Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac or PC?

Post Thanks / Like

Mac or PC?

Which do you like better/ I like macs better but alas I have a pc.
    125 Show In Wall

The money that used to get poured into my tank, now gets poured into my car.

randomfish
    i"m a mac and love it

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't stand computer's but will sum my thought up just like the computer guru that said it. Mac= media center pics/movies/music only, Pc= well older ppl that grew up with working them, or pc= buisness person, Mainly because most macs don't work well with most company's software/window base programs (my expereince's money, excel, word (don't know why), power point (very big one)) Oh and I'm a PC pers and I'm a PC person mainly because If my laptop get's a virus I can recover from it but a mac your buying a new one Just mt 2cents for what it's worth

Post Thanks / Like
    all i can say to this is Mac users swear by their computers while Pc users just swear at theirs
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

Take it easy and if its easy take it twice

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, But of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say, 'We did this ourselves.

my theory is friends first! when buying, selling, or giving things away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would take my Alienware any day over a Mac, but that is IMO. Dual GTX 260 video cards with onboard 9800 with quad core processing at 2.4 gigs a piece. This thing screams and there is not a game out there right now that will bog it down (YET). I am a big gamer so yes, I am a PC fan, but if I was to create songs, movies, videos, or do a bunch of grahpics or web development then I might invest in a Mac. Otherwise... You will have to pry my dead fingers off of my Alienware!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what you want to do with it. I love my Mac. I also need to run Microsoft software for business, so I use Fusion to run a Windows OS and apps, on top of my Mac. You can get Excel, Word and Powerpoint for Mac, or you can use the free OpenOffice which can read and save any type of document, spreadsheet or presentation.

The best thing about Mac is that you can make an appointment at the Apple Store's Genius Bar and they will help you when you walk in. You can also call their US based phone support. Good folks, great software and system. I love my iMac, and MacAir, and Mac Book Pro and iPod and iPhone and Time Capsule and.... oops..... got a little carried away... but then that's how I earn my living.
    DARC Board Member

If at first you don't succeed.... you didn't quarantine long enough!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmougey View Post
    The best thing about Mac is that you can make an appointment at the Apple Store's Genius Bar and they will help you when you walk in. You can also call their US based phone support. Good folks, great software and system.
    I this sums up the reason i switched to mac verses pc.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
    -Albert Einstein

A leader is best when people barely know he exists, But of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say, 'We did this ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    for a new user, I would 100% recommend windows to them. Not because I dislike a Mac, but because simply put, when you have a problem, the only person who is going to be able to help you is the mac store (for the most part), but that same new user can probably pick up the phone and call someone they know for help on a windows pc.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but there's the great thing about the Mac, you don't have the same problems that you end up with from that other PC OS.

Honestly, either can make a good choice. You'll pay more for a Mac in money, you'll pay more for a PC in time.

-Rob
    DARC Board Member

Post Thanks / Like
    or just run a PC set up with something like mint or ubuntu (KDE/Gnome) (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome)

get the best of both worlds and have an entire open source software community open up to you (if there is a widget or gadget you think you should have; someone out there has more then likely created it.)

i once read with linux comes freedom (then of course with freedom comes choice.)!
    at the end of the day i guess it really boils down to what do plan to use it for!
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    I want a mac more than I want that 210g on ebay... which is a lot!!!
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but there's the great thing about the Mac, you don't have the same problems that you end up with from that other PC OS.

Honestly, either can make a good choice. You'll pay more for a Mac in money, you'll pay more for a PC in time.

-Rob
    I have to disagree. I do end user technical support for mac as well as windows 40 hrs a week. There are new users on both operating systems who have no idea how to do anything. Just because YOU dont have problems with your Mac and know how to use it doesnt meant that others do. I talk to people who have problems with their MAC.. Just today I had a customer whos mac was crashing. I have no problems with windows Vista yet its a "horrible operating system". The truth is Mac isnt perfect and either is Windows. As a general rule Mac users are more knowledgeable about their computers and its because they have no choice but to learn on their own. That isnt my opinion, thats what they tell me. We are encouraged to BS with our customers and that often comes up with Mac users. The worst thing I deal with is an elderly customer who is forced into a Mac because their technically knowledgeable child likes them. When trying to give technical support, its so much easier to for someone to find the windows menu than the apple menu. I dont know why, but it is..
    Last edited by notchback5.0; 03-05-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad won't buy a mac because they're too expensive, I love macs but it is true, you can buy a pc for less than half the price of a mac.
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but you just have to love that US based telephone support, AppleCare and the free Genius Bar in every Apple store.

My lovely iMac went crashing to the floor the other day while I was working with it. One of the dogs bolted from under the desk, caught the power cable and whipped the iMac off the desk, crashing into a closet door 30 inches away and knocking the door out of it's track, then landing screen down on top of other remnants from the desk. It shattered the glass anti-glare screen, dented the aluminum and scratched the LED screen. Damn if it didn't work when I picked it up off the floor. Just need to convince them to go to magnetic power supply cables, just like the laptops use.
    DARC Board Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it work still? Did apple replace it?
    125 Show In Wall

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it still works.... and it's currently at the Apple store getting it's glass anti-glare shield replaced. They will also test it out to make sure all is OK. Applecare will cover as it was accidental damage.

-Rob
    DARC Board Member

Post Thanks / Like
    At least you're not out $1700
    125 Show In Wall

Courtney
    I am a PC person myself. Know windows in and out so if something goes wrong I fix it myself. As far as Vista....never had a problem I DIDNt CAUSE! I am now running Widows 7 and have been for a year and for a new operating system I have had no issues with it either....AGAIN THAT I DIDNT CAUSE!. I tend to go in and screw things up really bad just to see if I can recover from it without having to get tech support on the phone.

I would be willing to say most PC errors are operator caused in my experience in one way or another. The few times I have had to call tech I just asked for a "Stateside Tech" and was transferred to someone right away.

I swear by my HP too. I have a business account with them which gives me a great warranty and they have replaced a laptop I fried no questions asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blue71 View Post
    At least you're not out $1700
    More like $2800 with the 8GB of memory, 2TB HDD and a few other goodies. but, yes, very glad it's OK. I run Fusion, so my Windows apps, Linux and Solaris VMs can all run side by side. Gotta love VMware.

I also run Virtual Box on my Sparc system.... one is just never enough...... have to keep us Unix folks happy you know, lest the PC folk take over the world. Oh... wait... I think it's too late.
    DARC Board Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I also run Virtual Box on my Sparc system....
    WOW
    I would guess by reading this thread, that not many people even know what you are talking about!

As for mac or pc
    hmmmm. both are ok
    Pc's have been the standard for business "making money" for 25+ years.
    Good reason to own and use one!
    In fact I had to take down an aquarium in my office to just fit my current system. A person can put together a very powerfull workstation these days!

regards
    md