Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tell me I'm not crazy

  1. #1
    Senior Member lsaint's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canon City
    Posts
    1,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Tell me I'm not crazy

    So I've been wanting to hook up my float switch on my new DC pump in theory the switch if it's installed correctly with the cables facing up if the switch is down in the lowest position the pump should turn off and if it's up the pump should be on right. Well with my pump is reversed and Reef Octopus is saying this is normal behavior I don't get it

    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsaint View Post
    So I've been wanting to hook up my float switch on my new DC pump in theory the switch if it's installed correctly with the cables facing up if the switch is down in the lowest position the pump should turn off and if it's up the pump should be on right. Well with my pump is reversed and Reef Octopus is saying this is normal behavior I don't get it

    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly or not, let me know. If the actual float part containing the magnet is switched on the post it can be either a normally open or normally closed circuit. Try switching the float itself around so it's a normally closed when up and open when the float drops. Hope this makes sense.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  3. #3
    Registered User karlinkelly's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsaint View Post
    So I've been wanting to hook up my float switch on my new DC pump in theory the switch if it's installed correctly with the cables facing up if the switch is down in the lowest position the pump should turn off and if it's up the pump should be on right. Well with my pump is reversed and Reef Octopus is saying this is normal behavior I don't get it

    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    If you want it work that way, just mount it upside down just below the water line.

  4. #4
    Senior Member lsaint's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canon City
    Posts
    1,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I'm looking into it more I was just overthinking it I just didn't like having to flip the float switch upside down to get it to work the way I wanted to

    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Senior Member maxthedog2000's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Pueblo, Durango, and Mancos Colorado
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsaint View Post
    Yeah I'm looking into it more I was just overthinking it I just didn't like having to flip the float switch upside down to get it to work the way I wanted to

    Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Usually those switches have a clip on the distal end you can remove then flip the floating mechanism over and reinstall the clip leaving the wires as they are.

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Member lsaint's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canon City
    Posts
    1,772
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog2000 View Post
    Usually those switches have a clip on the distal end you can remove then flip the floating mechanism over and reinstall the clip leaving the wires as they are.

    Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    WOOT That worked!!! The guy who I was talking to didn't say that would work. Thank you!!!

  7. Thanks maxthedog2000 thanked you for this post
    Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •