Thread: DIY Aquarium controller

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Aquarium controller

Anyone toying with a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino for automation? I currently have an Arduino Mega doing my calcium and alkalinity dosing as well as controlling my ATO that is directly plumbed into the RO/DI. Im currently adding pH monitoring, dual temp probe monitoring, and setting it up to control my refugium lighting. It will eventually do data logging, host a local website with stats, and will email when specific activities occur like after power resumes, if pH or temp are outside normal parameters. Hoping I will be able to also program in wavemaker control. At the moment, I only have 4 AC outlets relay controlled by the Arduino but I will eventually add at least 4 more. Once I get everything inside a case looking pretty I will post pics. Just wondering if anyone else is toying with these.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it test your calk/alk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Check this out:
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/an...-ready.278352/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Does it test your calk/alk?

No. It dispenses the specified ml I enter in the programming at 2 different daily intervals I have specified. I still test it once a month to verify and make adjustments as needed.
    Last edited by notchback5.0; 08-21-2017 at 09:56 AM.
    Operation Silent Ocean

2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer

5. Likes ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by notchback5.0 View Post
    Anyone toying with a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino for automation? I currently have an Arduino Mega doing my calcium and alkalinity dosing as well as controlling my ATO that is directly plumbed into the RO/DI. Im currently adding pH monitoring, dual temp probe monitoring, and setting it up to control my refugium lighting. It will eventually do data logging, host a local website with stats, and will email when specific activities occur like after power resumes, if pH or temp are outside normal parameters. Hoping I will be able to also program in wavemaker control. At the moment, I only have 4 AC outlets relay controlled by the Arduino but I will eventually add at least 4 more. Once I get everything inside a case looking pretty I will post pics. Just wondering if anyone else is toying with these.
    I thought about trying but just don't have the time or know-how to make it happen right now. It looks like you've got a great start!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog2000 View Post
    I thought about trying but just don't have the time or know-how to make it happen right now. It looks like you've got a great start!

My system will basically be equivalent to an RKL with the cost coming in somewhere around 50$ for everything. Next step is getting a flow sensor working.
    Operation Silent Ocean

2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer

Post Thanks / Like
    My system will basically be equivalent to an RKL with the cost coming in somewhere around 50$ for everything. Next step is getting a flow sensor working.
    That 50$ calculation does not include any of your probes does it?

Post Thanks / Like
    That 50$ calculation does not include any of your probes does it?

Depends... if I use an analog PH module (which work fine they just require mechanical calibration same as most PH meters),the price is like 8$ including the probe. The temp probes were a couple bucks, the arduino was 9$, the ethernet shield was like 7. Im thinking of upgrading to a digital module which allows for software calibration but that module still supports standard ph probes... Im not sold on the expensive pH probes and based on my testing I see no advantage especially when you consider you can get anywhere from 8-10 ph probes for the price of an expensive one.
    Last edited by notchback5.0; 08-23-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Operation Silent Ocean

2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends... if I use an analog PH module (which work fine they just require mechanical calibration same as most PH meters),the price is like 8$ including the probe. The temp probes were a couple bucks, the arduino was 9$, the ethernet shield was like 7. Im thinking of upgrading to a digital module which allows for software calibration but that module still supports standard ph probes... Im not sold on the expensive pH probes and based on my testing I see no advantage especially when you consider you can get anywhere from 8-10 ph probes for the price of an expensive one.
    Well stated! I would be interested in seeing what you've got going on and if you're willing having you teach me a few things

Post Thanks / Like
    Well stated! I would be interested in seeing what you've got going on and if you're willing having you teach me a few things

I am not a coder so I have been learning as I go but its not difficult. It just requires a lot of reading and truthfully, being good at math helps because there are a lot of similarities between math and coding. I am having a friend help me when it comes to coding the GUI since that is a little outside of my understanding. He codes for a living but so far I havent had to ask him for any help. At the moment, I need to connect to the arduino with a pc to change any of the dosing settings or set the clock which is not the best way of doing things. Once the GUI is done i will only need to connect to it to add new/updated code.
    Operation Silent Ocean

2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer