Thread: Solid or Flex Tubing

New User

Post Thanks / Like

Solid or Flex Tubing

I had intended to hard-plumb my returns, but I am finding that BRS does not carry schedule 80 bulkheads that slip-fit on the outside of the tank, only threaded. Given space constraints I would need a street 90 right out of the bulkhead. They do have thread x barb 90s that should meet my space constraints, but that would require plumping at least part of the return with flexible tubing.

What are the tradeoffs and what direction do people think I should jump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would never do anything other than hard pipe a return line.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

3. Likes Murfman liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Always hard plumb if possible. Set it and forget it. Flex hose does exactly that; flex. Do it right the first time and it will never need to be redone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that matches my thoughts. Now to figure out where to get slip/slip schedule 80 bulkheads...

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    One other related question. I have seen some suggestions that you plumb in a short section of flexible tubing right near the return pump. The reasoning being that this will help dampen vibrations from the return pump and minimize noise. Given that I will be running a DC return pump, should I run a short section of flex tubing (~6") or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Graz View Post
    One other related question. I have seen some suggestions that you plumb in a short section of flexible tubing right near the return pump. The reasoning being that this will help dampen vibrations from the return pump and minimize noise. Given that I will be running a DC return pump, should I run a short section of flex tubing (~6") or not?
    I'm assuming that it's a submersible pump? If so it should be fine because you are not attaching the pump to the bottom of the sump so the pump will be attached to the pipe but still moves independently of the sump and prob has rubber feet for vibration. You want to use flex anywhere that two points are anchored to different things and cannot move independently; external returns. You also want to use flex pvc tube, not just plain old vinyl tube so you can still glue in the connections.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    The new(or easier to find as of late) pvc based "flex hose" is called spa hose at the big box DIY stores.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    These new dc controllable pumps are pretty much silent and so I donít think flex is required as long as the pipe and fitting all line up straight, flex pvc does work good to allow some bend.

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com