Thread: DIY LED success with SPS?

Post Thanks / Like

DIY LED success with SPS?

I'm looking to compare notes with anyone who has made their own LED systems and have had real success with SPS, particularly branching SPS. I'd really like to see your pics and learn which LEDs you're using. I made my first LED system years ago using 560 5mm LEDs that took a week to mount into the sheet aluminum, and then solder the LED and resistor leads together in series and parallel, then to connect the buck pucks, potentiometers and power supplies. I added a few white Crees later. The I can't remember clearly, but I think the blue Crees may not have been available at the time. They actually worked great, and my corals really took off. These replaced 3 x 250W 14,000K MH. Some time later I sold that 180G tank and ended up with a 150G with 2 x 400W MH and a couple VHOs. I replaced them with 230W of DIY LEDs (1/3 each of white, blue and royal blue Crees), which also did a great job.
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, it seemed longer ago, but I placed the order for the 5mm LEDs in Sep 2010 for a total of 620 Cree 5mm LEDs (white, blue and royal blue). 5mm LEDs are the ones that look like little button lights. https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about...what-is-an-led
    Northernmost SPS aquarium in the US.