Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: KIRBLIT'S 300 Reef

Post Thanks / Like
    So I got my PAR meter in today and after a couple quick checks I need to make some adjustments like I thought. My current DT gets about 150 on the sanded and my new tank with all lights on gets about 330. I will need to plat around with some different lighting schemes and durations so I don't bleach everything out. SPS was thriving on the sand so I knew I had a problem for sure. I'm pushing 600 about 4" underwater right now which is pretty rediculous even for SPS, but maybe I could actually do some sweet yellow Acro and keep them that way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    You should do a build thread on you're control board alone. It's very nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dane View Post
    You should do a build thread on you're control board alone. It's very nice
    Thanks,but It's really pretty basic. There are some really cool and complicated ones out there that are pretty sweet.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I would share that I moved my fish and most corals over 2 weeks ago. My naso is much happier and was actually well behaved when I had to catch him (he's been eying the tank across the room for months lol). I didn't move all corals as my nutrients are too low and my lights are very bright so I'm still tuning things in so I don't risk everything. Coralline algae is starting to grow everywhere and I never really had a bad ugly phase at all, haven't cleaned the glass at all so snails have food. Here's a quick FTS.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see some progress!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Keith, it's getting very close to being done now. Just have to get lights on the frag tank and some more phosphate in the new system and then I should be good to go.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you add phosphate or try to get it naturally from food and fish waste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Will you add phosphate or try to get it naturally from food and fish waste?

I'll let the fish do it hopefully. I have been feeding my frozen pretty heavy and now that my naso is in there it will help too with 2 full sheets of nori a day.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little update on the tank. Everything is going well, however, I have been having alk issues and my consumption is much higher than I was ready for this early. I have suspicions that the largest usage is the snails because they are growing at a rediculous rate. I have about 500 dwarf cerith, 80 normal cerith, and 2 dozen astrea. The astrea have huge white sections of new growth and most have only been in there for about a month and the cereths seem to be growing well too because they started off very small. There is also a fair bit of coraline popping up as well now but I think the snails are the main consumers of alk and Ca right now.

My current consumption is about 3-3.5 dkh per day and I moved my kalk reactor over for all topoff (roughly 4gal a day) to help out. Even with the kalk, which adds about 1 dkh or so I have been adding 2 dkh manually and about 15-20 Ca a day to keep steady. Needless to say the CaRx is getting setup this weekend cause it's getting old dosing all the time. I had no idea I would need the CaRx this soon for sure. I don't think it's precipitating because sand isn't concrete and alk and Ca are being used proportionately so I'm not having an issue keeping them steady, but it has been a struggle to keep alk above 7 for sure.

Hopefully the reactor will help out and get things steady, these swings are scary hard to keep up with and have really taken me by surprise. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Kirblit; 08-14-2019 at 07:19 AM.
    Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you will get it sorted out Kirby. The help you gave me with my Alk and Cal issues was very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Keith. Yea I will get the reactor going and I'm sure I'll be good, just took me by surprise for sure.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the Geo 612 hooked up a week and a half ago and it just hasn't been cutting it by itself. It's way undersized for my system and I can't get enough detention time to saturate the solution enough to keep up without manually dosing. I have neen only able to run about 100 ml/min through without the effluent alk dropping below 20 and it still won't keep up. Enter my other calcium reactor now turned secondary chamber for greater detention time. I got them both temporarily in before I find a permanent home for them.

Long term I think I will be getting the Geo 818 or possibly the commercial reactor depending on how much improve t I get with this setup. I'm still dumbfounded with the level of demand this early on.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Look great. I'm planning on setting up a calcium reactor for mine sometime this month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever had one before? I know for me kalk and a Ca reactor is the only way to go from past experience. I just think there are too many drawbacks with 2 part and there is only the upfront cost on a reactor. Which one are you going to run?

I finally just got it dialed in to keep up on Sunday. I'm really torn on what size I should get when I buy the bigger one because of my current demand at low stocking levels. I'm really leaning towards the commercial one because of my stocking plans and i would rater have too much than not enough. What kind of demand for alk do you have on your tank? I'm trying to gauge other people's numbers to get a better idea of where I may end up long term. I know when my reef was rocking back in the day growing like crazy I think I got up to somewhere around 8 dkh a day getting used up.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this. This is my first one. My alk demand is about 500ml per day.