Thread: DC pump yay or nay!

Post Thanks / Like

DC pump yay or nay!

I need kind of a fast response found a pretty good deal for Black Friday for a Reef Octopus DC pump should I go ahead and get one or hold out are they worth it they look pretty cool

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a dc on my simmer and like for most part.... is the one u found a return?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Jebao DC pumps and they are good. I like DC pumps.
    Don't look here for a comment.

4. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I use Jebao DC pumps and they are good. I like DC pumps.
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vario...f-octopus.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I poped and got one!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you'll be happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you'll be happy.
    I think so. Now the question is do I want to put it on my setup now or hold off for the 60

Post Thanks / Like
    thought I should mention here, both Jaebo DC pumps I bought failed in less than a year of regular use. I'm a fan of DC pumps, but wouldn't buy another one of theirs ever again. If you've got your tanks monitored well I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but mine is in a display tank at the office, came back from a weekend to find the pump dead on Monday. (thankfully a freshwater, heavily planted tank) The other one failed where it wouldn't restart after any power loss unless you manually reached in and started the propeller spinning. (aka shut off to feed, doesn't come back)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    thought I should mention here, both Jaebo DC pumps I bought failed in less than a year of regular use. I'm a fan of DC pumps, but wouldn't buy another one of theirs ever again. If you've got your tanks monitored well I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but mine is in a display tank at the office, came back from a weekend to find the pump dead on Monday. (thankfully a freshwater, heavily planted tank) The other one failed where it wouldn't restart after any power loss unless you manually reached in and started the propeller spinning. (aka shut off to feed, doesn't come back)
    I dont trust any of the Jaebo products. you get what you pay for. Thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, I bought Jebao stuff after NOT getting what I paid for with Eco-tech products that failed miserably. But, at least when they worked, they wobbled, required adjustments, made a ton of noise, and cost 4-5 times more than a Jebao AND a backup Jebao. I say go with whatever works for you. I put money into an Apex and designed failsafes like using two return pumps instead of one (for less than the price of one high dollar one that could still fail at any time too). I'm running Neptune powerheads in the tank because of controllability now, with one Gyre. I have Jebao return pumps. 5 years and so far so good. And I have a spare for each one sitting on the shelf.
    Last edited by Joe; 11-28-2017 at 07:50 AM.

13. Likes Hydroid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, I bought Jebao stuff after NOT getting what I paid for with Eco-tech products that failed miserably. But, at least when they worked, they wobbled, required adjustments, made a ton of noise, and cost 4-5 times more than a Jebao AND a backup Jebao. I say go with whatever works for you. I put money into an Apex and designed failsafes like using two return pumps instead of one (for less than the price of one high dollar one that could still fail at any time too). I'm running Neptune powerheads in the tank because of controllability now, with one Gyre. I have Jebao return pumps. 5 years and so far so good. And I have a spare for each one sitting on the shelf.
    +1 all my jedao are just as old and so are my stored backups!

15. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running jebao return on my tank and haven’t had any problems

17. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the new pump installed today! All I have to say is Holy F@#$ it is supper quite. Like supper supper quite. Like there is no pump quite. Like my pump is dead quite. This thing is amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lsaint View Post
    I got the new pump installed today! All I have to say is Holy F@#$ it is supper quite. Like supper supper quite. Like there is no pump quite. Like my pump is dead quite. This thing is amazing!
    I love my DC pump for the same reason! Oh and it's a monster to meet my head space needs!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk