Thread: Building Code Considerations for Fish Room?

Post Thanks / Like

Building Code Considerations for Fish Room?

Hey Guys,

I'm going to start finishing out my basement and a fish room with an in-wall reef tank in a month or so. For those of you that have experience with this, do you have to get any variances or do anything special to get this approved by the local building department? Any special design considerations needed?

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    A fish room will not require any additional permits. It is how you set up your room that will catch the inspectors eye. Ensure all outlets are GFI, that drain lines are at correct slope and exhaust fans are correct for your home.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I mean technically adding fans and more outlets which is always needed and tying into plumbing would require a permit but nobody is going to do that, regional would consider it a wet location I believe and would just mean like jj said use gfi and tie into water and sewer properly which any plumber could do to code without pulling the permit

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karlinkelly View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm going to start finishing out my basement and a fish room with an in-wall reef tank in a month or so. For those of you that have experience with this, do you have to get any variances or do anything special to get this approved by the local building department? Any special design considerations needed?
    Just FYI -- my fish room ran on average about 80% humidity and it caused rust issues on any tool I left in there. You're going to want to find a way to turn that into a whole-house humidifier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice. Since I'm permitting the whole basement anyway, I would like to do it all at once and to code. I'd like to build the aquarium support into the structure of the wall so I can have it flush with the front, but am unsure how that looks to an inspector. If the aquarium support is not physically attached (other than with drywall) to the floating frame walls, is it considered a doorway? I'm concerned about the requirement to have outlets no further than 6' from a door or no further than 12' between them as I don't want to run them under the aquarium.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had that issue with my inwall he wanted the receps under the tank very 6' but I explained why and he said it was fine so it's something you would work with the inspector on. I finished my basement and included the 2 mech rooms for the 600 and they signed off on it all wasn't a real big deal but year venting or getting rid of hunidity is a must before I put in a big exhaust fan it felt like I was living in key west was so miserably humid in the house lol

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com

Post Thanks / Like
    you can also call pikes peak regional building. they will tell you what you will need to do or if you even need a permit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I hope I get a friendly inspector

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by karlinkelly View Post
    Thanks guys. I hope I get a friendly inspector
    Let us all know what you find out please

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthedog2000 View Post
    Let us all know what you find out please

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk