Thread: Heaters for Extra Large Tanks?

Post Thanks / Like

Heaters for Extra Large Tanks?

I may be putting together a 500-800 gallon (including sump) tank. I know a few people here have or had XL tanks. I'm wondering what the best water heaters would be for such a huge volume.
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is pretty much in the middle of that range. I have used 800 Watt Finnex heaters with no problems for a few years - until recently. All of the sudden my Apex energy bar started popping it's circuit breaker. I have no idea why but they started exceeding the amp load the energy bar would carry and popped the breaker, causing everything to lose power. I tried troubleshooting it before I went our of the country for 8 days, but the dang things kept popping and leaving everything unpowered for hours until my sons could reset it. ReefKoi let my son borrow some smaller heaters to get it by until I get back.

I've learned having something that can draw so much power all at once isn't something I want going in my tank. I try not to have any single point of failure parts for my tank, and I guess this was an area I didn't fully consider. I was thinking it was the energy bar's fault, but now I think the heaters started drawing more amps as they got older. I don't know.

I'm going to get some 500 watt, probably Finnex again because I want titanium and not glass. The 800's didn't;t have to run too often to keep my tank at 78 degrees. The 500's shouldn't have to run to much either.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing you have a small leak in one of them. It's causing a short which causes an over-current situation.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SpaceOps; 09-12-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.