Thread: Looking for a structural engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a structural engineer

Can anybody recommend a good structural engineer to check out my floor and plans for adding a large tank? I'm going to be putting a 460 gallon 8' by 37.5" x 30.5" tank on my middle floor above my office/fish room in the basement.

It would help if they were so cheap they are free, and if they would tell me I don't need to brace anything (and be right).
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good structural engineer to check out my floor and plans for adding a large tank? I'm going to be putting a 460 gallon 8' by 37.5" x 30.5" tank on my middle floor above my office/fish room in the basement.

It would help if they were so cheap they are free, and if they would tell me I don't need to brace anything (and be right).
    Not an engineer but unless you have a truss running through the middle of the floor where the tank is going, you're going to need to brace a tank size.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of only adding puffer fish so they will be lighter. Maybe helium dosing.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'm thinking of only adding puffer fish so they will be lighter. Maybe helium dosing.
    That right there is funny! In all seriousness though, I would think there is no way around having some supports under it unless its on your beam, and even then you will prob need another leg or 2 under it. I would be very sceptical if an engineer said it was good, that's alot of weight for a second story without additional support.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kirblit; 01-25-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228