Thread: Salt

Post Thanks / Like

Salt

Ok, so it's time to buy salt again. I used IO for a couple years with what I think are good results. I decided to try reef crystals last time...without a noticeable difference. My very subjective question is: does it really matter what salt you use? I realize some have slightly higher Mg , Ca, etc levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marcslove View Post
    Ok, so it's time to buy salt again. I used IO for a couple years with what I think are good results. I decided to try reef crystals last time...without a noticeable difference. My very subjective question is: does it really matter what salt you use? I realize some have slightly higher Mg , Ca, etc levels.
    Really it comes down to what salt most closely matches where you like your parameters. Most salts have quite different alk and mag levels in them. Alk levels are what most people try to base their salt on because it's the most important parameter to keep stable. Mag is also an important one because it takes a lot of mag to raise levels in a large tank. You can always alter these numbers in your makeup water to match what your tank is to keep things stable. It's always easier and more cost effective to dose your wc water up to where your tank is because it's a much smaller volume of water, but take this into account when deciding which salt you want.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228