Thread: Simplicity 120DC

Post Thanks / Like

Simplicity 120DC

Thought I would give a review of this skimmer. Ive now had it up and running for about 4-5 months. I have it in 9 inches of water (7-9 recommended), the air and water level adjustments are set as recommended by the manufacturer which is basically maximum open. For the first week, the pump seemed to make a fair amount of noise but after break-in it works exactly as it should and is really quiet compared to the skimmers I have owned in the past. The speed adjustable DC pump was what got me interested but what sold me was the collection cup locking mechanism. The design makes it pretty easy to get off and it doesn't seem to stick. On other skimmers I was considering that was a constant complaint. I have it doing a dry skim and every few days there is a 1-2 inch layer of dark brown crap inside the cup that needs to be cleaned. I have set it to skim wet as well by turning the adjustment knob a little and it works well in both scenarios. I just prefer to skim on the dry side to avoid nutrient export as much as possible. If youre looking for a new skimmer for a tank 60-120gal, check it out
    Last edited by notchback5.0; 04-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

Post Thanks / Like
    There pretty cheap compared to other skimmers to. I was looking at them when they first came out.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont understand why they arent more popular.. They are comparable to Skimz, they use the same pump and controller but they have a better locking mechanism for the collection cup.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump