Thread: Dual skimmer pump venturi?

Post Thanks / Like

Dual skimmer pump venturi?

My replacement skimmer pump came with a new venturi. I'm toying with the idea of putting two in series. Has anyone tried that before?
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oops. Can a mod please move this to the skimmer area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    My replacement skimmer pump came with a new venturi. I'm toying with the idea of putting two in series. Has anyone tried that before?
    I'm interested... Let us know what happens... My only fear would be the the possibility of forming too big of an air bubble, detracting from the main purpose.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Unimpressive so far. When I put my finger over the hose for the venturi farthest from the pump I don't notice any difference in the foam quantity or level. When I plug the other one the foam and water level drop a bit, and there are fewer tiny bubbles. When I remove one venturi the water level rises, which makes sense, since each venturi restricts water flow. I'll run it with two for a week to see if there's a difference.

Option #2 might be to connect a tee to the pump intake and have a venturi on each side branch.
    Last edited by SpaceOps; 01-22-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I checked the cup this morning and there's a lot of good skimmate from overnight. I'm guessing the first venturi restricted water intake enough, while allowing pretty much the same bubble production, and the end result seems to have been better skimming. I guess if I want more foam I'll have to introduce a second recirc pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    Unimpressive so far. When I put my finger over the hose for the venturi farthest from the pump I don't notice any difference in the foam quantity or level. When I plug the other one the foam and water level drop a bit, and there are fewer tiny bubbles. When I remove one venturi the water level rises, which makes sense, since each venturi restricts water flow. I'll run it with two for a week to see if there's a difference.

Option #2 might be to connect a tee to the pump intake and have a venturi on each side branch.
    Hmm... Thanks for the update... I like option 2

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk