Thread: DIY 6 gallon biocube led conversion

Post Thanks / Like

DIY 6 gallon biocube led conversion

I thought I'd share my DIY led conversion project. I have been wanting to do this project for quite some time but never got around to it. Couple weeks ago the power compact that was in this tank started to flicker, I decide it was time to stop procrastinating.

The tank is a JBJ 6 gallon biocube style running a single 12" power compact bulb. Current live stock are various soft corals and a long lived single snail.
    Parts 9"x5" aluminum plate, 10-3w LEDs, old 19v laptop power supply I had laying around and a custom dimmable driver (hooked)

Gutting old lighting system

The only parts I kept were the 12v fans

I was able to use two of the factory screws and holes to mount my aluminum plate

Led mounting and wiring complete I was able to use the factory strain relief on power cord

First light up (the one that looks dim is UV)

Everything fit with clear cover back on with plenty of room left over and pot placement on outside. Still looking for a clean way to cover old switch hole.

Everything back together and up and running. Corals still adjusting to new light but color is so much better.

Special thanks to "hooked" for his fountain of knowledge and help with supplies

2. Likes xsocali, hooked , moerena liked this post

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice,glad that we have a lighting guru in our club.

4. Thanks Hydroid thanked you for this post
    Likes Hydroid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! But I think dabbler would be a more apt title for me. Hooked is the guru. Lol