Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydroid’s 300

Post Thanks / Like

Hydroid’s 300

Time to start a build thread! Here is a little back story. I have kind of a unique situation, I own a duplex and we live in one side while the other side is storage and my workshop. My living room has a very large wall shared with the other side and I have always thought it would be the perfect place for a large in wall aquarium. Now I actually have the opportunity to make it happen, I honestly never thought it would, but this build will take some time unless my motorcycle sells. My current system is a 125 with a 55 sump so this is a big upgrade for me!

Here’s the tanks after the move. Thanks again to Murfman, HBL and Ddwmedic for their help in the move this tank is heavy! Time to start stripping the wall and modify to stand to fit my needs
    Crazy to think my new sump is the size of my current DT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Stripping the wall on the equipment side. I was chomping at the bit to do this since I had made plans to buy the tank but thought it would be best to make sure it arived in one piece. Kids really enjoyed the demolition part of this project!

Going to have to relocate some electrical

Removing the studs without damaging the drywal on the other side was rather challenging! Good thing this is not a load bearing wall!

Wire relocation is temporary I have plans on building an epuipment room around the tank and wiring will get i corporated into it

Post Thanks / Like
    Sump and stand modified and in place.

Unfortunate turn of events while cleaning the sump I noticed it was cracked in the move derectly below the pump inlet.
    So I’ve decided patch the opening with some quarter inch glass I had laying round and to go with a pair of in sump pumps and save the dart for another project

Post Thanks / Like
    sunday was hole cutting day! My kids thought it was great and kept coming over and placing food and drink orders lol!

iPhone camera makes it look so much smaller then in person

Post Thanks / Like
    Father in law was kind enough to come over and help lift the tank into position we found out quickly man power wasn’t going to cut it and we had to get creative!

Tank is in place huge sigh of relief!

My tall ceiling and iPhones camera lens make it look so small

Hoping to have moulding done this weekend and there’s plans for a mantel over the tank

Post Thanks / Like
    Got tank filled with hose water to test for leaks settling or and signs of stress has been doing great and water line perfectly level

Started work on the eguipment room. My ceiling is 11 feet high so I’m putting an 8 foot ceiling on room to give be storage space above it

Ok that gets me caught up for now more to come in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea big glass tanks are fun to move around! Looking good though! Not a surprise that you will be me by along shot and have water in there in no time.

Edit-well that was fast I didn't even get that post up before you had water in it, lol!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    Yea big glass tanks are fun to move around! Looking good though! Not a surprise that you will be me by along shot and have water in there in no time.

Edit-well that was fast I didn't even get that post up before you had water in it, lol!
    Thanks! and to be fair you doing a whole basment remodel at same time! And I’m kind of at a stand still myself now wallet is now empty and stuff will trickle in as overtime happens or bike sells haha

Post Thanks / Like

Hydroid’s 300

Wow, looks awesome and so jealous!!!
    What does your wife think of the hole in the wall?
    She will be happy to have more room in the bedroom though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUiOTE=ddwmedic;232478]Wow, looks awesome and so jealous!!!
    What does your wife think of the hole in the wall?
    She will be happy to have more room in the bedroom though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Only had the hole in wall for couple hours before I had tank in place so wasn’t to bad. And my father in law who is a finish carpenter by trade is working on the trim wood now so hoping the living side will be all cleaned up by this weekend
    Yes she does keep asking how much longer till I can move the current tank out haha
    Last edited by Hydroid; 09-05-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small progress update equipment room is framed and electrical and water plumbed in.

Sense funds are tight and I enjoy diy projects I decided to make my own filter sock box

Also trim around the front of tank is installed but needs paint. So with pumping up and running time to start the artistic part that I’m not good at rock sculpting

second pic was supposed to be a gif of watching it flow but not working anyone know how to post videos?

Post Thanks / Like
    That turned out sweet and looks like it should work out really good!

Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Is your filter box in the center of the sum, can you show and / or tell us the water path through the sump?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Nice! Is your filter box in the center of the sum, can you show and / or tell us the water path through the sump?

It’s actualy not center it is in the first chamber leaving room for other items like in sump skimmer until I get big one running and for media reactors heaters probs etc trying to make everything easy access is an interesting challenge

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblit View Post
    That turned out sweet and looks like it should work out really good!

Thanks I’m really happy with how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got equipment room 90% done. Tank has had water in it for couple weeks now. Only hold up is the number of lights I bought are woefully insufficient. I will be ordering more in next week or so. Hoping to have everything moved over sometime in November!

I’m definitely not an artist when it comes to rock work especially when I’m trying to figure out how to incorporate the rock that I will be moving over with the new rock I bought. Rock in middle is temporary till rock in current system is moved over

I have notice a possible issue with high humidity in the equipment room when the door is closed may have to add an exhaust fan and humidistat

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, nice! Will you sheet rock and or paint the fish room? Looking good...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Wow, nice! Will you sheet rock and or paint the fish room? Looking good...
    Really not sure yet want to see how the room maintained temperature through the winter as I don’t heat that side of house and see if i have any issues with condensation. And see if I needed to insulate the walls first I was tossing around the idea of using the plastic planeling for showers as it would handle moisture well but not sure yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. The rock work on the left is really nice.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Looks great. The rock work on the left is really nice.
    Thank you! I probably stacked that 3 dozen times till I got something I liked I’m hopping to end up with 3 mound/ columns I want more open sand area this time I have some large frogspawn hammer and torch colonies that I’m think of putting on top to give them more height