Thread: Help with a Frogspawn/Hammer 'Bleaching'

Post Thanks / Like

Help with a Frogspawn/Hammer 'Bleaching'

So, I recently received a nice Frogspawn and a Hammer Colony from a friend. When I received them, they are pretty bleached. They were under PC's and the tank was a bit warm. All the brown is gone from the polyps but some of the tips are still green. From what I've read, that means that a good portion of the zooxanthellae are gone from them. They are currently under a 150w HQI sunpod over a 29BC. I've been target feeding mysis for about 5 days now and they seem to be eating, but I've not seen any improvement and it's hard to tell if they are actually recessing any more. Any tips or anything else I can do to help save these two colonies? Thanks!! - Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. Offering good water conditions and proper light will do them well. I think it is just a matter of time to see if they pull through or were to far gone to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it was so weird because I saw these corals about a week before I got them and they looked great. Then all of a sudden I get a call and they are bleached white. Don't know if they are going to make it though. I did actually get that piece of leather back from my buddy that I gave him when I tore down my tank as well. (The one that you gave me originally) It's pretty pissed right now, (it was torn off a rock) but has good growth on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if they are getting a little too much UV from that bulb.........typically they only bleach from that, I've seen euphyllias fade but not really bleach unless you got UV comin out of that bulb somehow........150 HQI are unshielded so make sure the glass covers the bulb!

"His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body and his blood smells like cologne". The Most Interesting Man in the World

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, the glass is over the bulb. Its an HQI Sunpod I picked up from Roush. They were actually bleached when I got them. I've slowly been acclimating them to the MH as they came from some PC's that I'm sure had a pretty dramatic color shift. I'm just trying to do what I can to save them now. Any idea why they would have lost all that zooxanthellae from his tank? The only thing I can think of is heat. Like I was saying, they looked fine a week before I picked them back up, but then very quickly bleached in his tank. Thanks guys! - Nathan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I read that the recovery process could take awhile, and it did! The F/S is now colored back up and healthy. Took a full 3 months and a lot of target feeding, but they have almost returned to their previous glory. Thanks for all the help guys!