Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: KIRBLIT'S 300 Reef

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Looks great. I bet it feels even better to be at this point of the game.
    Thanks, yes it does! It's so close now... But still a few weeks before everything is transferred over. Trying to qt enough snails for what I need is proving difficult to say the least and I'm going to need them with all that nice bright new rock in there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really almost a thing now! Looks great!
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joe, it's getting close for sure. Can't wait to get everything moved over so I can get my carpet in the basement and be done. I still have tons of programming and little stuff to do but I can take my time with most of it. Next big hurdle will be getting a calcium reactor going again.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Thanks, yes it does! It's so close now... But still a few weeks before everything is transferred over. Trying to qt enough snails for what I need is proving difficult to say the least and I'm going to need them with all that nice bright new rock in there.

The tank is looking good. What is your QT process for snails?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    The tank is looking good. What is your QT process for snails?
    Qt for 76 days (45 min) to eliminate the chance of ich or velvet getting I'm my dt from corals or inverts. I have a separate tank for corals and inverts that I have setup all the time. I quarantine everything before I put it in my tank.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my pair of clown fish (only fish I have right now) directly from the breeder after picking them out of his entire stock and drove them home. So while they had the ultimate QT, I've only ever dipped my corals, never QT them or my clean up crew before. I can and plan on setting up a QT tank when I add some more fish, but I just don't have a spot for a full time coral/CUC QT.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my pair of clown fish (only fish I have right now) directly from the breeder after picking them out of his entire stock and drove them home. So while they had the ultimate QT, I've only ever dipped my corals, never QT them or my clean up crew before. I can and plan on setting up a QT tank when I add some more fish, but I just don't have a spot for a full time coral/CUC QT.
    I would have still qt the fish if it was me, but that's me. It's all about how much risk you are willing to accept when deciding whether or not to qt. I treat all fish prophylacticly in a qt prior to adding them to my DT because not all diseases will have outward signs (flukes, ick, internal parasites, ect) . Dipping corals is a good start to hopefully keep coral nasties from tagging along that could harm other corals, but it won't kill the eggs of most coral nasties. It's good practice to remove corals from the plug they come on for this reason and will mitigate even more risk, but doesn't take care of possible fish parasites that come on the coral itself. I understand that most people won't take the time to qt all corals and inverts like me, but this is the only sure way to keep a 100% disease free display.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious why you would have QT'd the clown fish taken directly from the breeder's system? Since they were never in contact with any outside source of infection, what would the QT have accomplished (they are the only fish we had/have)?

I personally would prefer to QT corals and CUC, I just don't have the ability to right now. A full time QT and frag grow out tank will be on the the list for when I do my 300g in wall... but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious why you would have QT'd the clown fish taken directly from the breeder's system? Since they were never in contact with any outside source of infection, what would the QT have accomplished (they are the only fish we had/have)?

I personally would prefer to QT corals and CUC, I just don't have the ability to right now. A full time QT and frag grow out tank will be on the the list for when I do my 300g in wall... but I'm not sure when that will happen.
    Manely because it's me, and I'm overly cautious after some issues I've had in the past. The other reason is clownfish in particular are very good carriers for ich as an example. They have a thick mucous coat and are very hardy so they can stay relatively unharmed and may show no outward signs of any issues. I didn't see where you got them from and I'm just making assumptions, but I assume they have snails tied into the system somewhere at some point, other fish in nearby tanks ect? Do they QT all other livestock, treat prophelactically, ect? If one of those tanks had something in it, then a wet hand transferred between tanks, equipment used for maintenance, drop of water, ect, could transfer a tomite and infect the fish. You may or may not see any outward symptoms because the gills are a preffered location and it would be out of sight. Some fish can tolerate more than others and do just fine. Fast forward to when you add another fish that is more sensitive, and the beginnings of an outbreak take shape. Once it's in a tank it's there until you remove all fish for 76 days from your reef and treat all of them in a hospital system. This isn't much fun and I have done it twice in my past. The first started because I was maintaining another person's tank that I new haf ich and used the same siphon for mine later that day. A minor lapse in judgment or forgetting something is all it takes, you must be vigilent.

I'm not trying to freak you out by any means, you are probobly perfectly fine and shouldn't worry. Like I said, I'm overly cautious and it's all about what amount of risk you are willing to take in the end. I don't think down on people who don't QT by any means and I know not everyone has the luxury of doing it. Even what I do doesn't mean I couldn't miss something or make a mistake that could cause me an issue either. I just do everything I can to minimize the risk to the maximum extent.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I got them from Alpha Aquatics. They only breed designer clowns and there was no other saltwater fish in there warehouse (they had a large tank of gold fish up in the office/waiting room area. The tanks were all bare bottom breeding and grow out tanks. I saw no sails anywhere. I'm not worried about my clowns as we have had them for going on 3 years now this summer and they are still doing great.

I do plan on ordering some ORA captive bred fish here in the next couple of weeks. I'll setup a small QT for them and treat only if symptoms show up. I talked with them about their captive bred fish and they never come in contact with wild fish or water, so I feel an observation QT of 30-45 days should be fine. I don't like stressing the fish out with chemicals if they are not needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you are probobly fine then and have nothing to worry about. I'm just overly cautious about it and that's why I do what I do.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    This morning I decided to frag up some of my Gonioporas lol. I can't wait to get my fish over and move things to the frag tank, takes up half my tank.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    That's going to be a lot of Goni's!

Post Thanks / Like
    116 frags and I only cut up half of the mother colonies.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    116 frags and I only cut up half of the mother colonies.

Wow!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I want a piece!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's some fine fragging work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG View Post
    I want a piece!
    I will bring you one at the meeting.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update pictures, don't mind the salt on the front glass lol. I have entered the ugly diatoms stage and added a bunch of dwarf cerith snails, a few astrea, and a couple hermits to keep it under control. Skimmer is kickin some real butt though. I can't believe there is much to pull out in there yet, but it's finding it for sure

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!