Thread: Weird Creep thing in tank... ID???

Blue Diamond Aquatics honoreetamore's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

Question Weird Creep thing in tank... ID???

Ok, so i caught this in one of my tanks today.... i have no d*mn clue WTF it is! It was crawling around on my magician palys... at first i thought it was a skinny bristle worm... then i watch teh way it moved... It moves liek a centipede... looks liek one too! And when it gets knocked off the palys it curked up into a tight lil ball. And in the specimen cup (its new home) it was swimming like an eel when it wasnt busy crawling around like a centipede and creeping me out! ( I HATE CENTIPEDES!)

Anyway, here is a close up and a short vid of the lil thingy 9click on cup img to see vid)... Anyone have any idea what this creepy lil thing is???

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a eucnid worm to me, based on the mandible; http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...05a7bb65e82229
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess is that it's a fireworm... from what I've heard/read, they are not good to have around. They are related to bristles but aren't supposed to be very good for your tank. I've read a few times that they eat corals (I really doubt this as most worms are primarily scavengers) and attack fish. I saw a video on youtube of a fireworm swallowing what appeard to be a silverside. http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...813#post103813
    It definitely looks a little different though. I am far from an expert but, hopefully someone will know more than me. Creepy little bastard...
    Jeremy & Katy ~ JayBe & KayBe
    It's not an addiction... it's a cure to extra money plaguing our bank accounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Looks like a eucnid worm to me, based on the mandible; http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...05a7bb65e82229
    Or it's that lol. I should have waited an extra minute or two before I posted.
    I knew someone would know what it was.
    Jeremy & Katy ~ JayBe & KayBe
    It's not an addiction... it's a cure to extra money plaguing our bank accounts.

Website Administrator

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard if it tastes like almonds you know its a eunicid for sure! Lol!
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomojoe View Post
    I heard if it tastes like almonds you know its a eunicid for sure! Lol!
    David - U r more than welcome to come over and try to taste it.. its extremely small tho... good thing too bc if those things are mandables and not antenni like i thought... that might hurt!

Whatever he freakin is... its creepy!! The vids of the big ones were absolutly gross!!!!! Makes me almost wanna keep him to see what he looks liek when he gets bigger... hes just so small right now its hard to see features! but just as gross small or big!

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by honoreetamore View Post
    David - U r more than welcome to come over and try to taste it.. its extremely small tho... good thing too bc if those things are mandables and not antenni like i thought... that might hurt!
    IDK if they are. Joe is more than an expert than I.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    definately NOT a fireworm... (the fireworm freakout frustrates me... say that five times fast) it lacks a ton of features for that. though it is a species of eucnid most likely. Another type of bristleworm (there are several hundred species). Most likely harmless and beneficial, I would have to see it under my konus and run it through the keys to give you a real ID though.

Release it, watch it, enjoy it! Congratulations on bio-diversity!
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJRC View Post
    the fireworm freakout frustrates me...
    LOL Sorry Joe... but any type of millipede, centipede, whatever cousins and family ammebrs they have - oh and dont even get me around any big silverfish! ... pretty much anything over 8 legs except caterpillers and shrimps.... give me the heebie-jeebies!! Just call it a small phoebia or something... lol

Im getting better tho... I am kinda curious what this lil thing is... as gross as it is it has me curious. lol Any ideas for setting up a lil tank or somethign just for him to see if he grows into something recognizable???

~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    toss him in a peice of tupperware with a heater, some small rock rubble and see if you can get him to take flake or pellet!

When I get some free time I can swing the scope by and we can see what he is, let go of those heebe jeebe's and let the mystery of the critters take hold!! I mean really it's just a worm, it's not like this is wandering around in your tank ......

~J

Post Thanks / Like
    Omg dude!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    LMAO OMG JOE!! May i just say... you DONT make a good lookin chick...

but on the bug note: that woudl be cool.. i will try to keep him alive so you can come over and check him out.. i would be interested to see as well.... hmmm, surprised we dont have a microscope around here actually... lol

~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJRC View Post
    toss him in a peice of tupperware with a heater, some small rock rubble and see if you can get him to take flake or pellet!

When I get some free time I can swing the scope by and we can see what he is, let go of those heebe jeebe's and let the mystery of the critters take hold!! I mean really it's just a worm, it's not like this is wandering around in your tank ......

Joe are those c or d cups lol Trish it looks like the worm from the movie the faculity

Some say being a big REEFER is illegal... I think it's all in what type of plants you grow. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    A cups... as in Apple
    ~J

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw where this post went and wow. That is creepy.
    Jason Davis
    'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'
    - Ronald Reagan

Pimped out 40g breeder mixed reef, 20g sump, with ASM Mini G