Thread: Is this skimmer working properly? (video)

Post Thanks / Like

Is this skimmer working properly? (video)

New to the reef side of things. The skimmer was given to me for free by Nightstar when I picked up the cube, as I didn't have any reef equipment.

It took me a while to sit down and hook it up, but I did tonight. It took a few tries to get it dialed in, initially some trial and error ended in error. Cleaned up the water, dialed things down a bit, and I think it's working OK now, but I wanted to have someone take a look who had more real world experience. (maybe it's still to wet?)

I'll be checking on it in an hour or two just to be sure things are still going smoothly. Right now the overflow/drain is set to drain back into the sump, through a 200 micron filter sock. There's some water in the collection cup from when I had the return flow too constricted, drained most but didn't bother getting it all out.

Based on the product design I assume that's not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    You might want to dial back down just a touch to get the level you want for when you change the drain to make sure you don't run your sump low. I would start with a dryer skim and work your way towards wetter if you like. I prefer a wetter skim, but until you get some time with it running, dryer is safer to prevent overflows. I know it's not going to overflow and lose water while you have it draining back into the sump, but you should be working towards collecting and disposing all of your skimmate.
    Don't look here for a comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    You might want to dial back down just a touch
    Ha, good call. I went to check on it and it was much foamier than just 45 min. before. I figured a used skimmer would kick in quicker, but I wasn't expecting that much change. Emptied the cup again, dialed it wayyy back, and now I'll check in another hour or so.