Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction and Mug Shots Thread

The Forgotten One

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ronen!
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others

Post Thanks / Like
    s' unfortunate your not in the area this month Ronen, we've got a killer frag swap planned!
    ~J

Questin
    Intro hmm ok, Hi my Name is John and I have kept my hands out of my tank for 4 weeks!

34 year old child that drives like an *** and I think I am still 18
    I have a 55ish reef tank with zoas and rics, and a hulk!
    I have a 125 fresh water plant tank that looks like a glass of sprite with all those bubbles
    I have a 33 long frag tank with algae and a one eyed sailfin tang and a short legged arrow crab

Deepwater
    Quote Originally Posted by THEJRC View Post
    s' unfortunate your not in the area this month Ronen, we've got a killer frag swap planned!
    Thanks Reet

JC , If i went to every frag swap <i i would be homeless ( i like that smiley ) and would have to upgrade my tank every few months lol

We have a frag swap here on the 27th as well ,from NJRC gonna be very cool. If i get a chance ill take some pics. But im gonna have a table there and it gets crazy ,aSo ill have copy and paste the pic of others Shhhh

Post Thanks / Like
    My name is John, my wife Alisa and I moved here to Colorado Springs from the "motherland" UK 6 years ago. I am a Brit, born and bred, my wife is a Southern girl from Alabama!

I first was introduced to the saltwater passion back in England - 9 years ago when my wife bought me my first 30 gal tank for my 30th birthday. I setup a mixed fish and invert tank with live rock, upgraded to a 50 gal, contructed a homemade lighting fixture, canister filters, skimmer, fluid bed filter etc. Alas, in the UK back then, not much equipment & technology was available and a lot you had to make many things for yourself. We battled for years with Nitrates in the water (did not have an RO/DI unit), insufficient lighting, cooling etc. Sadly when we moved to the USA I gave away all my tank(s), livestock.

After a year here in Colorado we purchased a 180gal tank, vho lights, sump, skimmer etc, ro/di unit. Alas, after cycling and stocking, this became nicknamed as the "Death TANK" - due to the now infamous demise of 200 lbs of fiji live rock (became dead rock) and everything else that was in the tank at the time. Some unknown contaminent had gotten into the tank and basically killed everything, no amount of water changes, carbon etc, saved us or the contents. That put us off the hobby for a few years as you can imagine! A couple of years ago we again returned to the saltwater love and, after thoroughty clearning, disinfecting, cleaning, rinsing, lots of praying to the Reef Gods, spun up the tank and slowly started over.

The tank is once again up and running, 180 gallons, vho lights (6x96w), sump (20 gallon), skimmer (aqua-c), homemade chiller (using a refridgerator and 96 ft of tubing). The "Death-TANKS" deadrock is live once again, after obtaining another 40 lbs of liverock. We have a wonderful leather 8-10" coral that's grown steadily for 2 years and left multiple juveniles as it slowly wanders around. Some furry mushroom's, green star polyps. We also have a yellow tang who has happily lived for 2 years, a black/white clown (uses the leather as her home) and a pack of juvenile Concivt Blennies (recent additions). Sadly the clown's partner died a year ago of unknown causes (simply vanished) and the pair of allen's damsel's jumped out of the tank without a safety net a few months back. (prompting addition of egg-create to to of tank as otherwise it was open). Other assorted small hermits, nasarius snails, a monsterous green brittle star, a sand shifting star and a tiger cucumber form our limited detritous cleaning team.

The "death-TANK" continues to improve slowly, and we continue to battle out most recent plague, "Aptasia" /shiver. These vile, devil's spawn little critters manged to recently kill our bubble coral, candy and slipper corals, the soft corals seemingly to be more resistant to their infestation. No amount of injecting, pasting with Kalwasser stops them or their progress. Our hope is to one day manage to return to the healthy Reef mixed community tank we had to give away in England when we moved.

So, that's if for us so far. It is great to find a Reef Community here in Colorado Springs!

Warm Regards,
    John & Alisa
    Last edited by DKone; 10-05-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    John & Alisa, wecome to SCMAS! Hopefully was can help you guys get that tank looking the way you want it! For your aptasia problem, start by adding about 5-10 peppermint shrimp (not camel shrimp) and see if you can find a Copper Banded Butterfly... Between the shrimp and fish, the aptaisia will disappear.
    Happy Reefing
    -Eric
    It's just advice; you can do what ever you want to do!

Click Here, Here, or Here, To See My Previous Tanks

Click Here, or Here, for help with your acrylic project.

Post Thanks / Like
    John & Alisa, what a wonderful introduction!!
    Welcome to SCMAS! This club is really good to me I'm still very new to SW world but not so new to FW world.
    I hope you find your stay here a wonderful one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for the warm welcome. We already tried the "Peppermint" shrimp approach. Alas, the poor little creatures vanished within a few weeks (it's possible that my green brittle star found them appetising or something did!). I'll start a different thread to discuss our war on Aptasia, though would say that I have a CopperBanded on order, though am still waiting for the LFS to have a healthy one for delivery. Both Alisa and I are looking forwards to being a part of a community to discuss, share our joys and failures together with. One day the "death-TANK" shall have a new name !!!

Kind Regards,

Welcome to my Dementia. Huhhhhh's Avatar
    Archery 2000 Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to SCMAS John & Alisa. Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. I'm sure between all of us we'll get your problem taken care of.

Try and post a pic of yourselves so we can say "HI" when we see you in the LFS's
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

And remember you can always lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally managed to get ahold of a mug shot, though I keep thinking I look like a "British Psycho!", just need to carry a Union Jack flag now!

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean you don't have one tattooed on your shoulder? Welcome to SCMAS

Post Thanks / Like
    Tattoo ! hell no ! 6'3, and the mere sight of someone coming near me with a needle is too much !

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Mr Blenny

Archery 2000 Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mrblenny welcome to SCMAS. Please tell us a little about yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like we have a host of new bees, Sweet welcome everyone so far. I'll post a nose shot later when I find one that is clean. Tim your avitar rocks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Kevin Harrell
    (Kharrell)

This is me at the misfits show... I will keep trying to win the most scary mug shot contest...

I hope to become a more active member of The Southern Colorado Marine Aquarist Society.
    I have had my salt water tank running for about 3 years now.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kharrell; 12-02-2007 at 10:28 PM.
    My Tank Thread . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . How to Macro Photography Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Me and my wife last year in Maui

I have been in the hobby for about 2 years now and I'm severely addicted. I had a 12g nano and stepped up to a 125 about 6 months ago.

Archery 2000 Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to SCMAS kirblit. Are you going to make it to the frag swap on the 20th? It's an event you won't want to miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I will def. be there, that is actually how I found this site in the first place from one of your advertisements so I thought I would check out the site.
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like

So after deciding i didn't want to run at work today and not doing anything else at work all day i found ya'lls website (thank god)

so here it is

i am: Josh
    i work at schriever AFB (i'm a dirty cop for the airforce)
    still new to saltwater( 4 maybe 5 months), but just about any window licking retard i have run into could do a freshwater tank (about 5 years with that)

currently have a 90 gal FWLR tank for saltwater, a small 20 gal quarantine tank, that is comming down after this weekend (replacing with a 25) and a 72 bow that is freshwater (keep hoping if i ignore it the fish will die....no luck yet)

really looking forward to comming out to the swap.....it's so close too. i live on powers and woodan in the springs
    "Those who can DO, those who can't WISH THEY COULD"

“Illegitimis non carborundum” Gen Joseph Stillwell
    "for those of you who are confussed.....don't let the bastard grind you down