Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 319

Thread: KIRBLIT'S 300 Reef

  1. #281
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    First FTS with the tank online! These are only the led and one set of t5. I had a couple minor leaks where unions were not quite tight, and I did discover a pretty dumb plumbing flaw... More on that tomorrow. Overall I'm extremely happy with my overflow design and my calculations for flow rates, drains ect seem to have been correct to easily push 50+gpm through the overflow. I will finish up the wiring tomorrow and start adding salt, so happy this is finally going. I will add more pics tomorrow too.

    These are 2.5" holes for reference on the flows.


    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  2. #282
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a lot of moving water! I'm interested in hearing what the plumbing flaw is.

    I might have missed it, but what are you doing with your other tank once everything is transferred over to the new one?

  3. #283
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow so sweet!
    Congrats man...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #284
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't get much done today with playing around on apex fusion trying to learn the ropes lol. Taking forever to heat up too.... May need another 500w heater for an even 2000w.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    That's a lot of moving water! I'm interested in hearing what the plumbing flaw is.

    I might have missed it, but what are you doing with your other tank once everything is transferred over to the new one?
    I don't know yet for sure. I'm definitely taking it down, but the wife may turn it into a dart frog setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Wow so sweet!
    Congrats man...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks!



    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  5. #285
    Registered User

    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great. I have a new 800watt heater if you want it. Excited to see how this build comes together in the end. Good work.

  6. #286
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FunFishin24 View Post
    Looking great. I have a new 800watt heater if you want it. Excited to see how this build comes together in the end. Good work.
    Thanks! I'm trying to stay with 500w or less to be safe in case they don't shutdown and less amp draw on each one so I can spread the circuits around. Good news is it seems to be stable now around 78 on just one 500w heater running constantly for the most part. Makes me feel better about what my power bill will go up. I had over 2000w running for about a day straight with just 3 heaters and my return pump lol.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  7. #287
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Thanks! I'm trying to stay with 500w or less to be safe in case they don't shutdown and less amp draw on each one so I can spread the circuits around. Good news is it seems to be stable now around 78 on just one 500w heater running constantly for the most part. Makes me feel better about what my power bill will go up. I had over 2000w running for about a day straight with just 3 heaters and my return pump lol.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure if you know this, but you can program your Apex to give you a pretty good ball park figure on what your system is costing you in power to run. It does not handle the peak and off peak rates, but if you average them out you can plug that in and get pretty close.

  8. #288
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'm not sure if you know this, but you can program your Apex to give you a pretty good ball park figure on what your system is costing you in power to run. It does not handle the peak and off peak rates, but if you average them out you can plug that in and get pretty close.
    Yes I saw that it will track some stuff on there like that. Is it just the new EB832 that will track it though? I have an EB4 with 2 heaters hooked to a Ranco as a backup and the other heater is on a new EB832.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  9. #289
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure if the EB4 can do it or not (I started with the EB832). In Fusion, click on the Settings gear for the EB4 in the upper right of it's dashboard. IF it can do it, that is where you would set it up at.

  10. #290
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'm not sure if the EB4 can do it or not (I started with the EB832). In Fusion, click on the Settings gear for the EB4 in the upper right of it's dashboard. IF it can do it, that is where you would set it up at.
    It looks like it won't show wattage on the original EB's and just amps. I could convert them over and make some calcs to figure it out. Im estimating my power bill to double or so with the new tank, so we will see.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  11. #291
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think your entire power bill will double, or the power consumed by the new tank is going to be double the old tank's consumption?

  12. #292
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Double my entire bill.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  13. #293
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Double my entire bill.
    Dang! I would think that your heaters would not have to run quite as much as they would on a smaller tank once it gets up to temp. 300g is a lot of thermal mass. Will you have the new pump and skimmer on the EB832? I'd be interested in seeing how much power they consume.

  14. #294
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Dang! I would think that your heaters would not have to run quite as much as they would on a smaller tank once it gets up to temp. 300g is a lot of thermal mass. Will you have the new pump and skimmer on the EB832? I'd be interested in seeing how much power they consume.
    Total system volume is about 500-530, looks like 800w of heat running constantly keeps up. Of course this will go down a bit with all the halides running during the day. Return pump is 450w currently and the skimmer pump is 130w.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  15. #295
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the numbers. It is funny comparing your 800w of heaters to my 75w. I have two, but one only kicks in if the temp drops below the the turn on temp of the first one. And that only happens a couple of times a night.

    I think rocks and sand should also add to the thermal mass and make your heaters run less.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #296
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    I finally got the 250lbs of rock I had curing for the last 8 months into my tank and the frag tank. I still need to get it all stacked up the way I want it though. I'm going to keep the tank pretty open for corals to grow and fish to swim in with caves ect. . I'll end up putting a bunch of rock in my sump so I have plenty for filtration.



    I also got all the switches wired up for the apex so I can easily turn things on and off when needed. I'm going to make some for equipment and then some for maintenance, emergency generator, stand lights, ect. I used cat 6 cable and connected all of the grounds for the switches so I only had to run 2 cables for all 12 switches.






    Exhaust and recirc fan setup is working well too. I have them dialed in and the fish room is staying around 45-55% humidity and my house is staying around 40-45% too so I'm happy with it so far.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kirblit; 03-31-2019 at 03:40 PM.
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  17. #297
    Registered User Oberst Hajj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking better by the week man. That is quite the break out panel you have there. We could probably do some sweet little labels for those switches with the laser.

  18. #298
    Senior Member Kirblit's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got my aquascape done and left room for my current arch in my tank that will go in as well. The rocks on the side don't have a home yet and may end up in the sump for now.




    And then 4 hours later and 200lbs of sand and it's looking more like a tank. Still super cloudy from the sand though.




    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

    My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

  19. #299
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    292
    Post Thanks / Like
    So exciting!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #300
    SCMAS President

    hooked's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Posts
    7,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I bet it feels even better to be at this point of the game.
    Doyle

    "It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."



    90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.


    Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •