Thread: 29 Gallon Sump

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like

29 Gallon Sump

I am getting ready to put together a 29 gallon sump. Anyone that knows me knows I AM NOT HANDY. With that being said what are my options?

Wants in sump
    30lbs live rock
    Chaeto
    Maybe Skimmer

Do I need chambers? Could I just put the tank under and accomplish this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Something's to think about if you just put the tank under the stand without baffles or chambers. Micro bubbles getting blown into your display tank, the possibility of Chaeto getting sucked into your return pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweat044 View Post
    Anyone that knows me knows I AM NOT HANDY. With that being said what are my options?
    I would say you are screwed.
    Don't look here for a comment.

4. Likes charleshardy5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely need chambers, I'd try for the biggest that you can fit in your space. Lowes and Home Depot sell acrylic sheets- cut them to fit and silicone the stuff. Make sure that you use silicone without the mold resistance- fish shops in town sell the silicone too. Baffles will also help keep water level in your skimmer chamber consistent height so that the skimmer doesn't go crazy on you when your water level changes

Post Thanks / Like
    Just kidding. you can easily add the baffles yourself, and they don't need to be thick since they won't be holding back a lot of water weight. it's really pretty straightforward, and you can just replicate the baffle layout from any of the commercial sumps out there.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baffling a 29 is extremely easy. I have a 29g as my sump under my 65g. I will be using the same sump when i replace my 65 with an 84g. Space the baffles 1.25 inches apart to slow the water speed down inside the baffles to reduce the pull of the micro bubbles from chamber to chamber. My baffles are made of 1/4 inch glass and the sump starting depth is about 12 inches and drops to about 10.5 inches in the final chamber I have a skimmer, sock filter, large return pump, ATO and huge chaeto/liverock chamber. You should be able to fit everything you need in there.
    Last edited by notchback5.0; 02-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Operation Silent Ocean

65g Tall display w/internal coast to coast bean/durso overflow
    2 x AI Hydra 26 HD
    2 x PP-4 wavemakers (too small)
    29g Refugium
    Simplicity 120DC Skimmer
    Jeabo DCS-9000 return pump

Master of the Universe

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. Sounds real easy. LOL I might try this as though it seems like it is a nice sump/fuge.
    Quote Originally Posted by notchback5.0 View Post
    Baffling a 29 is extremely easy. I have a 29g as my sump under my 65g. I will be using the same sump when i replace my 65 with an 84g. Space the baffles 1.25 inches apart to slow the water speed down inside the baffles to reduce the pull of the micro bubbles from chamber to chamber. My baffles are made of 1/4 inch glass and the sump starting depth is about 12 inches and drops to about 10.5 inches in the final chamber I have a skimmer, sock filter, large return pump, ATO and huge chaeto/liverock chamber. You should be able to fit everything you need in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my sump with glass panels from Lowe's super easy, I have a scoring blade if you need to borrow it to cut any glass to fit... My problem now is should I add a second set of baffles to separate my return pump and other equipment

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a 29 gallon dump with glass from lowes it was my first diy sump. When I made my 60 gallon sump I found I could get custom cut and thicker glass from city glass cheaper then the glass from lowes. That was a few years ago so don't know how prices are now