Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CD's upgrade!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    HBL & turbojoe. Thanks a bunch. I was finally able to get a refugium big enough to work so I'm going to give it time. I've always contemplated an ATS tho so might have to figure it out. Might need help tho.

Turbojoe--ur more than welcome to come check out my setup & give me ur advice/suggestions. Always good to get another opinion on things.

I started a blackout period & dosing hydrogen peroxide. I researched a lot & heard it works. Fingers crossed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, I also upsized my CUC last week. Now I'm just hoping that my new snails don't die if they eat this algae if it is dinos.
    Guess time will tell all. Win some - loose some.

Registered User ShakingHorizons's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried vacuuming the sand in the algae areas?
    "An aquarium is a hole between sheets of glass that the aquarist fills with money."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakingHorizons View Post
    Have you tried vacuuming the sand in the algae areas?
    No I haven't vacuumed the sand in troubled areas because it's new sand all but what I used to seed it & I don't wanna take out the good bacteria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also could y'all give me your opinions on the best way to arrange my 2,xf150's & 2,MP40wQD for the best water movement. Right now I have the MP40WQD one each end withe the XF150's on the back wall. But the xf150's are making a hole along the glass right in the center up front.
    Just trying to get ideas!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I might try the gyres on the ends and mp's on the back maybe to help flow in the corners or low flow spots?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try with one of the gyre mounts vertically on either side of the tank running along the back of the tank, the other gyre mounts horizontally running along the top of the tank. One of the vortech will be on the opposite sides of the gyre that mounts horizontally, and the other vortech right in the middle of the tank on the back wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    With dinos don't do water changes it makes it worse. Siphon the sand bed either do a Water change into a bucket with a filter sock then put the water back in the tank or use a pump with a filter sock zip tied on.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking tank. Love the stand and canopy build the best.

As far as the wavemakers. I would switch the setup with gyre on both sides and MPs on the rear. Wave pattern with the gyre and a else or lagoon mode on the MPs. That should give you a really nice eradication inside.

Thinking about a controller for this "beast"?

Post Thanks / Like
    ddwmedic---thanks. That was going to be my first attempt. Maybe it will work.

HBL---why do you suggest not gyre vertical & the other horizontal? It is a combo that I probably never would have thought of but I'm still learning with these pump.

Sharkboy99999---thanks for the input. I did read about water changes with Dino's. I do like your strategy to siphon sand tho. Thanks.

Static reef--- thank you for the compliment. Like stated above, I'm still trying to figure these pumps out. . Thanks for the setting inputs along with placement. As far as controllers go, I have a Reer keeper elite but still playing with it also. I always kept it pretty simple in my other tank so just now getting to play with technology!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello again!! So I dosed hydrogen peroxide for 10 days. Went lights out for four days. Moved my pumps around--MP40WQD's on back wall, gyre one the right is vertical with one flow along front and the other along the back. The other gyre is on the left, horizontal, with one flow up to water surface and the other across the middle. My sand is still brown in spots but not stringy with bubbles anymore, as of the last week. I cut my lights back to 6 1/2 hrs a day. Hopefully now it's just diatoms but still being cautious.
    Meanwhile I'm waiting for all this to pass, I'm trying to figure out a fish stocking list---do all you experts think I could by with 8-10 large fish (6 tangs, fox face, maybe a trigger), a blenny, a wrasse, copper band butterfly & a shoal of 10-15 small fish?? What are your thoughts on that list in a 500 gallon tank--to many?? I would take me awhile of course!!
    Thanks. Have a great day.

13. Likes ddwmedic liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    You hit the head of the nail with "take a while." 500 is a big tank. I would assume that you would be ok with the number rule which is an inch of fish per gallon, but rules suck and are made to be broken.

I cant remember, do you have a CUC in the tank? Dont stress your early algae. Sounds like you took the necessary actions to rid your self of it.

I think the real problem you face is your order of placement. Not to sure on your tang choices (sohals, achilles and powders are def picky eaters and should be started early in your stock list), but I would start with your copperband for sure. Get him comfortable and eating with his choice of hiding place. Sissy tangs and fox face would be second and followed up with your schooling fish and your blenny. Once they are established, go with your wrasse (should be an adequate amount of tiny snacks crawling around in your rock work which should deter him from bullying your smaller fish). Then end with your more aggresive tangs like purples.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Static reef--- thank you for the compliment. Like stated above, I'm still trying to figure these pumps out. . Thanks for the setting inputs along with placement. As far as controllers go, I have a Reer keeper elite but still playing with it also. I always kept it pretty simple in my other tank so just now getting to play with technology!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Def recommend the apex (or similar) once you get the ball rolling. The leak detectors will be well worth the cost for a 500 in your living room. Wiring a tank for complete automation once it has been established is extremely time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

CD's upgrade!!!

Static--thanks for the input. I have a reef keeper elite now but haven't figured out all the bells & whistles of it just yet. Are they as good as apex? Also I do have a CUC, bought one that was suggested for a 265 gallon tank.
    Glad to hear that I'd be ok with the number of fish. I'm amazed that you recommend the Achilles & power blue early on tho. Those are two that I want but figured they would be towards the end along with my purple. But thank you for your advice & support.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    You got it. Reefkeeper is a good unit, but does a fraction of what the apex can do. Not needed obviously, but very effective and your cool guy factor jumps 1,000 when you tell people that that is the brain for your reef. Haha.

Achilles and blues are ich magnets. Best to have them in that nice big tank first where they are the boss and not scared of their reflection. If you were to drop them in a tank with 20 other classmates they will/could get scared, pop ich and crush everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know you're not exactly close, but if you need any fish/inverts brought in I can get most anything you'd want at any given time at the store up north. Ends up being pretty darn cheap on shipment days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Static---sounds like I'm gonna have to get me an apex!! Lol. Makes complete sense about the tangs!! Thanks.

JimG--- that sounds like a great idea. When I'm ready, probably after first of year, what would be the best way to get a hold of you to place my orders??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FunFishin24 View Post
    Static---sounds like I'm gonna have to get me an apex!! Lol. Makes complete sense about the tangs!! Thanks.

JimG--- that sounds like a great idea. When I'm ready, probably after first of year, what would be the best way to get a hold of you to place my orders??

440-452-2350

Just shoot me a text with your info so I can save it in my phone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's still not pretty but this is what it looks like today.

It's pretty in one aspect....pretty empty. lol!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty empty, pretty damn big, and pretty awesome! Can't wait to see it in person.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

23. Likes ddwmedic liked this post