Thread: Algae

Post Thanks / Like

Algae

OK, my rics are really shriveled up and have been this way for a while. There is some red algae growing around that looks like some kind of goop. My Dad and I are skeptical about this but believe this problem is connected to the algae.
    I try to remind myself that my tank doesn't need anymore money thrown at it... my inner capitalist then takes over.

Post Thanks / Like
    One may not be a cause of the other, but both could be due to a common cause, like poor lighting or poor water quality. It's hard for anyone to give you any advice without knowing all about your system--salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, alkalinity, lighting, type of filtration, temperature, etc.
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like cyano bacteria. Suck up as much as you can, increase your flow and keep the lights off for a few days.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely cyano, but we don't know what's causing the cyano or shriveling rics. Could be cyano causing the ric problem, or something else causing both problems, like nitrates at 100, ammonia spike, no water changes, or even incandescent lighting for all we know. Only 18 posts, and no member named Polypsrock in RC or MASC, even though he's from Denver. I suspect he could be a newbie, and he needs to be encouraged to track all of his params so they can be used to help diagnose the cause.

PolypsRock, what can you tell us about your tank?

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh 29 gallon, a royal gramma, yellow headed jawfish, a clown fish, 1 duncan, 1 toadstool, 4 zoas,a dendro, birdsnest, a neon star polyp colony (huge) some waving hands and a xenia tree. Did a water change last week, fluctuating calcium
    phosphate reactor, protein skimmer. 2 T5 HO 24 Watt with 10 KK and 460nm Actinic fixtures in each -4 bulbs
    lot of liverock
    -rather messy but that's it-
    I try to remind myself that my tank doesn't need anymore money thrown at it... my inner capitalist then takes over.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I just put a new power-head on.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Polyps, how long has the tank been up and running? What is your feeding schedule like? Flow?
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    We started corals about a month before last years Fragstock. We've had the tank for 6 years roughly. Zoas do really well, and there is a kind of encrusting coral with polyps on long stocks. I feed a combo of Roti Feast, Phyto Feast, and Arcti Pods every 3 days. Have a Koralia Nano and a Zoo Med PS-20

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, have our lights turned off and have the tank draped.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also try and suck up as much as you can and remove it from the tank. I use a siphon hose filtered through a filter sock and you can do this in conjunction with a water change or reuse the water, after you have filtered it.

The New glass 300 build

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone experiences some issues with their systems, but it's surprising for it to pop up after 6 years.

Think back to what changed in your tank in the week or two before the outbreak. Anything--temp change, lighting change, choice of food, new salt mix, new supplements, new livestock or rock in the tank--could have triggered it. You mentioned a water change. Was it before or after the outbreak? Do you do routine water changes, or was this your first in a weeks or months?

Post Thanks / Like
    We have water changes routinely, we did introduce a small zoa colony.