Thread: Skimmer help

Post Thanks / Like

Skimmer help

My skimmer has been doing this for 2 or 3 weeks now. I have done to water changes of 30% each in the last two weeks and the skimmer continues to do this within a few hours of cleaning the cup. Any thoughts on why or ways to stop it from overflowing out of my skimmer cup?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't yet, try turning the skimmer off for a few minutes and then back on, then try turning it was down if you can, and then working it back up. I don't know the why behind it, but I've seen mine start running excessively, and turning it way down until it stopped overflowing, then brining it right back up to max fixed it. Mine can even go from overflowing like crazy at less than a max setting back down to below the neck of the cup at max setting within one minute by doing that.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I've tried turning it off and back on... Lowering the bubble level to the lowest setting it just takes longer for it to get back to the same point.... It's like these bubbles are made of titanium. Lol thanks for the thoughts tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    If you haven't yet, try turning the skimmer off for a few minutes and then back on, then try turning it was down if you can, and then working it back up. I don't know the why behind it, but I've seen mine start running excessively, and turning it way down until it stopped overflowing, then brining it right back up to max fixed it. Mine can even go from overflowing like crazy at less than a max setting back down to below the neck of the cup at max setting within one minute by doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't tell if this is an internal or external skimmer. Any way to lower the water level in the skimmer?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's external, the water level varies very very little with the auto top off but the skimmer has been running on the tank for over a year and just in the last week or 2 has started doing this
    Quote Originally Posted by karlinkelly View Post
    I can't tell if this is an internal or external skimmer. Any way to lower the water level in the skimmer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it have an external air baffle? i had a small piece of algae plug mine when I started using it and it did something very similar.

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take the skimmer out and give it a vinegar bath.