Thread: DIY Chaeto Reactor -- Anyone made one?

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Chaeto Reactor -- Anyone made one?

I'm curious if anyone has made something like this and am wondering how well it's working, what lights you used, etc.
    https://reefbuilders.com/2016/08/31/...orpha-reactor/

Post Thanks / Like
    I considered it but made a 5 gallon bucket one instead. Works great and grows like crazy. Added some dragons breath and it has taken over.

Xyz from my silly phone.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think that these are more for show then for true nutrient removal. Hooked and I have done alot of experimental projects on macro algae nutrient growth and the tumble process seems to be the best. Reach out to Hooked and stop by and see his 90 gallon's sump. His chaeto has to be harvested no less than bi-weekly.

4. Likes ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious if anyone has found the best lighting for chaeto? I've not had good success with LED's on my algae scrubber and couldn't grow coralline algae under both MH and LED's. It only started growing when I switched back to power compacts.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Typical household incandescent 60 watt bulb is all you need. I have a marineland led light with two blue led strip attached to it over my seagrass tank, but that is only for temp coral storage if need be. At most I would recommend an LED bulb that fits in a clamp on fixture from walmart.

Not to be a know it all, but coraline grows in just about any high powered lit system . My guess is that you have a water quality issue with low calcium or strontium. My water is kept close to pristine, every tank is connected and every tank has LEDs over it and every tank has coraline. That being said, I have noticed that my slow water moving tanks produce much more coraline than others. However, there is a similar thread on MASC and this light was recommended by a fellow reefer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YX8YGY..._IxiGybQ9FXERE
    Last edited by static reef; 01-19-2017 at 03:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Static, is that light recommended for a refugium? I have been looking for a good led light to grow chaeto.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure that light would work fine, little expensive if you ask me, when a regular cfl will do the trick

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am doing an LED only tank and want to stay with LED for my refugium. Its really the last piece I need to purchase. I will be using a CFL as a short term solutioin.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a cheap led for my fuge, and works just fine.

Xyz from my silly phone.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by notchback5.0 View Post
    Static, is that light recommended for a refugium? I have been looking for a good led light to grow chaeto.
    Yes, but if you read my few posts before in this thread you will see that I think it is on the overkill side. Stick with a incandescent. It will more than likely grow some negative algaes in your refugium, as well as the desired macro, but remember that that is where we want it to grow (not in your dt).
    Quote Originally Posted by charleshardy5 View Post
    I'm sure that light would work fine, little expensive if you ask me, when a regular cfl will do the trick

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Yup!

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Notch- you can find a 25-30$ full spectrum led bulb on ebay that will fit in any household fixture if your dead set on led

Post Thanks / Like
    Part of the reason I use a refugium is for exactly what you said. The undesireables have always grown there and never in the display plus pods love using chaeto as a breeding ground. I am dead set on LED and unless for some reason I can not grow chaeto with it i will switch back. My last tank it grew so fast I had to throw it out ever couple weeks. Ive always had good sucess with macro. My last tank crashed due to a return pump failure and the guy watching my house never caught it so I came home to a dead tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this what you were referring to? They have 3 power options. I would probabaly opt for the 54 watt or the 80 watt. I ran a 100 watt 6500k CFL before.

https://www.amazon.com/Morsen-Spectr...l+spectrum+led

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by notchback5.0 View Post
    Is this what you were referring to? They have 3 power options. I would probabaly opt for the 54 watt or the 80 watt. I ran a 100 watt 6500k CFL before.

https://www.amazon.com/Morsen-Spectr...l+spectrum+led
    That'll do

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    Not to be a know it all, but coraline grows in just about any high powered lit system.
    The comment about coralline algae was just an aside but since we're talking about it...

Just had my 19th anniversary of keeping reef tanks (I installed the first when my daughter was born so it's easy to keep track ;-) ) and good coraline growth is the one thing that has always escaped me. I've had tanks across four different states, in seven different houses, used every kind of water including tap water, some crazy great well water, RO/DI and even fresh ocean water in Hawaii, used numerous additives, had great water quality and terrible water quality and used about every type of light available and despite adding live rock with purple coraline it rarely spreads.

The current tank has been up four years now and until I switched over to the power compacts coraline rarely grew and it happened almost instantly. I like to experiment on my tanks so one side had a 150w 14k Phoenix Metal Halide and on the other I had an Ecotech Radion. By contrast the PC's 4x 65w and a mix of actinic, purple and white.

No clue why the change but it happened fast.

Now, how to get that chaeto to tumble!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one of these laying around so I'm testing it on the chaeto. It never worked very well on my algae scrubber though.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNWK2XO/