Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BRS Mag

If I Die, Don't You Cry ReefJerk's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Cliffie, keep in mind with that tester, they read 20ppm lower than the Salifert test kit.
    I thought they got that fixed with the new reagents. At least that what they've been saying.
    And, since 20ppm is about .5 ml/eq, I guess that's cool. Does your Salifert only read whole numbers? On the reviews, that's all I saw from the Salifert kits were whole numbers.

http://hannainst.com/usa/news.cfm?Id=38

...The solution involves replacing the HI755-25 powder reagents with HI755-26 liquid reagents. The performance of the liquid reagents was benchmarked against the results of an automatic titrator in seawater aquarium samples. These repeated tests showed consistency in performance within our original accuracy specifications of (+/-5% of reading, +/- 5 PPM...
    "Time just keeps on slippin'...'"

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is directly from Pete at Hanna Tech Services. I also read, in the big thread on the Hanna test meters in RC, that Salifert reads high, when compared to lab based test kits.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Group buy closed

if you haven't sent your Paypal please do so at this time

I'll place the order tomorrow around 8am and PM everyone the tracking info.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the thing with test kits, you get a Salifert that is supposed to be top of the line and it reads high on certain tests. Totally crazy. I guess you just do the best with what you've got and try to keep everything stable as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again for putting this together!!!!
    "Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish."
    Ovid - Died around AD 17-18

No problem Colin! Thanks for shooting the **** with me and let me know if you need an extra hand when you swap out your 20

Sent via iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for handling this Adam. I checked PayPal and the reversal shows up on the account but I never got an email from them. The reason it states is that my credit card expiration date is ABOUT to expire. What kind of crazy crap is that?! Anyway...

This Hanna Alk meter is sweet. You can have results in less than a minute of starting the test. It shows my alk within range of where my "drip" kit is with obviously greater accuracy. I can't wait until they make one for calcium. For $50 this is a must have for me.

You got it cliff. No prob with the paypal but that is bs they didn't notify you

Sent via iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Adam for putting this together for us!!! Much appreciated!!!
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric
    It's just advice; you can do what ever you want to do!

Click Here, Here, or Here, To See My Previous Tanks

Click Here, or Here, for help with your acrylic project.

You got it E!

Thanks for helping answer peoples Q's

blake
    I have been looking at where to get magnesium chloride by Dead Sea Works or anything else to make Randy's mix. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is this stuff proven reef safe? Any idea where I can find it. I notice this add is super old but hoping someone can read it.

Just_Tim
    Isn't it Epsom salt and mag chlor from Big R?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using Safestep 8300 for over a year with no problems. I got the 50 lb bag from Costco for $13.99 and the unscented Epsom salts from Dr. Teals there too. I think it's two 6 pound bags of epsom salt for pretty cheap. I've been doing the Randy's mix recipe with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Costco has it right now, its only in season. Also walmart in falcon carries the Prestone driveway heat 50lb bags for $15 to do calcium, Dr Teals at walmart or Costco unscented is cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I've been using Safestep 8300 for over a year with no problems. I got the 50 lb bag from Costco for $13.99 and the unscented Epsom salts from Dr. Teals there too. I think it's two 6 pound bags of epsom salt for pretty cheap. I've been doing the Randy's mix recipe with it.
    did your mix have a slight tan color or did it mix clear? Mine had a slight tan color when I mixed the 8300 with some brown sediment at the bottom.

Which randy recipe did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

BRS Mag

It has been tan like you described. I think it's 5 cups mag cl to 3 cups epsom salt per gallon. I was concerned about the color at first, but I have gone through over 10 gallons of it this way. No problems yet.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks