Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 300DD with basement build - so it begins ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some free time on Sunday's evening, so I spent it buffing out my acrylic frag tank and tied it to the system.

I also decided to put my other frag tank where the utility sink supposed to go, since the basement's bathroom is right next door included a stand up shower so there is a way for me to clean up the equipment if needed. I might regret the decision, but since the frag tank is small enough that I could easily taken it down and move it later if necessary.

Yesterday, I cut into the main water line to hook up the RODI unit. Decided to go with some push fittings, tee off from the basement's bathroom cold water line into a washer machine's 1/2" ball valve since I already have the connection from the ball valve to the RODI unit. Next step is to finish the water change station by plumbing to the first floor (somehow i managed to convince the wife for permission to cut a hole in the wall, so i went bought a keyhole saw right away ... lol)

Also, received the 2" ball valve for main tank drain and this thing is huge compare to the 1" valve next to it!

2. Likes Joe, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So, finally finished the water change station and got it filled over the weekend. I had to cut a hole in the wall for the shortest distance going up, so I could use a smaller pump (roughly 1150 gph)

Put in the durso stand pipes, the main drain and blocked out the heating vent to run drain/return lines.

While dry fitting the main drain, I dropped a 2" pipe and crack my multi-chambers refugium. Made like I've took one step forward then two steps back. The crack will definitely cause a leak, and could be repaired but I didn't really want to take that chance.

Luckily, I found and made a deal with a MASC member for a trigger 34" sump while taking the wife shopping Sunday's evening in Denver. The sump was in really good condition after a wash.

Drilled the newly acquired refugium to fit the 2" bulkhead, and also built the skimmer stand to run the skimmer external with some left over plywood. I think I like it better this way now that I have more space on the rack to possibly fit a ATO container.

The DC12000 should be here near the end of the week, so next is to hook up the manifold and the frag tanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4. Likes hooked liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pick up 3 unused sea swirls from JJ. Two of them are 1" and i believe the other one is a 3/4". One of the 1" is working without any work needed to be done, so i mounted on the tank to see how it would look. It stands out quite a lot but i don't think it would be a problem once I built a canopy for the tank. The other two do not work, but the motors seem to be working so that's good news. This work out perfectly, since i could use the two 1" for the main tank and the 3/4" for the larger frag tank.

looks like this one just need a good cleaning and replacing a few screws. Hopefully i could find similar screw without needing to modify anything.

6. Likes Bpfish, static reef liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some work done today hooking up the manifold with the DC12000, the return lines, and the main drain.

8. Likes xsocali liked this post

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good,great planning.

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bao is the new Marty!
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

11. Likes xsocali liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take that as a compliment Paul, but compare to Marty's DIY skills, i'm a bit embarrassed excepting the compliment.

Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    think of adding another drain from your refugium down to your sump to prevent clauging. Spoken from experience. 2 is better than one. looks great.

14. Thanks HBL thanked you for this post
    Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust me, your work is top notch. One thing, insulate those pipes going through the floor, they tend to vibrate.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

16. Thanks HBL thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    think of adding another drain from your refugium down to your sump to prevent clauging. Spoken from experience. 2 is better than one. looks great.
    I was a little reluctant drilling another hole in the refugium, but since it already has a small hole drilled to fit a float valve I could expanded it to fit a 1" emergency drain to the sump. You're right, better be safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfman View Post
    Trust me, your work is top notch. One thing, insulate those pipes going through the floor, they tend to vibrate.
    Thanks Paul! I didn't even think of insulating those pipes. I will need to look into what kind of insulation i could use when making a cover for that heating vent.

Great Mahjong: Classic Champion!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop by today and this is going to be an amazing setup.

20. Likes HBL, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xsocali View Post
    Stop by today and this is going to be an amazing setup.
    Thank you for stopping by and gave such a great idea to insulate the bottom of the water change station to keep heating loss to a minimum

22. Likes Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an awesome build in the making. Can't wait to follow this.

Mullet Drift

24. Likes HBL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlidingYeti View Post

Mullet Drift
    Thanks!

I had some friends came over on Sunday to help getting the tank sits evenly on the tank so i can finish the plumbing. The sand is being ordered, so this tank will be wet soon. Stay tune.

26. Thanks SlidingYeti thanked you for this post
    Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like your planning & your whole build. I sure wish I would've thought to insulate the bottom of my sump in my build. Can't wait to see it when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlidingYeti View Post

Mullet Drift
    Quote Originally Posted by FunFishin24 View Post
    I really like your planning & your whole build. I sure wish I would've thought to insulate the bottom of my sump in my build. Can't wait to see it when your done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for tagging along guys. I'm happy with the progress so far and excited to see the plan coming along.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so stoked! Got 2 20 amps circuits hooked up dedicated for just the tanks. Tested the frag tank lighting and I'm liking it.

30. Likes Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to see it up and running. You are making a really awesome setup!
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Joe!

It is getting so close. My rocks and sand have arrived. Only waiting for a few small plumping parts for the frag tank, then i could actually get this tank wet.

33. Likes ddwmedic liked this post