Thread: what about a dual club DBTC Meeting?

Post Thanks / Like

what about a dual club DBTC Meeting?

Ok so this is nothing formal and would definitely have to wait until some time after fragstock, maybe even next year once/if both boards can put something together but.........I wanted to see what the springers would think about doing a mixed club "Don't Break The Chain" meeting?? Ill give the link at the end for those people who aren't sure what the DBTC concept is, but I think its similar or is a pay it forward thing.

The DBTC program is always going on and is basically this. If you have an extra frag of something or a coral has outgrown your tank then you can post it on our site in its proper category and donate it to someone. They take it with the understanding that they will grow it out and once its big enough they donate 2 frags to other people.

We recently had a DBTC meeting with a very similar concept. People brought corals and we seperated them into 3 different categories; rare, uncommon, and common. For every coral you get a ticket with an R, UC, or C written on it pertaining to the category the coral fell into. Then we start drawing randomly from the rare category and if your ticket is drawn you pick from the list of all the corals. It was a pretty big success with about 150 corals in all donated, even people who didn't bring frags were donated corals!! Quite a bit of these were rare corals.

Again, we would have to work out the details but it would be cool if we could at LEAST souble that to 300 corals! We could choose a members home somewhere in between denver and the springs?? Please, if you have any comments, ideas, or questions feel free to ask away!

Here is a link to the meeting we just had, with a small taste of what was brought
    http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ead.php?t=4285

Here is a link to the DBTC instructions
    http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...ead.php?t=2553
    Last edited by hurrafreak; 07-17-2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Its' better to be respected than feared

I am the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be

The excellence of execution

Blue Diamond Aquatics honoreetamore's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like an awesome idea! I know when I first got into this I had a bunch of corals given to me or sold super cheap just to help me out... I have already been able to paid it forward a lil to other newbs bc everything was growing so great!

Count me in for coming with several corals when/if you guys get this going!!!

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome!! Like I said it probably wouldn't be until sometime after Fragstock as that is a BIG deal, and we at MASC hope that its a HUGE success!!!! But we want to see if anybody over here at SCMAS would be interested in a joint meeting to help members of both clubs out!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the first thing to check on is where you are gunna have it, like how you brought up having it somehwere in between Denver and Co Springs. Maybe more people would be able to say if they were interested or not if they had a better idea of travel times etc since this most likely will be after members get out of work ..just a thought.

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead.
    ~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    Well for now, lets just ASSUME(I know what happens when you assume lol) that everyone can make it. The only thing I want to gather is whether or not people would even be interested. We had quite a bit of excitement when we did it as the last MASC meeting and wanted to see if SCMAS might be interested as well. We can get the details nailed down later on down the road and then you can decide for sure if you can make it, just hoping now that people outside of our own club might think it was a cool meeting idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh ok well you already know how I feel about it

Anyone else???

~Louisa May Alcott

Post Thanks / Like
    Great idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well thank you sir! I think we originally got the idea from BAR? Well I still want to see how many people are interested in this! Remember, the whole point of the DBTC is to diversify peoples' tanks AND to help out fellow reefers.

I man, I can't tell you how many times I hear peole say that things are overgrowing in their tanks, well, this is a great free up some space AND help other people at the same time.

If you have a MASC ID feel free to come discuss it over there as well! Either way, we just want to hear from everyone!

http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums...2300#post42300

I think it would be a lot of fun count me in

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good to me!
    Jason Davis
    'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'
    - Ronald Reagan

Pimped out 40g breeder mixed reef, 20g sump, with ASM Mini G

Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully by this time some of my corals will be ready to frag but sure I'll go count me in as long as I'm not doing dumb army training

Lippy
    Sounds great, I always like coming to anytype of club related stuff you guys are so awesome!!!! Lol!!! as long as the the old man is up for it the dunnocks will be there!

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, I'm glad to see more and more interest in this!! Hopefully we can/will get this going!!

Website Administrator

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good! The only thing that I'm thinking about is the location. I'm thinking either somewhere like maybe Castle Rock or, if it has to be in Denver, somewhere that CS people would go to anyway like one of the LFS' in Denver.
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    Once we do some firm plans we will try and do somewhere in the middle.