Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: KIRBLIT'S 300 Reef

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the stand will be here on Friday so I'll post some pics after I get it in the room. Sounds like the tank is still a couple weeks out, but I'm getting closer. It's going to be a shame having that thing sit around for 6 months while I get everything ready to go building sumps, stands, and cycling rock!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

2. Likes Murfman , ddwmedic liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    WATER!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

New User

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read up on your thread. This is exciting, can't wait to see it come together!! Let me know if you need any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Darilek View Post
    Just read up on your thread. This is exciting, can't wait to see it come together!! Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks. I will let you know, I may need help moving the tank when it shows up. I'm going to need about 10 total so I may need some club assistance. Only problem is I'm up in Elizabeth so we will see who I will be able to get.

Kirby

6. Likes Ryan_Darilek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Thanks. I will let you know, I may need help moving the tank when it shows up. I'm going to need about 10 total so I may need some club assistance. Only problem is I'm up in Elizabeth so we will see who I will be able to get.

If you supply some corona I'm down to make the drive

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchestercity View Post
    If you supply some corona I'm down to make the drive

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that if I need a hand. Are you sure you don't want some good beer though 😁

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be willing to help, let us know when ya get a date...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the offer, I will let everyone know when it will be here and see how many people I can wrangle up here to help and then I will beg for assistance if needed.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    You still got those solar flares going strong?

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes sir I do. I have 4 colonies that are about 4 inches across when they are all out.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Following along on this one. We are buying a new house at the end of the month and the plan is to put a largish tank in the dinning room. I've always wanted to do an in wall tank like this one, so looking forward to seeing yours come together. The one thing the house did not have that I wanted was a fish room behind where the tank would be.... but the attached 3 car garage is right behind it and the wife has signed off on converting one of the parking spaces into the fish room. It means I'll have to park my Jeep in the detached 3 car, but at least I can have a fish room of some type!

So, when you need help moving that tank, let me know. I'd love to help and checkout how you have done somethings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Following along on this one. We are buying a new house at the end of the month and the plan is to put a largish tank in the dinning room. I've always wanted to do an in wall tank like this one, so looking forward to seeing yours come together. The one thing the house did not have that I wanted was a fish room behind where the tank would be.... but the attached 3 car garage is right behind it and the wife has signed off on converting one of the parking spaces into the fish room. It means I'll have to park my Jeep in the detached 3 car, but at least I can have a fish room of some type!

So, when you need help moving that tank, let me know. I'd love to help and checkout how you have done somethings.
    Thanks for the offer to help, I will let you know if I need help. Hopefully the tank will be done in a couple weeks. Planet was having trouble getting starphire glass from their supplier. If you have any questions I would be more than willing to help answer them. I tried to think through the challenges of having a fish room and in wall tank through my design process. I guess I won't truly know how I did until it's up and running, but I'm pretty confident it will work well.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    The fund for our larger tank will not be available for a while, so yours should be up and running for a while before I was to start mine. My biggest concern about doing an in wall at my location is the amount of room it will take up in the fish room. I think my fish room is going to have to be long and narrow (9x15 or so).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully it will be running soon... I'm guessing 3 or 4 months atleast, I have alot to do even after I get the tank. That's close to the dimensions of my room as well, mine is 11x15. More space is always better no matter what the size of room. It's the wall space that's always at a real premium though!

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm officially done finishing all the trim and doors now, 2.5 months and about 200hrs later. Everything turned out good.

Now I can do some fish room stuff while I wait for the tank. After the tank shows up its on to tile work, I don't want to roll that beast over the tile if I can avoid it.

Kirby

18. Likes ddwmedic, TheGreat01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that stain color, that man cave is going to look really good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I need to make sure we want to be down there alot so the tank doesn't get neglected. I see alot of people do in wall tanks in basements and then they never spend time down there and their tank falls apart.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I really want a tank in the living/family room where we can just chill out on the couch and watch the tank or TV. But that would have been in the current basement and while I am down there quite a bit, friends and family are not. So the wife wanted the current tank in the dining area.

At the new place, the bigger tank will again be in the dining area...

That hutch is from the current owners, we will not have anything there until the tank goes in. That photo was taken for the entry way into the house from the front door, so it will be in full site all the time. Right on the other side of that wall is the left hand most parking spot of the garage...

My plan is to convert that parking spot into the fish room. I'll need to fame it in, insulate it and tie it into the house HVAC system as well. I'm thinking about stopping the fish room about 4 feet from the main garage door, and putting one of those smaller (6'x7') garage doors on the end of it. That would make moving a large tank/sump in and out much easier. Back the truck up, open both garage doors and walk it right onto the stand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it would be a sweet spot to have the tank. One thing to think about with the HVAC in the fish room though; only add supply air to that room and don't have a direct return vent to the furnace. I have heard horror stories about ductwork and fans rusting out from the moisture. I would do a passive return vent out of the room somewhere if possible to keep the humidity in the winter time. And have exhaust fans and an air intake from outside, or better yet an energy HRV fan if you can so that you can keep the heat or cool and dump the moisture. They are spendy but I have heard good things though.

Last edited by Kirblit; 09-20-2017 at 08:09 AM.
    Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had to replace my furnace motor twice in 20 years so idk man I have a 600g I wall that shares the same mech room as the furnace. I will say the copper water line comin in is all turquoise lol totally green

Reefkoi Corals Retail Store

3945 N Academy Blvd Unit E
    Colorado Springs, CO 80917

www.reefkoicorals.com