Thread: It's a Dog's Life

Post Thanks / Like

It's a Dog's Life

Shortly after getting my reef tank started I got another tank that I decided to use as a FOWLR tank. This is going to be a grow out tank for me and these fish until I do something larger for them.

Mistake or not I plumbed my reef and FOWLR together into the same fuge and sump in the cellar. I drilled the back of this tank in 3 spots. Two for the DIY overflow and one for a return.

DIY Overflow

The kids had a blast putting sand in after it was all plumbed

I used some rock from the reef tank and did a rough temp scape.

This tank must be a FOWLR so I can have a few fish I have always wanted... Lion fish, Humu, and a puffer. My wife is specific that it must be a dog face puffer "because they are so cute, with cute little puppy dog eyes". There are other residents of this tank but those are the main reason!

The tank as it sits now

The namesake of this build/post going to bed for the night snoozing.

The King of the Jungle... Or tank in this case!

Other inhabitants that have been too fast to get a picture of are but will add when I get a decent picture.

Lunar Wrass

Kole Tang

Humu

Undulating Trigger

All of these fish are so fun and have such awesome personalities. And they are PIGS when it comes to eating! We are training the puffer to play fetch and bring a plastic cube back when we put it in the tank!

In the midst of starting this tank I have also been working on a 45 corner horse tank so keep your eyes out for that thread in the not too distant future it already has some livestock! And a 55 dirt bottom planted Discus tank!

Carter

2. Likes ddwmedic, Murfman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great !! you plumbed your reef and fowler together ? I wouldn't have done that for two major reason one fowler is going to pumping out a ton of nutrients and second disease and treatments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carter is such a liar... I drilled that tank, don't let him tell you any different! He's going to end up replacing it with a sweet 110 and uv filter, so don't worry about it being plummed to reef!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
    Carter is such a liar... I drilled that tank, don't let him tell you any different! He's going to end up replacing it with a sweet 110 and uv filter, so don't worry about it being plummed to reef!

LOL man called out !!

6. Likes ddwmedic liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post

Ugh, I hate when your right Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrypueblo View Post
    LOL man called out !!

Carter

Post Thanks / Like
    What type of tubing did you use for the black stuff on your overflow and return?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmedic View Post
    What type of tubing did you use for the black stuff on your overflow and return?
    It's "IPS 80 PSI Poly Pipe UTY" pipe traditionally used for sprinkler systems.
    I just ran hot water or hot air from a hair dryer through it to get it too flex where I wanted.

Carter

10. Likes ddwmedic liked this post