Thread: Breeding Journal Amphiprion ocellaris (clownfish) **not for points**

Post Thanks / Like

Breeding Journal Amphiprion ocellaris (clownfish) **not for points**

copy of my original breeding journal at MASM, I'm adding new information here for the breeding journal to illustrate what the MBI is all about and hopefully inspire others.

Original journal (please visit) is here http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?m=31905

Breeding Journal DataSheet
    This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
    Species: A. Ocellaris
    Social Structure:
    Size of Individuals: 3.5 inch female 3 inch male
    Age of Individuals: Approximately 3 years
    Date added to Tank: Approx. may 2007

Broodstock Tank Details
    Size of Tank: 10 gallon section (system approximately 200 Gallons)
    Substrate Details: 2 inch aragonite sandbed
    Filtration Details: Berlin sumps and refugium, miscelaneous macro algaes, EV180 skimmer, supplemental UV
    Water Changes: 30 gallons weekly (on full system)
    Water Temperature: 78* low point 84* high point (light cycle)
    Lighting: 250W Metal Halide over section 14k Ushio
    Lighting Cycle: 10 light/14 dark
    Other Tank Inhabitants: Single Mythraculus Sculptus, Several Nassarius Pauperi

Broodstock Feeding Details
    Food Types: Prime Reef Flake, Formula One Marine Pellet
    Feeding Schedule: Two to four times per day

Spawning Details
    Date of First Spawn: July 2008
    Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Every 14 days

Larval Tank Details
    Temperature: 80*
    Size of Larval Tank: 10 gallon (3 gallon fill)
    Substrate Details: Bare Bottom
    Other Tank Decor: none
    Filtration Details: none
    Lighting: 14 Watt CF
    Lighting Cycle: 14/10
    Water Changes: 1 gallon daily on average water changes are performed slowly with airline for removal and periostatic pump for fill

Larval Feeding Details
    Food Types: Acartia Tonsa, Tigriopus Japonicus, Brachionus Rotindiformus (S strain Rotifers) -At Pre Meta -- Larger A. Tonsa, T. Japonicus, T. Californicus, Artemia, Otohime during meta and at post meta
    Feeding Schedule: twice daily with Otohime, continuous drip with all others

Metamorphosis/Settlement
    Date of Metamorphosis: 01/05/2010
    Date of Settlement:

Grow-Out Tank Details
    Temperature: 80*
    Size of Grow-Out Tank: 10 gallon
    Substrate Details: aragonite sand
    Other Tank Decor: few peices of live rock
    Filtration Details: same as broodstock system
    Lighting: Metal halide (250W)
    Lighting Cycle:10light/14dark
    Water Changes: 30 gallons weekly (same as main system)
    Size at Transfer:
    Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
    Food Types: Otohime, Prime reef flake
    Feeding Schedule: Twice to three times daily

Additional Information
    Miscellaneous Information:
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    okay as mentioned above, merely updating a thread here (I have already been awarded points so this work is not viable for more MBI points) to help get the ball rolling.

To add to this journal, as I will at MASM later....

This same pair stopped laying viable clutches several months ago after an environmental (tank) change. I have finally re-conditioned the pair to spawn a successful clutch this week by changing out rock, and food source. Blended PE Mysis has been added for the higher protein content.

This weeks clutch was a two night hatch with the smaller hatch happening last night at approximately 10:30 PM, tonights hatch was noticed around 8:30 with suspicion that it began much earlier. In both instances a snagger was run to capture larvae. Approximately 5 larvae were captured on the first hatch event and approximately 68 on the second. valving for the tank was shut off as soon as hatch was noticed.

First off... the larval tank

[IMG]http://www.copepodgeek.com/newpics/forumillustrations/MBI/cdetail/clb4.jpg
    [/IMG]

The snagger in action (bear with the bad pic, it was taken in pitch black for the snaggers effectiveness

a bad shot of the larvae at 1HPH (hour post hatch) but a good reference shot. The smaller dots are rotifers and the larger dots washed out in the background are air bubbles. Gives you a good idea of size

another shot of two larvae at 1HPH better shot here to illustrate what they look like. Note the bubble tower next to them for size ref.

All images were taken with a Canon EOS rebel, a 18-55mm lens, and a 26mm extension tube using stock flash. Larval tank is being fed a rotifer / copepod culture containing apocyclops, acartia tonsa, and Brachionus rotindiformus. Fed with a mixture of live microalgaes containing Nannochloropsis, Tetraselmis, Gymnodinuim, and Thallasiosira. Culture density ranges between 20-60 rotifers per ml unknown copepod count. Fed utilizing an enteral feeding pump set at 50ml per hour. Approximately 1 liter of water changed daily. Salinity @ 1.026 @ 78.6*F
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    A better size comparison shot from tonights snag, this at about 2 HPH

You can see the end of my refractometer on the left, and a power cord (roughly 3/8" on the right) and of course the larvae in the middle....

~J

Post Thanks / Like
    2DPH shot from today

~J

Post Thanks / Like
    Well guys heres how it goes in the ornamental breeding world... trial and error... I was able to carry a grand total of 2 larva through to this morning (about 11 this evening would mark 5 days post hatch) buuuuut low and behold they did not make it. This run was slightly different from any others I have done in the past by way of two variables....

1. I utilized an airlift sponge filter from day one
    2. I was *sadly* not very religious about my water changes due to work and of course my surgery

After I lose a batch I typically go through my "What went wrong" post mortum, this one was a pretty simple answer boiling down to water quality due to lack of changes. But for everyone to know here is my post mortum method:

Check SG: 1.027 (deviation of 1 point from my standard, from addition of rotifer cultures on the drip, this is normal with most of my runs and is corrected during daily water changes)
    Check Temp: 78*F (good)
    Check for any environmental stupidity: (none this time)
    Scope a 1ml sample of larval tank water to ensure food supply: (yup, lots of rots!)
    Check Ammonia: (4.0 when I stopped waiting for test kit.... hrmm duh)
    Check Nitrites: (no point in this given ammo reading)
    Check Nitrates: (no point again!!)
    Check PH: (yup no real reason here!)
    Check SG of WC water: (all good!)
    Check Ammo, Nitrites, Nitrates, PH, and Phos in WC water: (all good!)
    Mental run down of sequence of events: (The eggs did not look as orange and "normal" this time around, oh wait I didnt change water like I should have.... duh)

On a good note though, the clowns will be laying another clutch in about 2 days! And with the recent return of viable clutches I should have better luck next time! I also know that I have approximately 9 days to clean the larval tank and reset everything to a stable state there. My rotifer cultures have been ramped back up and the excess until next hatch will be happily eaten by my display tank inhabitants.

My goal for next time will be to rear at least a few specimens through metamorphasis so that I can get you guys pictures of the life changes. Wish me luck!
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    good info. I am planning on trying to breed some black and white/mis bar clowns. My female, after being in this tank for about a year now, has finally started showing mating interest with my male. For the last 9 months, he has been doing the mating dance and she has been ignoring him. Last night, I saw both of them doing the dance, and rubbing on each other. They havent cleaned off a spot for the eggs yet, but I dont think she is ready yet. Her ovipositer has not been visible. I am hoping to come home to some eggs in the next couple months.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Rule number one is going to be feeding, feed a ton and pick foods high in protein and fats. I run PE mysis through a food processor to get it to a fineer more edible grain for my fish as it's one of the highest protein packed foods available. Spectrum, formula one pellet, and prime reef flakes are also among my favorites.
    ~J