Thread: Recommendations on a nano tank

New User

Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations on a nano tank

Hi everyone! Well, as I mentioned in my introduction, my wife is also bitten by the reef bug. So much so that she wants to try her hand first hand with something like a nano tank. Does anyone here want to offer some advice on what might be a good all in one system she can get? I'm open to suggestions. We looked at a BioCube, but I'm sure there are other similar tanks out there and that maybe some of you might have experience with them.

Thank you all in advance

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kpacheco8 View Post
    Hi everyone! Well, as I mentioned in my introduction, my wife is also bitten by the reef bug. So much so that she wants to try her hand first hand with something like a nano tank. Does anyone here want to offer some advice on what might be a good all in one system she can get? I'm open to suggestions. We looked at a BioCube, but I'm sure there are other similar tanks out there and that maybe some of you might have experience with them.

Thank you all in advance

Ken
    I personally wouldnt start with a nano for a beginner. the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep stable.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

3. Likes maxthedog2000 liked this post
    New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by notchback5.0 View Post
    I personally wouldnt start with a nano for a beginner. the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep stable.
    True, but maybe I should have clarified. I already have a 75 gallon saltwater tank up and running, and while I'm no where near an expert, I don't consider myself a beginner either. This tank is for my wife for her to over see, but I would be there with here making sure there are no huge errors in what she is doing. She just wants her own tank that she can put her personal touch with as far as corals and fish go.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kpacheco8 View Post

Thank you all in advance

Ken
    EcoPico 5 Gal. Beautiful and easy when setup. Hey, by chance I have one for $10 ;-)
    I'll give it to you free if you pickup the 75 gal I have with a chip in it and dump it in a dumpster for me.
    Text me at: 808-269-9602 and remind me who you are and what you'd like. Address is: 5255 Chimney Gulch Way, Colorado Springs, CO 80924.

EcoPico 5 Gal tank: $10
    Includes pump, heater, glass top and lighting power supply, splitter, switches, etc. LED's are burned out but can easily be replaced with ones from Amazon.
    https://goo.gl/mNX6n1
    Replacement lights: https://goo.gl/y95vrX

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    really? I might take you up on that. Let me show this to her and see if she wants it. We're in Pueblo, but could easily make that trip up there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested in the stocking plans for a 5gal. Are there any yet?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    I know she just wants a couple of fish (yet to be determined) and lots of soft and LPS stuff. Mostly beginner stuff, Duncans, Hammers, Torches, Palys, and maybe even some frog spawn. A 5 - 10 gallon tank might be just right for her.

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    for what its worth. I had a 6 gal fluval edge running for my first tank. I had a small maroon clown, yellow clown goby, watchman goby with pistol shrimp, serpintine starfish, and scooter blenny all housed in that little tank. Not to mention the snails, crabs, and a few bristle worms that came along from somewhere. it was honestly a really cool little tank as it sat right next to where i sat at night watching tv. they watched me and i watched them when the show was boring. keep up with the water changes and keep an eye on the parameters.

edit, oh yeah, made the mistake of adding a condalactus (sp?) nem as you can see from my avatar picture. he moved around a lot, but you can get by with a small nem with the right lighting.