Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CD's upgrade!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for showing that. I'm looking at doing something similar with another refugium.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe-- anytime. The only downfall to refugium set up like this is that natural food source, such as pods, has to make it through the return pump before entering the tank. All of them don't make it but a lot do. That is why some people try to elevate their fuge above their DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have a big refugium in part of my sump now. The pods seem to do well enough with it. I've been planning to add a shallow reef to my system, but was going to just have it gravity feed into my current sump. I just posted an image of what I'm thinking of doing now after seeing the way you have the extra tank set up off to the side. Since your display has a LOT of real estate, let me know when you get ready to add a bunch of frags. I have a whole lot I need to clear out. SPS, LPS and softies.

I have another question for you. I see on the end of some of your pipes you used a T piece, extended it out and capped it on the extra side rather than just using a 90 degree elbow. What's the concept behind that?

Registered User Alexander.Africa's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FunFishin24 View Post
    Had a buddy of mine do some electrical for me. 2-20 amp breakers just for my tank. Return pump & skimmer are now on a switch outlet. No more unplugging for maintenance!!

Also got an old 150 gallon tank I had laying around, cleaned & drilled for my refugium.
    Then built a table above it for my water & mixing station after I got the refugium all plumbed in.

System looks awesome! Love it!

TheGreat1

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Great job on everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome build, what part of the country do you live in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the kind words. Really appreciate you all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Awesome build, what part of the country do you live in?

I live in pueblo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I currently have a big refugium in part of my sump now. The pods seem to do well enough with it. I've been planning to add a shallow reef to my system, but was going to just have it gravity feed into my current sump. I just posted an image of what I'm thinking of doing now after seeing the way you have the extra tank set up off to the side. Since your display has a LOT of real estate, let me know when you get ready to add a bunch of frags. I have a whole lot I need to clear out. SPS, LPS and softies.

I have another question for you. I see on the end of some of your pipes you used a T piece, extended it out and capped it on the extra side rather than just using a 90 degree elbow. What's the concept behind that?
    Hey joe, sorry for late reply. The cap on the T fittings have holes drilled in the top of them so that the water doesn't airlock since it is gravity fed. The one entering my fuge I had to modify a little because it was getting to much air from the overflow. I ended up cutting the pipe that went down into the water & put a 45 on it so it flows into the top. I got the idea from "coralvue" when I contacted them to try and reduce micro bubbles.

10. Thanks Joe thanked you for this post
    Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is your garage heated ?
    Did you have to add extra heaters since it sits in the garage?
    SOOO jealous!!! Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    Is your garage heated ?
    Did you have to add extra heaters since it sits in the garage?
    SOOO jealous!!! Nice

Good catch!!! . Well I ended upgrading heaters anyway. My others were old & to small for tank. I'm using 800watt titanium heaters now. But I did end up putting the blue foam insulation around as much as I could until I build a partition wall in garage.

13. Likes Joe, ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well crap... thought I was battling diatoms but now I think it might be Dino's. So soon?? not even 2 weeks after transfer.
    Thoughts & suggestions??

I added a big carbon reactor this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out Vibrant. I read a bunch of reviews that seemed really positive. I got a bottle and it took care of some dino issues that cropped up in my temp tank. http://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-reviews

Otherwise lights off for three days, blasting it with a baster and catching it in a filter sock or net. Check for phosphates and if high, you could add some lanthanum chloride in your skimmer or into a low micron filter sock. I use Seaklear Phosphate remover periodically and so do others on the forum like Murphman. https://smile.amazon.com/WQA-Certifi...sphate+remover

After blasting them off the rocks and catching as much as you can in filter socks or a net, do a water change.

Article about it here. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog...sons-i-learned

16. Likes Sharkboy99999 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

CD's upgrade!!!

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I know it's hard from pictures (especially crappy cell phone pics) but can you give me your thoughts on the type of algae it is. I hate to start throwing the moon at it if it is just diatoms that will relatively go away on their own. If it is Dino's I will approach it differently. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Add some flow, cut back lights some, increase CUC, and skim wet.

Xyz from my silly phone.

19. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The bubbles make me think Dinos. They normally start stringing upwards with the bubbles.

Check out this id guide. https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

JJ's tips are good non-nuclear options, if it's diatoms more clean up crew will help for sure, but I would cut the lights off for three days rather than cut back. It would just work faster and the cycle will still continue. I have a pretty good clean up cream and skim wet anyway.
    I'd be comfortable with adding the vibrant or lanthanum - if the rocks and sand had phosphates locked up in them and are leaching out, it would help remove that. However, each tank is different and I would never recommend anyone do something they aren't comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know people have had success using hydrogen peroxide dosing as well.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Kirby

My little slice of the ocean
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228

22. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all that have replied with suggestions. Hopefully I can beat it soon. Ugly....

Post Thanks / Like
    The most effective and natural way for me to beat all types of algae is running algae scrubber. I have tried multiple method to export nutrient including: dosing sugar, dosing vodka, dosing vinegar, biopellet, carbon and gfo, consistent water changed and running an algae scrubber. I have found that running an algae scrubber is the most stable of all without keeping up with any type of measurements, except the initial measurement to build an algae scrubber adequate to handle your total volume of water. I highly suggest running one if you don't already have one.

25. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with algae scrubber. I beat dinoflagellates using an ATS and three day blackout. You have to make sure the light is 100% blocked during the blackout. I tried pretty much every thing else you can imagine before giving in and doing the blackout. Wish I would have tried it first. Good luck.

BTW, I'm in Pueblo and would love to check out the tank sometime.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

27. Likes Joe, ddwmedic liked this post