Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Mega LED Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Instead of thermal epoxy, Hooked recommended this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/121975508731?_...l2649&_mwBanne r=1
    2 on order.
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    It has 6 channels output. I'm controlling 14 with it. That's why I went with the to220pkg. It can handle I think 5 amps.
    Trying to picture this. So you're inserting the to22pkg voltage controllers into the 6 paths between the bluefish and 14 CAT4101s? Why is that necessary?

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceOps View Post
    Trying to picture this. So you're inserting the to22pkg voltage controllers into the 6 paths between the bluefish and 14 CAT4101s? Why is that necessary?
    I'm interrupting the ground path of the 14 cats. That way I can control more than 6 devises. The pwm into the cats is solid on. I had bleed over when tying directly to the pwm input of more than 1 cat at a time. So now I just control the grounds with the pwm from the bluefish.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

90g sps Reef, DIY LED Lighting.
    180g Reef - rebirth started Jan 2013
    260g Coral Propagation System.

Go dtí go bhfilleann sé abhaile!

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not use the Bluefish Power Dimmer. "One power input and two outputs means the Power Dimmer functions as a splitter. Each Power Dimmer has 2 channels of control, and can handle up to 120W per channel. The Power Dimmer modulates the power to your LEDs with a PWM signal from the Bluefish controller." Essentially, you can control 12 strings of LEDs. The downside is the cost--$180 for six controllers (12 strings). You have to wonder what's inside. For $30 it might be worth reverse engineering.
    https://aquarium-led-controller.com/...-power-dimmer/

It appears to be pretty simple. A transistor, a resistor and an external DC source? http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/34415...n-line-dimmer/

Post Thanks / Like
    Doyle, I think I found the issue with the Bluefish Mini. It's printed on the board that it 's only compatible with the MeanWell LDD-H rivers. It only puts out 3.3V compared to the 5V output of the Bluefish. I'm going to hedge my bet and get the Bluefish and one power dimmer. It's more expensive but I hope it'll resolve the issue you had.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Doyle, I think I found the issue with the Bluefish Mini. It's printed on the board that it 's only compatible with the MeanWell LDD-H rivers. It only puts out 3.3V compared to the 5V output of the Bluefish. I'm going to hedge my bet and get the Bluefish and one power dimmer. It's more expensive but I hope it'll resolve the issue you had.
    All that was needed to use the mini was to change the input resistor to the transistor. I looked at the power dimmer and decided not to go that route. I did what their 30.00 circuit did and it cost me about .32 cents each. And was able to make it as a splitter as well. Significant savings.
    Doyle

"It's better to be silent and thought the fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think I'm only getting one PowerPWM? ;D

I considered the Storm X because it had so many PWM outputs but I like the wireless feature of the Bluefish and Mini. I've always wanted a fish cam, and I see the Bluefish also allows cam inputs.

Post Thanks / Like
    All that was needed to use the mini was to change the input resistor to the transistor. I looked at the power dimmer and decided not to go that route. I did what their 30.00 circuit did and it cost me about .32 cents each. And was able to make it as a splitter as well. Significant savings.
    Sorry. I wasn't being critical. Just exchanging ideas about the bleed-over.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm tracking. That's how things get accomplished. Exchanging ideas and progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Doyle

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    I ve been in this hobby for 10 years and have around 1500 gallos of tanks in my house. Can someone tell me why I dont understand 66% of the words in this thread?

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind. Just got it......

Doyle!

Post Thanks / Like
    There will be pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the PWM dimmer. It's actually very simple. I deciphered the circuit and made my own diagram. DigiKey had everything I needed.

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    At least it is easy to diplicate. Don't know the # off the top of my head. But they look like mosfets. How many of them do you need for your project? Did you get the controller also?

Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    At least it is easy to diplicate. Don't know the # off the top of my head. But they look like mosfets. How many of them do you need for your project? Did you get the controller also?

Yes, MOSFETs and 10K resistors. 1 each per side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doyle, wondering if you have the answer to this one. The CAT4101 circuits I see on the OnSemi documentation only shows one resistor, RSET, but every circuit I see online is also adding capacitors, typically 1 if. Any idea why they're using caps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Doyle, wondering if you have the answer to this one. The CAT4101 circuits I see on the OnSemi documentation only shows one resistor, RSET, but every circuit I see online is also adding capacitors, typically 1 if. Any idea why they're using caps?
    I think I found the answer. According to the documentation, "VIN is the supply pin for the device. A small 0.1mF ceramic bypass capacitor is optional for noisy environments."

SCMAS President

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree. On all of my circuit designs I put de-coupling caps on all of the chips. Between vcc and ground. Sprinkled in like pepper. It can't hurt and they are cheap.

Doyle

Post Thanks / Like
    So based on the CAT4101 specs, I can only apply a max of 25VDC to each LED string. The 2W LEDs are averaging 3.2-3.4V each, so I can have a max of 7 LEDs per CAT4101 driver.

There are 6 PWM outputs from the BlueFish. The PWM dimmers (MOSFETs) can support 2 outputs each, so that doubles the BlueFish outputs to 12. I may just try driving LEDs directly from the PWM dimmers anyway, since they can handle up to 40VDC each. That's potentially 480V of LEDs (approx 140 3W LEDs at 3.2-3.4V per LED), which would be extreme overkill.

My 150g has 8 square feet of water surface area, so I would normally aim for 20-25W per square foot (160-200W total), which would require 7-8 3W LEDs per square foot running at full power, or 56-64 LEDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the PWM dimmer schematic. As I said, very simple. Two channels in, two out. The left and right halves are electrically identical.
    Last edited by SpaceOps; 12-19-2016 at 02:23 PM.