Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming parrots

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. Its interesting to hear different stories. I met 2 different people who own parrots. One of them had 2 white parrots living together and one of them died and then the living parrot started pulling its own feather and haven't been quite right after that. They never got another parrot as companionship for that one.

Another people had this African Grey parrot... one day that parrot escaped and was up in one of trees. The owners couldn't locate it for few days until they got a lead from someone that the parrot could have been in that tree. So the guy went out and start whistling and heard his parrot... they both whistled back and forth until he located exactly where the parrot is. The parrot came down to him. Yay!! The parrot got back home but he wasn't quite right after that either! He was always nervous after that.

Not too sure how I will be able to rehabilitate these parrots with some issues. So, from these stories, I can see that the parrots require specific care and attention. I don't want to end up with a neurotic parrot if I am not doing a good job as a parrot owner They are so smart and cute but I can't justify having one just yet.

So... BIG props to you for rehabilitating these parrots!!

Post Thanks / Like
    when i was in the navy one of my guys had a red macaw, he was the 3rd generation of his family to take care of this bird. was cool though, he would follow you around like a dog and had free range of the house.
    my name is Ryan and the toad is not for licking!

nur.dls
    When my sister lived in Castle Rock with her husband. He was working out in the yard and this parrot landed on his shoulder. They made him a home and named him Last chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelBob View Post
    Stacy, I know what you mean. I think "conure" means "ear splitting screams" in some foreign language. How can such sound come from such a small bird?

Alcedok9, what rescue did you work with?
    My wife has a Green Cheek, he's pretty good but once in a while he can get crazy loud. She wants to get a Kiek as well, all of them I have seen were very intertaining and playful but spendy.
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean a caique? Very energetic birds.
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nur.dls View Post
    When my sister lived in Castle Rock with her husband. He was working out in the yard and this parrot landed on his shoulder. They made him a home and named him Last chance.
    Cool. What kind?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    there was a breeder of black headed caique in Denver. She did a great job with them. I'll search my brain and see if I can remember her name. I know her license plate was Birdmomma

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SnorkelBob View Post
    Do you mean a caique? Very energetic birds.
    yeah that's the one
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    You got it phonetically correct though. They named it caique because of the sound they make (ka-eek, ka-eek). I don't think the bird cares how you spell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an African Grey...got it when it was real young, had it for a few years. When I moved to Durango we didn't have our furniture yet and the grey was on the floor. it bit my dogs tail and the dog turned and snapped at it. it barely grazed the bird. 3 days later it was dead of infection. Super smart bird...it was like having a kid around. My in laws felt bad for me and bought me another. It just wasn't the same so I found another home for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last of the birds have been adopted, thank God. It's sure peaceful around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Yay for that

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'll take a break from rescuing birds for a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aye, just until you get the bug again LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely not tempted to start up again as long as I have 4 dogs, a cat and a reef tank. They keep me too busy. Here's the 6-month old German Shepherd we just adopted.

Post Thanks / Like
    back in tx we have wild parrots who build nests in radio towers over baseball fields http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-bea...-83037507.html these are just some of them. my uncle hit 1 with his car and had to rehabilitate it and eventually decided to keep it due to it calling his name and saying i love you lol

Some say being a big REEFER is illegal... I think it's all in what type of plants you grow. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for what you do, I know how it is we have a blue headed pionus that we rescued and she had basically no tail feathers and no head feathers and her beak is tweaked. We also rescued a blue and gold macaw he is awesome!

Senior Member ShankStripedLyretail's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Props to you for what you are doing!! I think it's very hard to provide a perfect home for a bird in order for them to be absolutely happy, and someone who gets one should be completely dedicated to their care.

The woman we received our 180g tank from had relinquished 35 pairs of parrots to a rescue(?) I think. She was sick but before, had been keeping them all in a down stairs room. When we went to break down the tank, I couldn't believe there had been that many birds in a single room... I hope they all found good homes, as I like to think the fish certainly did.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife has an umbrella. Fun bird not too expensive for what it is but def LOUD. Only yells when my wife leaves the room.