Thread: copepodgeek updated, handbook up!

Post Thanks / Like

copepodgeek updated, handbook up!

Posted this on reefcentral, but lately the only section of RC I've been hitting is SCMAS so I might as well start a thread here...

The www.copepodgeek.com site is updated... While I still have to work some of the link kinks out I've tossed up a quick and dirty pod culturing handbook. I'll be adding pictures and more info to it when time provides. I hope it comes in handy for someone.

Coincedentally I've been looking at instructions from others through this whole thing and I've noticed the same two setups pretty constantly... the 10 gallon tank by frank marini at http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...3/breeder2.htm and the multiple 2 litre bottle rig supported by PVC... I've done my own version of both and dont really get it...

The 10 gallon fouled too easily, was impossible to harvest from, and the opportunity for contamination was just massive.... The 2 litre bottle rig takes up way too much space and resources for what it provides.... Granted I still have a few bottle cultures going but I've started moving to the big ole jug with pet**** method as it's just a breeze....

I wanna try a flow through, something with some mechanical filtration to get the detritus off the bottom of these jugs.... I suppose I could drill em for a sump or something along those lines but it's important that I keep the cultures separated... If one gets contaminated I only want to dump the one. I've already learned the lesson of sharing culture media.

Anyhow, ideas no matter how random are always appreciated.... it's sorta a tricky one as I need some form of mechanical filtration that wont remove the pods themselves.... I keep thinking biological filter but I dont want to watch nitrates jump up and de-nitrater coils require so much work in time to get a 50/50 possibility that it's just not feasable.... macro's an option but I'd need to find a way to get it perfectly clean... perhaps scrubbing a single peice of caulerpa and examining it under my scope to make sure... and hoping it grows? then I have lighting to worry about... of course if it's sumped that's not a huge deal, but how do I transport.... hrmmm

tricky....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joe, I will create a new forum for you under special intrests, and sticky your post.
    Got Pico?

Welcome to my Dementia. Huhhhhh's Avatar
    Archery 2000 Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Joe, you got your own forum, way to go.
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

And remember you can always lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet, might kick in some good outside interest when people constantly google "copepods"

Post Thanks / Like
    site has been updated to reflect link to thescmas.com instead of scmasclub.com new blog up, not much else yet...
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright so a combination of things caused it but now I'm furthering my studies...

Just added a "other studies" section to the site, the first post.... the stuff I've found out about Ich!!! While it was a quick post, eventually like everything else I'll get around to cleaning it up if I get the time... But check it out, I learned a whole lot I had no idea about!!!
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    alrighty, more updates of course... I'm trying to update it at least weekly... got a handbook on there which is still in the works and a gallery of pod and tank pics! yaay for pipefish.

At the moment I am currently waiting for the silicone to dry on my new and improved "pod vacuum" after which I will test and if it works as I expect you will see a DIY section for a critter grabber. the early version is up in the gallery pics and the new version will be remote not requiring one to sink a jar in ones tank.

The whole apparatus is basically a mason jar with a powerhead and a screen, the first run had a 660 whateverwhoozit cheapo on it that I couldnt exactly plumb remote. New version uses a maxijet 400 with outlet plumbed so that I can pipe it into the tank (thus keeping apparatus out of tank) and several airline tubing inlets. I hope the new version works like I expect, it should be cake to walk up to the tank, plop inlet and outlet tubes in, plug in powerhead to start flow, and vacuum away. I originally created this contraption to suck flatworms out of my sump, the target vacuum though has proved amazingly useful in harvesting pods to start another possible master culture.

I will update when I get the DIY on the site.
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    heh I suppose this ones way different now.... a new new copepodgeek site is now up and well... not quite polished.... but hey check it out the new format is much much more slick

http://www.copepodgeek.com

I'll add more info as I have time naturally, but eh... it's that time thing
    ~J

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that spends more time messing with his hobby than making money
    Looks great Joe, soon you'll be giving talks at our events, you'll need to work on a presentation soon, then you'll be off to MACNA!
    I know, I know I hear the excuses coming already...........
    C

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com