Thread: VPN Assistance

Registered User ShakingHorizons's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like

VPN Assistance

Looking for someone that has VPN experience. I have a subscription to Windscribe Pro and need assistance setting it up.

Thanks in advance!
    "An aquarium is a hole between sheets of glass that the aquarist fills with money."

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you stuck? Typically you'll get a user/pass, and they should have a set of instructions based on your OS/version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    Where are you stuck? Typically you'll get a user/pass, and they should have a set of instructions based on your OS/version.
    I have it installed on my computers/tablets/phones, but I would really like to just put it on my router so that everything is filtered (mainly my firetv).
    "An aquarium is a hole between sheets of glass that the aquarist fills with money."

Post Thanks / Like
    what make/model of router is it? Are you willing to purchase new network hardware if needed? Some routers support hardware VPN settings, but most consumer ones don't. (unless you're flashing the BIOS with something opensource, then typically VPN stuff has been added in.)

Post Thanks / Like
    what make/model of router is it? Are you willing to purchase new network hardware if needed? Some routers support hardware VPN settings, but most consumer ones don't. (unless you're flashing the BIOS with something opensource, then typically VPN stuff has been added in.)
    It's a Xfinity branded router/modem so I doubt I modify the VPN settings. I'm not opposed to purchasing new hardware, but would need a modem and router. I see that windscribe sells pre-configured routers, but can't see spending an extra $200 for plug & play.
    Last edited by ShakingHorizons; 08-01-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out something like this then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsYZ8JgRaI

You're going to be dropping $150 on the hardware either way, that's just entry level price for decent network gear. If the entire product they sell is $200 total, that's probably $50 to have someone else set it up ahead of time for you. (if it's $350, then yeah, I'd do it myself. For $50 the peace of mind knowing it's working well would be hard to argue with.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out something like this then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsYZ8JgRaI

You're going to be dropping $150 on the hardware either way, that's just entry level price for decent network gear. If the entire product they sell is $200 total, that's probably $50 to have someone else set it up ahead of time for you. (if it's $350, then yeah, I'd do it myself. For $50 the peace of mind knowing it's working well would be hard to argue with.)
    They are selling the Linksys 1200AC for $249 - it's around $70 retail.

Post Thanks / Like
    HA! Then I think you're better off buying a decent piece of hardware, and doing the install yourself. Once you decide on which hardware you'd like to go with, there are likely step by step instructions on how to set them up. The hardware they're using in that youtube video is decent, and you would notice a marked improvement over the $70 1200AC. (IMO)

Post Thanks / Like
    HA! Then I think you're better off buying a decent piece of hardware, and doing the install yourself. Once you decide on which hardware you'd like to go with, there are likely step by step instructions on how to set them up. The hardware they're using in that youtube video is decent, and you would notice a marked improvement over the $70 1200AC. (IMO)
    Windscribe has some tutorials for downloading their VPN on to routers, so I should be covered in that regard.

Any suggestions on Modem and Router? Staying under $350 would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything in the $150 range should be fine. I've had excellent luck in the past with Buffalo's hardware.

Option Four: Buy a Pre-Flashed Router

If you want the power of DD-WRT but you’re really uncomfortable doing the ROM flashing process yourself there are two alternatives. First, the Buffalo network and storage company has a line of routers that actually use DD-WRT right out of the box. Routers in the AirStation line now ship with DD-WRT as the “stock” firmware, including the AirStation AC 1750.

Short of flashing your own router, purchasing a Buffalo router that ships with DD-WRT is your safest bet and doesn’t void any warranties because it ships with the firmware already on.
    I'd go that route if it were for myself.

For example, this one is under $100, had DD-WRT right out of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-AirSt...buffalo+dd-wrt