours.

http://wsaconline.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=490

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:
    I found a speaker for our meet. It will either be an associate professor of biology that specializes in coral reefs or another professor of biology that has done research on coral reefs.

When I know which speaker will be doing the talk and a little info about what they plan to talk about I will give you all an update.

Brandon

Post Thanks / Like
    Confirmation of speaker:

Speaker: Katie Munkres

Background: Katie has recently completed three years of research of graduate work on the Great Barrier Reef at James Cook University and is very knowledgeable about reefs in nature.

Topics of the talk: "My plan is to talk a little about reef ecology then focus on threats to reefs. I will talk briefly about how the aquarium trade fits into reef threats and then focus on the big picture threats of climate change and ocean acidification."

This should be a very interesting talk and Katie is very passionate about coral reefs. I am sure she is willing to answer questions and her talk will be about 45 minutes after dinner and during desert.

Brandon