Thread: Whatís wrong with my corals?

Post Thanks / Like

Whatís wrong with my corals?

Iíve been having issues with corals getting sick. First my chalices had problems, slowly eroding from the outside in. Then I noticed a big Red Planet acro colony had RTN. I cut off the bad section, but the remaining part started it again. I fragged it into multiple pieces to save some. Most of the frags were gone the next day. Dipping didnít help them. I had accidentally added too much alkalinity and thought that could be the SPS problem. Days later I kept noticing an SPS getting RTN, pretty much a new piece each day. I was worried I had a crazy bacterial outbreak going on. Most of what I fragged trying to save just died the next day no matter how far away from the bad section it was. Then I found what is probably the culprit. A cheap wire brush that had gotten into an overflow somehow and had corroded into multiple pieces. Iíve added poly fiber and am doing water changes. Hopefully that was the problem and this will fix it. After years of no problems, all the sudden nothing was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain went through a similar experience that I believe was Alk related. But I think it also might be because I was using baked baking soda instead of a commercial product and might of had a build up of impurities.

Post Thanks / Like
    That was probobly the issue, lots of metals being dissolved into the water. Im glad you found the problem though, nothing worse when stuff starts dying and you can't find anything wrong with your chemistry you can test. I think icp has saved some people that have done similar things and saw high tin numbers and that made them start looking for metal somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    That would probably do it!

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com