Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clam for borrow, trade or sale.

Asteroids Champion!
    Simon Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a water change.... now that is very odd...

Sorry to here that.
    It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the deal on T5 lighting.

2 years ago I was using 4T5s (2 overdriven, 2 normally driven, Bulbs were 2-6500k and 2-Blue Plus) with TEK reflectors. I also had 2 VHO bulbs. I kept 2 clams under this lighting for years. I only switched because of advice from others. I did not have a par meter but I am guessing my par was 150.

I am now using Icecap ballasts with Aquatinic reflectors. I am also using 4 foot bulbs. This is amongst the best you can use for T5s. It also helps that my tank is only 20" tall. The bulbs are 5" over the water. With this I have a par of 220 with just the 4 T5s. Adding in the 2 VHOs I have a par of 260. The T5 bulbs are 2-6500k and 2-Blue Plus.

Your par will depend on a few things.

1) How far off the surface are the lights. The closer the better.
    2) 4 foot bulbs are 50% brighter when overdriven by Icecap ballasts. 5 foot bulbs are only 10% brighter when overdriven.
    3) Tek 2 reflectors are good, but the don't reflect nearly as well as the Aquatinics. Unfortunately they don't make a lot of reflectors for 5 foot bulbs.

However, I had success with my original setup which is not as good as yours. I truthfully do not think it is the lighting.

Would you like me to come over and help you do some tests on your tank? I have a par meter, TDS meter, refractometer and various test kits that could help isolate your problem. If you would like help just give me a shout.

Dave
    <--- Those are really my clowns and anemone. Aren't they cute. In reality...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie40 View Post
    Here's the deal on T5 lighting.

2 years ago I was using 4T5s (2 overdriven, 2 normally driven, Bulbs were 2-6500k and 2-Blue Plus) with TEK reflectors. I also had 2 VHO bulbs. I kept 2 clams under this lighting for years. I only switched because of advice from others. I did not have a par meter but I am guessing my par was 150.

I am now using Icecap ballasts with Aquatinic reflectors. I am also using 4 foot bulbs. This is amongst the best you can use for T5s. It also helps that my tank is only 20" tall. The bulbs are 5" over the water. With this I have a par of 220 with just the 4 T5s. Adding in the 2 VHOs I have a par of 260. The T5 bulbs are 2-6500k and 2-Blue Plus.

Your par will depend on a few things.

1) How far off the surface are the lights. The closer the better.
    2) 4 foot bulbs are 50% brighter when overdriven by Icecap ballasts. 5 foot bulbs are only 10% brighter when overdriven.
    3) Tek 2 reflectors are good, but the don't reflect nearly as well as the Aquatinics. Unfortunately they don't make a lot of reflectors for 5 foot bulbs.

However, I had success with my original setup which is not as good as yours. I truthfully do not think it is the lighting.

Would you like me to come over and help you do some tests on your tank? I have a par meter, TDS meter, refractometer and various test kits that could help isolate your problem. If you would like help just give me a shout.

Dave
    That would be awsome Dave. I would hook you up with some zoa's if you made the trek out here. LMK