Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 300DD with basement build - so it begins ...

Post Thanks / Like

My 300DD with basement build - so it begins ...

This will be my first ever build thread. So here it goes ...

I have moved into my own place now for nearly four months and finally have the space for my fish tanks and fish room. For those that were wondering ... Yes, I did go look at houses for the sole purpose of having my own space for fish/reef related stuff

I will be converting the formal dining room to house the 300DD and a 40 gallon ZeroEdge. Below the dining room is an oversize furnace/heating/storage area that i will be converting to a fish room.

Fish tanks display room:

Basement fish room:

I have been slowly hoarding some equipment to get ready for the build. Some of the equipment i have on hand, while others are deals that i found from fellow members from this club and MASC, and also through Craiglist. Sometime you just have to ask, a lot of the members are hoarders ;P

Lighting:
    3 AI sols with controllers
    3 250w HQI Hamilton magnetic ballast
    2 Lumen Max Elite Mogul Reflectors (will need one more to complete the set)

Sumps:
    Top: Multi chambers refugium
    Bottom: Custom sump 60Lx22Wx18H

Return Pumps:
    2 Iwaki MD-100RLT (only use one for return. the other will be for back up)

Skimmer:
    Octopus Hurricone Cat 2e skimmer

Dosing:
    Vertex RX4 calcium reactor

Flow:
    4 Jebao RW15s
    1 Jebao CP-40 Cross Flow

Waterchange station:
    2 100 water storage tanks
    Iwaki MD-55RLT

Though i'm still missing some equipment, I feel that I have gathered enough equipment and comfortable with starting this new journey. I do get lazy with document all the steps, but will definitely try to keep this thread up to date.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a pretty good deals on the two 100 gallons water storage tanks + pumps, and didn't really paid attention to the measurement. I came home to find out that the tanks will not fit through the doorway to my basement. The entrance to the basement has the width clearance of roughly 29 and a 1/2 inches while the tanks measure 31 inches.

I was getting close to posing the storage tanks backup for sale, but my hard head wouldn't want to give it up so i ended up spending the Saturday finding ways to take apart the basement windows. One side of my basement window is a removable sash but the other side is stationary. I did have to cut into the window a bit, but luckily no damage was done (good thing because this is without the wife pre-approval).

I moved the storage tanks into place and did some dry pvc fitting and it looks like the water station will fit in the area nicely.

Will need to finish up the water change station, then look for a utility sink and hook it up in the other corner. The area looks fitting since the drainage is right there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Bao! I'm really glad some one else tore something up to get their equipment in.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not planning to finish the fish room, but anyone has pro's and con's regarding not putting up walls around the sumps are (humidity issue, etc...)?

If I was to finish it, I will only put up walls to cover the insulation materials using those fiberglass wall panels. Can I go without covering the insulation?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Awesome Bao! I'm really glad some one else tore something up to get their equipment in.
    Thanks Joe. At least now I have a way to bring other things to the basement window if necessary.

6. Likes maxthedog2000, Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Realized I needed tools, so time to start collecting ...

8. Likes ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is open in the room in my basement and I keep a bathroom fan on constantly above the tank (sump in your case). That seems to take care of the humidity. In the winter I turn off the fan sometimes because the extra humidity circulates and is actually helpful then. Right now I have about 625 gallons in tanks and sumps in there plus my 55 gallon RO container and 55 gallon salt container. I don't heat either of the 55 gallon barrels.
    Don't look here for a comment.

11. Thanks HBL thanked you for this post
    Likes Alexander.Africa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, that's really helpful information. I could keep the fan from my AC unit running to keep the air circulate during the summer. In the winter, heat is running so the air also get circulated.

I have much less total gallons of water in my basement than yours, so I don't think I need to do anything extra to handle the humidity. If anything, I will run some extra fans like you suggested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkboy99999 View Post
    Looks awesome!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to replace the current 1" bulkhead on the top sump with a 2" bulkhead I already have on hand, but did a terrible drilling job. Long story short, I anchor a piece of wood on the inside to hold my drill bit and it slipped on me. Luckily, the bulkhead kindof hides the mistake a bit on the outside. The acrylic is still smooth on the inside of the tank, so I think it will pass the leak test. We will see ...

I have now connected the two sumps and dry fitted the return pump. The building progress is slow, but things are coming together quote nicely.

15. Likes ddwmedic liked this post
    Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HBL View Post
    I'm not planning to finish the fish room, but anyone has pro's and con's regarding not putting up walls around the sumps are (humidity issue, etc...)?

If I was to finish it, I will only put up walls to cover the insulation materials using those fiberglass wall panels. Can I go without covering the insulation?

You don't have to cover the insulation. It does help keep the room warmer.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

Wine is for wisdom, beer is for strength, but bourbon is the water of life.

The New glass 300 build
    http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ghost

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HBL View Post

You don't have to cover the insulation. It does help keep the room warmer.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Cousteau

The New glass 300 build

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep a window cracked, even in winter, unless below Zero, to deal with the humidity.

The New glass 300 build

19. Thanks HBL thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If I keep a window cracked in the summer months and it is enough to deal with the humidity, then I won't need to keep my AC fan on all day. As for winter, I doubt that the wife will approve. But I think Joe is right, at my house, the extra humidity in the winter will actually be a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    What do you guys think about my current floor support?

From the picture, behind the insulation is the concrete foundation, and there's roughly 6 feet between the concrete foundation and the I-Beam. The 300DD sits perpendicular with the floor joints, and parallel with the metal I-Beam. The tank sits right in the middle of the concrete foundation and the I-Beam. From my research, I think this is more than enough to support the tank and everything contained in and on it, which is roughly 5000 lbs. Am I taking this issue too lightly, or should I call in a structure engineer for some professional opinions?

Site Administrator
    Diamond Mine Champion!
    Fruit Twirls Champion!
    Queen Jewel Champion!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it is sitting on the concrete and I beam you are good. Those floor joists are heavy duty too so they will take the weight. You could always put a 2x12, on its side, across them and a couple of Jack posts if you wanted more support.

The New glass 300 build

23. Likes HBL, maxthedog2000 liked this post
    Public Relations Liasion

Post Thanks / Like
    This is awesome. Really excited for you. Welcome to the big boy tank group bao

25. Likes HBL liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by static reef View Post
    This is awesome. Really excited for you. Welcome to the big boy tank group bao
    Thanks brother! Took a while but it is coming along nicely

Post Thanks / Like
    So I haven't got much time to work on the build lately due to being busy getting the house winterized, and truck shopping since my old faithful 02 Toyota Camry finally gave up on me.

I did, however, gather some odds and ends for the build such as the bulk head strainers and the sound dampening pads from BRS for the external pumps. I also build a manifold which will run all the reactors and 2 small frag tanks with a DC12000 pump.

I've also dry fitted the durso stand pipes for overflows. The plan for the overflow plumping is to use 2 of the 4 one inch bulkheads as tank drains, one on each side of the overflows. The remaining 1" bulkhead on the right side of the tank will be use as an emergency drain with a straight standpipe, and the other one on the left side will be use for return connecting to a 1" seaswirl (if i can find one for a decent price).

28. Likes Joe, ddwmedic, hooked liked this post