Thread: Just Did a Test Side to side. Guess what won, a 9 year old mac, or a 1 year old pc.

Post Thanks / Like

Just Did a Test Side to side. Guess what won, a 9 year old mac, or a 1 year old pc.

I just set both my 9 year old PowerBook G4 in titanium next to my 1 year old Compaq Presario CQ60. Turned both on, the pc running Vista booted up to the name screen about 3 seconds faster, When both got to the screen I logged in on both clicking at the same time, the PowerBook running Mac OSX 10.4.11 made it first, then I waited about 30 seconds for the pc to get to the screen, opened up both internets, mac made it faster, closed out. I then opened up iTunes, vista was still closing out of IE8, while I was already listening to music on my mac. To give you some specs, my powerbook has a 20gb HD, and my pc has a 250gb, the pc has a better processor, yet 10.4.11 still opens faster, this OSX at the time was competing with the original xp. Sad. Very sad for Pc's. But hilarious for Mac owners. -Harrison James
    125 Show In Wall

The money that used to get poured into my tank, now gets poured into my car.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested to see both run in a completely stripped down version and not with all the bogus crap that Compaq loaded on to run in the background.

Ohhhh itunes is an Apple product, of course it is going to run faster on a Mac.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Website Administrator

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Load Linux on the cheaper PC and then run the same test!
    -David!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    I'd be interested to see both run in a completely stripped down version and not with all the bogus crap that Compaq loaded on to run in the background.

Ohhhh itunes is an Apple product, of course it is going to run faster on a Mac.
    I forgot to mention I opened itunes on the mac, and windows media player on the pc. Woops sorry
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!
    I always get a kick out of such threads, and I guess it depends on what you call a pc.
    Imho my pc will smoke a stack of macs performing fpc's and rendering fps and for that matter converting all those tunes for your mobil media player.
    A mac would literally burn up and the magic smoke would come out just trying to keep up.
    Its all fun and both systems have a market for users, and it depends on what you use the computer for.

md
    Workstation class computer user

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah... you need a real system. A nice SPARC chip or four, 1 TB of memory, a small raid and a nice graphics card. All sitting desk side. Throw in a little Solaris 10, a nice ZFS file system and some SSDs.

Oh, wait... they were assimilated.... resistance is futile......

My little SunBlade will live on though.......
    DARC Board Member

If at first you don't succeed.... you didn't quarantine long enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate apple so much I even have a ZUNE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmougey View Post
    Nah... you need a real system. A nice SPARC chip or four, 1 TB of memory, a small raid and a nice graphics card. All sitting desk side. Throw in a little Solaris 10, a nice ZFS file system and some SSDs.

Oh, wait... they were assimilated.... resistance is futile......

My little SunBlade will live on though.......
    We're comparing a 9 year old mac to a 1 year old pc, the best thing would be to get a top of the line pc and a top of the line mac, or I could compare this Mac to my dell, same year but the HD and processor are bigger and nicer. Oh wait I cant because my dell only boots up to the log in screen on xp and then restarts itself. Lol. I have nothing against dell, hp, whatever, I have problems with Windows.
    125 Show In Wall

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the boot sector my have a corrupt file. Have you tried reinstalling windows? Do you have a separate boot disc?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blue71 View Post
    We're comparing a 9 year old mac to a 1 year old pc, the best thing would be to get a top of the line pc and a top of the line mac, or I could compare this Mac to my dell, same year but the HD and processor are bigger and nicer. Oh wait I cant because my dell only boots up to the log in screen on xp and then restarts itself. Lol. I have nothing against dell, hp, whatever, I have problems with Windows.
    I love my iMac, MacAir, iPod, iPhone, AppleTv and TimeCapsule. It's Unix under the covers... how can things be bad?

Closest I get to Windows is inside a VM..... and then only if I get hazardous duty pay.

-Rob
    DARC Board Member

If at first you don't succeed.... you didn't quarantine long enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Sounds like the boot sector my have a corrupt file. Have you tried reinstalling windows? Do you have a separate boot disc?
    I haven't really had the time to mess with it yet, but I'll try that soon.
    125 Show In Wall

Jiggyfly
    I find it odd Mac users are always trying to justify their machine and prove what a wonderful thing it is. Even stranger is Bill Gates having to buy into apple to keep them afloat so he wouldn't have a monopoly on the computer world. I work in an industry that used to be dominated by Mac but in the last few years PC has passed and rules triumphant. Prolly with a little help from Adobe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jiggy- Nice dog, he's almost metallic. (I still Have those shrooms they multiply like crazy)
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention the PC is running VISTA.

Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty, for it to be a fair test, you would have to have virtually the same hardware installed in both machines. I know this isn't entirely feasible due to the nature of a lot of Apple products but you can find hardware setups that are equivilant. I would also agree that the systems should be stripped down (software wise) so that only essential items to proper operation are installed. "Store bought" PC's are loaded with miscellaneous BS that run in the background and eat up processing bandwidth. The best way to compare would be a benchmarking program however, as long as you run the same apps then the test should be fairly accurate. You could almost argue the fact that you are comparing apples to oranges. No pun intended. Now... if you ask me, running a unix based OS would be the ideal way to go. Just my two cents ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Cool!
    I always get a kick out of such threads, and I guess it depends on what you call a pc.
    Imho my pc will smoke a stack of macs performing fpc's and rendering fps and for that matter converting all those tunes for your mobil media player.
    A mac would literally burn up and the magic smoke would come out just trying to keep up.
    Its all fun and both systems have a market for users, and it depends on what you use the computer for.

md
    Workstation class computer user

Must revise this!.
    I noticed the other day on Apples' website, that you can configure a small desk top $upercomputer. Cost is about double, but I guess you're getting a Porsche quality box with top bin hardware inside.