Thread: Are High Nutrients Really Bad...

Post Thanks / Like

Are High Nutrients Really Bad...

So I have had discussions with people about this alot and my opinion is no, not at all, well it depends......not every tank? This is becoming more and more of a discussion lately from what I have seen.

My level of nutrients is rediculous and shoud NOT be attempted, and I don't even want them like this. I have tried to get the nitrates more around 20 but I cannot keep them there unless I do 50%(70gal) WC per week, so I gave up a long time ago. My phos tipically runs close to 1.0 as well. As a side note I do harvest about 5 gal of chaeto every 3 weeks, and yes my nitrates are still this high! I do feed extremely heavy for having only 2 fish, but one is an 11" Naso and he eats about 3 or 4 full paper size sheets of nori every day. I do weekly WC of about 20% as well.

Parameters for reference:
    Alk- I try to maintain 10 dkh
    Cal- 420-450
    Mag-1400
    pH- 8.3-8.5 (kalk topoff)

Before anyone blames the test kit being wrong, it's not and I have tested it before on another kit, at an LFS, and even at work on a discrete analyzer and the results are accurate.

Here are the pics, the glass was cleaned exactly one week ago today, and my acros not looking so good is mainly because I have not been keeping stable alk until recently and they are now starting to grow and look better again. I want to repeat, I do NOT recommend this approach and it's more for DISCUSSION and ideas on why people have algae issues and others don't, I have my own thoughts on that.

NITRATES MUCH!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought is nothing is bad if your tank is happy. If the corals are growing and colored up, that is the biggest measure of success. I guess I would add if maintenance is a pain, then that is a factor too though. A balance between happy corals and manageable maintenance is a win.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up. I couldn't tell you what my nitrates test at right now. In the past, they have been low. What I have learned over the years is that the typical guidelines are just that; guidelines. Consistency is the key. My guess is that your trates and phates progressively grew that way, but stay consistent.

You polyp extension is the largest most of us have ever seen, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I am a huge fan of low nutrients, but I love macros. In order for my macros to survive I need nutrients. I don't test phates and trates unless I see a possible future problem based on coral reaction.

Last week I purchased all the required gear to start the new triton method.
    The triton method in a nutshell:
    -dose 4 types of specific nutrients with alkalinity serving as the control for the other three parts for trace elements
    -macros stripping unwanted nutrients
    -avoid water changes and mechanical filtration except for a skimmer

In theory, the new method will significantly reduce maintenance time and expenses for me (one water change costs me $45), which resorts back to what Joe said.

Consistency, livestock appearance and growth, and low maintenance will keep me in the hobby forever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Nice write up. I couldn't tell you what my nitrates test at right now. In the past, they have been low. What I have learned over the years is that the typical guidelines are just that; guidelines. Consistency is the key. My guess is that your trates and phates progressively grew that way, but stay consistent.

You polyp extension is the largest most of us have ever seen, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I am a huge fan of low nutrients, but I love macros. In order for my macros to survive I need nutrients. I don't test phates and trates unless I see a possible future problem based on coral reaction.

Last week I purchased all the required gear to start the new triton method.
    The triton method in a nutshell:
    -dose 4 types of specific nutrients with alkalinity serving as the control for the other three parts for trace elements
    -macros stripping unwanted nutrients
    -avoid water changes and mechanical filtration except for a skimmer

In theory, the new method will significantly reduce maintenance time and expenses for me (one water change costs me $45), which resorts back to what Joe said.

Consistency, livestock appearance and growth, and low maintenance will keep me in the hobby forever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Yea I don't want them were they are at but tripling the size of my system will help for sure. I just think back on how many people have a huge algae prob and they have 0 nutrients available when tested. Given, most of the nutrients are used up by the algae prob and show false negatives. I export tones of nutrients and still have really high residuals and no algae. This could be a ticking time bomb, but for the last year so far so good I guess. It would just be interesting know what some of the real triggers are for algae outbreaks.

The Triton method is interesting and I may look into doing the "other methods" version at some point. I just don't know how much money it will really save. Depending on your alk consumption you may burn through alot of supplements. You will have to start a thread for sure!

Kirby

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Did some research for you bro. I'll dive more into this later. Basically, there are some ideas floating around that your high dkh may be deterring nuisance algaes.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum.../t-710761.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Did some research for you bro. I'll dive more into this later. Basically, there are some ideas floating around that your high dkh may be deterring nuisance algaes.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum.../t-710761.html
    Yea I have heard that before as well. I know mag is also useful at higher levels, like 1500+,with certain algae too.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    So I have had discussions with people about this alot and my opinion is no, not at all, well it depends......not every tank? This is becoming more and more of a discussion lately from what I have seen.

My level of nutrients is rediculous and shoud NOT be attempted, and I don't even want them like this. I have tried to get the nitrates more around 20 but I cannot keep them there unless I do 50%(70gal) WC per week, so I gave up a long time ago. My phos tipically runs close to 1.0 as well. As a side note I do harvest about 5 gal of chaeto every 3 weeks, and yes my nitrates are still this high! I do feed extremely heavy for having only 2 fish, but one is an 11" Naso and he eats about 3 or 4 full paper size sheets of nori every day. I do weekly WC of about 20% as well.

Parameters for reference:
    Alk- I try to maintain 10 dkh
    Cal- 420-450
    Mag-1400
    pH- 8.3-8.5 (kalk topoff)

Before anyone blames the test kit being wrong, it's not and I have tested it before on another kit, at an LFS, and even at work on a discrete analyzer and the results are accurate.

Here are the pics, the glass was cleaned exactly one week ago today, and my acros not looking so good is mainly because I have not been keeping stable alk until recently and they are now starting to grow and look better again. I want to repeat, I do NOT recommend this approach and it's more for DISCUSSION and ideas on why people have algae issues and others don't, I have my own thoughts on that.

NITRATES MUCH!

When is your next chaeto harvest?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreat01 View Post
    When is your next chaeto harvest?

Probably a couple weeks. Be more than happy to give you some when I do.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Probably a couple weeks. Be more than happy to give you some when I do.

Thank you so much.