Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 220

Post Thanks / Like

My new 220

My new tank, or Clints old tank is a 220. It's still in the back of my truck but I'm hoping to get it inside tomorrow. As per the urging from less tall members of the household, I'm starting to put a shorter stand together. I'm just going to post photos of it for now.. Seems kinda under built but I think it's still tough enough. Looking for any critiques. I'll probably add the doors after the tank is set up.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Basically an upper and lower torsion box out of 2x4 and 2x8 with a majority of the supports pocket hole screwed together. I've added veneer and glued it for appearance and a tiny bit of added strength.

I left the left and right side relatively open so I can slide the sump in and out easily, and left the front center brace off center to give me more working room down there.

Before I get to add water, I'll also need to post some 4x4s and a pair of jacks to my basement. The 220 is going against a wall that has double joists below it, but it runs parallel to the joists.. Unfortunately this is the only room that won't turn the tank into an algae farm with all the windows..

Any thoughts so far?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back! Looking forward to watching this build unfold. Stand looks great. Well thought out, and most importantly, perfect for the vertically challenged.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Post Thanks / Like
    So first major problem. I know houses aren't always level, and I know the floor slanted down a bit going to the back, but this seems almost too far. From the basement, it looks like the joist further from the wall is riding about a quarter inch higher than the others. Now I'm wondering if floor jacks will be enough to support this, or is this angle too great?image.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it looks like you finally got I moved in!!! Like the new stand. Where's the water?!?! lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta get salt first, haha. I'm just concerned about the tilting of the tank right now.. Once I put floor jacks in the basement I may end up filling it anyway, but it just doesn't look good tilted..

Post Thanks / Like
    Did u put a level on it to see if it is the floor or the wall that's not straight? If it's the one floor joist that's off a 1/4" maybe the weight of water will settle it back down-just compensate for it with your floor jacks. Or if you have help, take the tank off & attach a yardstick(or similar) to the bottom back part of your stand to shim it back level.

7. Likes Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish I would've had some salt for you. Get you some salt from petco for $45 a bucket. You will need 2--I think one bucket makes 160 gallons. Atleast you will be full & cycling!!!!!

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is unlevel your water weight will stress and bend your laminate floor. This is a common issue with big tanks. Dont stress. Pm sent

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpgimage.jpg

It's just the last foot of the floor sloping down. Up to that point it's level. It's causing the tank to have a half inch drop over a two foot span

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    If it is unlevel your water weight will stress and bend your laminate floor. This is a common issue with big tanks. Dont stress. Pm sent
    Was waiting for you to chime in. I told him about your system last night. Told him he needs to see it in person.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt. I have been talking to him throughout the day

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpg
    So I went out and try to get some stuff from outside the club.. Went to get a little pail of rock, middle of the night in a dark trailer park. First few inches were dead coral type rock, then a few yard stones, a vertebra spine bone, and a dog chew bone.

Just wanted to post because it's actually kinda funny I think. Lesson learned- check before you buy. Yard stones were kinda heavy making me think I might have gotten a killer deal, haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my God, lol. You should return half of it via their front window...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

15. Likes ddwmedic, maxthedog2000 liked this post
    Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonga branch I have for you is heavy!!!!!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Post Thanks / Like
    So what's the progress like?? Any luck?

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpg

It's coming along. I have some tweaking to do on some of the systems but it seems stable so far. I picked up some GSP from another member and it's looking pretty healthy.

I just a have some work to do on the skimmer and ato- the lady of the house isn't a fan of my big trash can I've got for the hallway so I need to work up something a bit smaller

Another week of it holding stable and I'll probably be looking at getting a decent cuc for the tank. I saw one aptasia so far so I'm sure there's more- so I may be looking at some peppermints with that order. I'm just afraid that if I do a butterfly or filefish, my future zoas and such may be at risk

19. Likes Murfman liked this post
    Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jon, you can use photobucket to host images. use the "IMG" tag and you can show larger images in your posts.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of stacking rock (like that) normally, but you killed it. Mixing tonga and regular is a pain in the butt. Great job

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, rock stacking is one of my least favorite parts... I was half tempted to just stack against the back wall. I like the "island" concept with rocks, but it's a tall tank and tough for me to stack them straight up without being afraid of them toppling. I'll be sure to get more photos through the photobucket soon. Once I get things feeling stable, it'll hopefully look a bit better. I'm still waiting for my initial algae bloom before I get a cuc and some real frags

23. Likes Murfman liked this post
    Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can drill the rock with a masonry drill bit and use acrylic rod to hold the rock in place.

The New glass 300 build