Thread: Anyone have different macro algaes ?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have different macro algaes ?

I have some dragons breath and chaeto would like to get some different macros anyone have others willing to trade???
    Charter member of SCMAS

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this growing in my tank, no idea what it is but it looks nice, grows pretty slowly (this is about 2 months of growth) and so far has been left alone by the tank inhabitants. Would love a positive ID from someone who knows more about the subject matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Caulerpa to me. There are at least three different forms. I have the version that has splits in the leaves, yours is the flat prolifera version? There is a grape version with little nodules that can go asexual and reproduce like crazy. I would avoid the grape version.

It looks like this is in your display. I would keep it in the sump, but not the display. Also looks like you might have some other algae on that rock - could be bryopsis. If it is, you should strongly consider pulling that rock and removing it manually if you can.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    could be bryopsis. If it is, you should strongly consider pulling that rock and removing it manually if you can.
    I'm going to try my freshwater algae killer of choice in there this weekend. (turn off all pumps, inject hydrogen peroxide right next to the algae)

looks like it can work in a reef system, I just need to be careful of the residents.

I've been trying to pluck/remove it and it comes back after a few weeks. I haven't had the heart to scrub it with a wire brush, little critters and sponges would get wiped out with it.

if it goes horribly wrong i'll share.

5. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Plants look nice though, I bet some would take them for a display fuge or something

Post Thanks / Like
    Careful with peroxide it's a really strong oxidizer, it doesn't take much to harm livestock. I know zoas don't react favorably to it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    I've peroxide dipped zoas before, I believe Lps and SPS are what you should avoid peroxide dipping

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charleshardy5 View Post
    I've peroxide dipped zoas before, I believe Lps and SPS are what you should avoid peroxide dipping

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Dipping I agree, but from the sound of its going to all end up in the water column. It can be dosed in a tank for general algae control in some cases but it can easily be overdosed if your not careful or add too much at once.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to be applying it directly with a hypodermic needle, which should help, and I'll be using less than the 1ml / 10g that is recommended, so whatever doesn't oxidize the algae almost immediately shouldn't be enough to screw with the rest of the tank. However, if I'm wrong I'll let everyone know.

I'm also going to try the hypodermic needle/h2o2 for some bubble algae tucked into crevices where I can't suck it out. I'm thinking injecting hydrogen peroxide into the bubble should nuke the spores, or at least cause less spread than trying to get the bubble out of the rock and inadvertently popping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esmith View Post
    I'm going to be applying it directly with a hypodermic needle, which should help, and I'll be using less than the 1ml / 10g that is recommended, so whatever doesn't oxidize the algae almost immediately shouldn't be enough to screw with the rest of the tank. However, if I'm wrong I'll let everyone know.

I'm also going to try the hypodermic needle/h2o2 for some bubble algae tucked into crevices where I can't suck it out. I'm thinking injecting hydrogen peroxide into the bubble should nuke the spores, or at least cause less spread than trying to get the bubble out of the rock and inadvertently popping it.
    Yep works great for bubble algae! Sodium hydroxide is also very effective.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    In the tank? I would think that would be way too caustic.

laser works great on bubble algae, but not hair or bryopsis.
    Oh yea, can't do much at one time but works well. Laser is problematic cause you don't want to pop them. That's why injecting works well.

Kirby