Thread: Diatoms?

Post Thanks / Like

Diatoms?

Hello all! Recently added coral after six months of stabilizing.

Never really ran lights because I only had a few fish. Now I am running ai prime HDs on 30% intensity using one of the pre-sets from their website.

Over the past few days this brown stuff has been appearing:

What am I up against here?

Temp:77
    Salinity: 35ppm
    Alk: 9 dKH
    Calc: 450 ppm
    Mag: 1430 ppm
    Trates: <5 ppm
    Phates: <.25 ppm
    pH: 8.3
    40b with a 10 gallon sump
    Urchin Skimmer
    Chaeto with a led grow bulb on opposite lighting schedule
    Manually dosing 2 part (low consumption currently)

I noticed this after target feeding reef roids. Moving toward Mysis only as my corals love it and blow up after eating.

I feed flake and mysis rotated other day and never over feed as I only have two clowns and maybe 20 hermit crabs. No snails.

I only have the brown where my lighting hits. Nothing under rocks where they cast a shadow and nothing in my sump.

How do I best go about getting rid of it?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    24 gallon reef w/ 10 gallon sump
    29 gallon planted freshwater

Just keep swimming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea looks like standard diatoms. Typical tank uglies for a new setup, even though yours isn't necessarily new, but now lighting it is. Get some snails and other clean up crew going. You will soon get hair algae and other goodies too. It will all pass with time and upkeep. With proper husbandry ect the uglies typically last a couple months then coraline will take over.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

3. Thanks Bill M. thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Yea looks like standard diatoms. Typical tank uglies for a new setup, even though yours isn't necessarily new, but now lighting it is. Get some snails and other clean up crew going. You will soon get hair algae and other goodies too. It will all pass with time and upkeep. With proper husbandry ect the uglies typically last a couple months then coraline will take over.

Thanks for the reply. I have had a ton of success with this tank and I was worried that I did something wrong.

Iíll keep the husbandry up (my gf already scoffs at me...ĒWhat are you doing?Ē ďFish tank stuff.Ē Lol) and keep the water changes up as well. I generally do 5 gal a week, and then every 4 weeks Iíll do a 15 gallon change.

Anything else that will help progress this?

Just keep swimming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, some snails and time will take care of most early tank uglies. You will more than likely get hair algae after the diatoms but snails will eat it if it's short so if it starts getting long manually remove it. Coraline will out compete most nuisance algae over time with good stable water parameters and husbandry.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    If you need some coralline to get it going, let me know. If there is any on the frag plugs you just added, you can scrape it off so it goes into the tank water and spreads around to seed new places.

Copepods eat diatoms. I learned that recently as I am digging deeper into improving my yield breeding them. Iím not sure if you would see a big difference from adding pods, just putting it out there that they will feed on them. They naturally feed on live phytoplankton and diatoms. They will eat detritus if there arenít other options, but their nutritional value goes way down. Yeah, I know, Iíve become a geek.

Don't look here for a comment.

7. Likes notxes11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joe. That is awesome for you to offer. I have some coraline growing on frag plugs, a few spots on rocks, and shells of crabs. Should I literally just scrape it off and then crush it into small pieces so that it spreads?

I have added a order of algae barns 5280 when I first added corals, and I can see them all over. Would you suggest adding another bag? I do add in phyto that I got from Chris at ReefKoi at 20ml/day. My corals are huge...so thankfully they aren't effected currently.

https://imgur.com/gallery/y6VnjJO

Others on reef central have suggested adding a herd of snails. I asked if i should QT them and to my surprise most have said not to worry about it. My gut tells me to QT anything that goes into the tank...what do all of you think? I live in Pueblo, and my best option for snails here is Petco. I could head up to see Chris at Reefkoi this weekend, but the summer hours actually make it tough for me to make it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just keep swimming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joe. That is awesome for you to offer. I have some coraline growing on frag plugs, a few spots on rocks, and shells of crabs. Should I literally just scrape it off and then crush it into small pieces so that it spreads?

I have added a order of algae barns 5280 when I first added corals, and I can see them all over. Would you suggest adding another bag? I do add in phyto that I got from Chris at ReefKoi at 20ml/day. My corals are huge...so thankfully they aren't effected currently.

Others on reef central have suggested adding a herd of snails. I asked if i should QT them and to my surprise most have said not to worry about it. My gut tells me to QT anything that goes into the tank...what do all of you think? I live in Pueblo, and my best option for snails here is Petco. I could head up to see Chris at Reefkoi this weekend, but the summer hours actually make it tough for me to make it.

Just keep swimming!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can just use a knife and scratch the coralline, most that comes will be really fine, and any chunks that may come off will not be an issue. If you scrape the frag or crab's shell over your live rock without flow for a few minutes, it will fall on the rock and may stay when you turn the flow back on and start growing there. Here is a link with some info about the parameters to help it grow. https://arcreef.com/live-rock/coralline-algae/ I've used some of the Caribsea Purple up in the past and I think it did help it spread faster, however a year or so ago I added some fake rock wall to my tank, and scraped coralline off dead snail shells and some frag plugs, and it established on the walls really fast without using any accelerator type stuff.

Cerith and Nerite snails are particularly good for eating diatoms too.
    Last edited by Joe; 06-05-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iím in Ptown and can help set you up with some snails or pods or whatever.

12. Likes notxes11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmoneyman View Post

PM sent!

Just keep swimming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post

Qt is a touchy subject amongst reefers to say the least. Qt is all what you want to get out of it. If you qt all new fish and want to have a completely disease free tank then qt is a must for everything, and yes, that means corals and inverts as well. If you are more inclined to just add stuff then no need to worry until it happens and yes, something will sneak by at some point that will infect your tank somehow. It may affect fish, corals, or just be a general pest like aptasia. I'm not saying qt is the only route to go but I have learned from experience it's way easier to deal with things up front than tearing a tank apart to fix it. It just takes more effort and space to do it properly and you have to be all in to do it right, just my $. 02.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    How's it looking now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmoneyman View Post

Heís a really great knowledgeable guy. He will treat you right. Thereís a few of us in pueblo to help you out. Like Joe said-howís the tank doing now? Any progress.

17. Likes jjmoneyman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So far so good. I added a bottle of the check six pods- (all the white dots you see in the photo are pods eating). Also added 2 trochus and 4 nassarius snails, 1 astrea snail ( bought two but one died) as well as a fighting conch. Things have cleared up and now I am just letting the CUC do their job.

Just keep swimming!

19. Thanks Joe thanked you for this post
    Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep swimming!

21. Likes FunFishin24, Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear it's going well. Keep updating as things grow and you add more!