Thread: Planted 55

Post Thanks / Like

Planted 55

The following pictures and description detail a planted tank that I set up about 8 years ago. And rebuilt it in sept of 2k7. it had turned into a big root ball over time so just wanted to start over!

Tank Specifications
    Standard 55 gal aga
    Stand is a desk in my home office
    2x48” t5 lights 6500k “normal light”
    magnum 350 canister filter
    Heater,
    UV sterilizer ,
    CO2 diffuser
    Diy co2 pumped in at way to high of levels but I run power heads to drive most of it off and help global warming
    Florite substrate

Wide view

Left

right

And some fish "they like to hide" unless its time to eat
    [IMG]http://burkl.home.comcast.net/pea****eal3heads.JPG[/IMG]

5 pea**** and 1 tire track eels

Hope you all enjoy this and let me know what you think!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, the pics look good on a 1.5 by 1.75 inch screen! I need to have a look from a computer!

Where do you get your diy co2 recipe from? I've done diy before and it was a pain that I switched to pressurized. But... That damn tank is low again. The knob got cranked up somehow during the move. Got to have it refilled again!

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks jinxy.
    i just use a plastic bottle with 1 cup sugar and 1 tblsp bread yeast. it lasts about 1.5 to 2 weeks. it does put out way to much most the time, so i also use a power head running close to surface to drive most of it off. its not a very exact method and you do need to add nitrates and potassium on a regular basis or you will have one or more of the 2000 plus types of algae all over your tank. oops thats old school. now, i read there is more then 7000 species of algae
    anyway thanks for your kind words and your welcome to a hand full of most plants i have. "not the lutea shown center right " but i will give you a shoot

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool looking, if i didn't have a reef i'd be all over a f/w planted tank I love seeing them.
    C

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks C! it is nice on winter days to look at!
    I was thinking you need another 600 gal room divider!

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to go with a f/w tank with the 600. I bet those plants would like the 1,000 watt bulbs eh?
    We'll see how the reef tank does, it may be fun to go with a planted tank here eventually, seem's like the landscape possibilities on a 4'x8' tank would be great!
    C

www.reefkoicorals.com

Post Thanks / Like
    no way!
    your reef tank is way to nice!
    imho you set the bar for me when it comes to marine/reef tanks!
    80 or so fish is a huge bio load and that tank looks great and very healthy! i will be vary happy if i can get half as good of results! just getting all the equipment for a couple of small systems is driving to the poor farm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I guess, I have had a reef for so long now I guess I can't quit at this point
    C

www.reefkoicorals.com

Post Thanks / Like
    chris, you could do a nano plated tank-im thinking about it. maybe a 55 with tetras

Questin
    The most celebrated large freshwater planted tank in the world atm is 9000 liters and uses 150 watt bulbs and natural sunlight.

takashi amanos personal tank

So the 1000 watt bulbs, would not need to be a must.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long have you had your 5 pea**** and 1 tire track eels in that tank? And how big are they now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JinxXx0085 View Post
    How long have you had your 5 pea**** and 1 tire track eels in that tank? And how big are they now?
    4 or 5 years for most of them, 3" to about 8" size. and at times a couple would vanish and not come out for more then a year. figured they were dead but one day they would just pop up and want to eat! When i rebuilt tank back in sept. i only netted one of them. all the others were moved in the plants. then had to do head count after the tank settled down.

Post Thanks / Like
    couple other tanks I have had in past. and current one.

One of my 55 gal all glass 2008
    [IMG][/IMG]

Side view
    [IMG][/IMG]

Fun time laps of same

[IMG][/IMG]

The exact same tank now. just let it grow for years. changed it to less light and less maintenance. no fish and I clean glass about 1 time per month and trim as desired. only add water and very little nutrients, NO filter only a custom co2 diffuser with low flow and low power use led lights all to save on electric bill.

[IMG][/IMG]

custom acrylic c02 diffuser on back.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

all fun

Post Thanks / Like
    And another tank that is now empty and stored in basement.

few months after setup

[IMG][/IMG]

Sideview

[IMG][/IMG]

months later after trimming as I wanted

[IMG][/IMG]

Side view
    [IMG][/IMG]

Good old days when electricity was cheap

Hope you enjoy some examples of planted tanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are nice. I always enjoy a good looking freshwater planted tank. They just look so natural.
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Those are nice. I always enjoy a good looking freshwater planted tank. They just look so natural.
    Thanks. I have always enjoyed the miniature landscapes. Very photogenic and a good place to practice photo skills /art. I use to live on western slope and 6 months of winter, when its black and white outside they were a very nice distraction. Back in the old days with no digital cameras so not many pictures to remember them by. Also plant and light tech was limited so the best looking tanks had under-gravel filters and a carpet of micro sword plants growing under 4ft t7 grow bulbs. Not a very high performance system like you put together these days.
    Last edited by mountaindew; 04-09-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this 55 gal aquarium down to costing about 7$ a month in power. Might set up another and grow some more different plants. Power here in Pueblo is so outrageous. And talking about outrageous looking at the cost of a single plant at pets mart. I have about 1000$ in plants in a silly 4ft 55 gal aquarium.

[IMG][/IMG]

18. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I get a lot of people asking my why I dont put fish in my planted aquariums . Mostly because it takes more care. The tank above gets water added to it weekly that is about it. Sometimes I can go months without cleaning glass. How many aquariums can you say that about? Fish food is the worst pollutant in a planted tank "not the fish" making growing plants under water a couple of factors harder to maintain without a mess as mentioned above. Also C02 injection at the level I like to run, looking like soda pop sometimes, wont kill fish and some even like it, overall it does stress most fish like neons in those pictures above. Some Fish like tiger barbs will breed night and day a couple in a 55 like this will turn into a 50 in a matter of a month if they dont eat each other. Fun to watch but adds more time to maintain.

I hope this inspires others to try simple planted tanks and have fun and enjoy the hobby, the one shown above has been in setup for almost nine years.!